the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

stadium news

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 7 of 7]

151 Re: stadium news on Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:07 pm

A domed stadium is to an open-air field, as a garage is to a carport. Big difference...especially in our climate and with expanded usage in mind.

The contrary, imho, is merely a justification for cheap construction.

152 Re: stadium news on Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:14 pm

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
I have a carport and a garage. I park in the garage maybe 4 months of the year. In the carport the rest. It's there right now!

I will confess that I much prefer having a garage. And given my druthers I'd like a dome. Except, it must retract.

Being realistic I understand we'll not be having a billion dollar retractable stadium in my lifetime. Or in the next two or three generations for that matter. So I'll accept the next best thing...

It's their, they're and there; in Canada it's colour, cheque, rumour and zed...

153 Re: stadium news on Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:22 pm

Why do we always settle for second best? *sigh* Sad

Think about a heated garage with a 'work shop'....Smile

154 Re: stadium news on Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:24 pm

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
I don't think of this as second best. Not by a long shot. Why would anyone make that suggestion?

155 Re: stadium news on Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:36 pm

garage vs. carport
I will confess that I much prefer having a garage. And given my druthers I'd like a dome.

I hope you realize that I'm just yanken' ur chain...Wink

156 Re: stadium news on Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:46 pm

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
we cant actually build a domed stadium for a few more years... cant build anything that would compete with MTS centre and a domed stadium would take a few of the concerts away, Monster trucks.. and probably other stuff.

157 Re: stadium news on Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:48 pm

EdWin

major-contributor
major-contributor
Deank wrote:we cant actually build a domed stadium for a few more years... cant build anything that would compete with MTS centre and a domed stadium would take a few of the concerts away, Monster trucks.. and probably other stuff.

I'm not sure I buy that, DeanK. Edmonton has the Northlands Exhibition Centre right next door to Rexall Place; both domed of course. They actually compliment each other, and are both busy with various event; concerts, truck ralleys, etc.

Seeing as how Edmonton is very similar to Winnipeg, I don't see how the MTS Centre would suffer. It may actually help to acquire more events coming to Winnipeg.

158 Re: stadium news on Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:53 pm

casualchris

contributor plus
contributor plus
grumpy old man wrote:I don't think of this as second best. Not by a long shot. Why would anyone make that suggestion?

You stated it yourself.........

grumpy old man wrote:
Being realistic I understand we'll not be having a billion dollar retractable stadium in my lifetime. Or in the next two or three generations for that matter. So I'll accept the next best thing...

159 Re: stadium news on Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:53 pm

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
What Deank refers to is a non-compete deal the governments signed with MTS owners. Asper could build a domed stadium if he used no government money.

160 Re: stadium news on Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:55 pm

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
I was commenting on a retractable roof... Big difference no?

161 Re: stadium news on Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:34 pm

EdWin

major-contributor
major-contributor
Edit. Wrong thread.

162 Re: stadium news on Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:10 pm

rosencrentz

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
27 years or so, I took my 10 and 12 year old to the Grey Cup. It was so cold that my youngest froze his toes as I was too dumb to figure out and check his feet for proper warm socks etc.
It somewhat dampered the experience. I don't remember what the temp was, but the stadium was sold out. At half time I was out on St James street looking for wool socks.

163 Re: stadium news on Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:46 pm

casualchris

contributor plus
contributor plus
Rosie you took your kids to the greycup at the end of november and didn't think about wearing warm socks? This is why we need a dome deank, think about the children!!!!

164 Re: stadium news on Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:36 pm

Deank wrote:we cant actually build a domed stadium for a few more years... cant build anything that would compete with MTS centre and a domed stadium would take a few of the concerts away, Monster trucks.. and probably other stuff.

Hell Asper could get around that , lots of people have said that is a signed memorandum of understanding that's all. Between Chipman and the City.

The stadium would not want concerts as it will not be acoustically sound Truck pulls what once a year , mostly for indoor soccer and track events during winter . A deal could be reached retractable is the best .

165 Re: stadium news on Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:00 am

Inflatable did not work for the one on River I think it was it collapsed severel times over time . If we are going to do this lets make it the best we can as it is a statement about us , and the university.

166 Re: stadium news on Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:49 am

Bartron

major-contributor
major-contributor
Have you ever watched football in a dome? It sucks. The stale canned air and the crowd noise bounces around and echos it's an odd experience. Football is meant to be enjoyed outside, I'm sure most Winnipegers are hardy enough to handle October and rarley November games. Ask any football fan, most will tell you domes suck.

167 Re: stadium news on Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:53 am

rosencrentz wrote:27 years or so, I took my 10 and 12 year old to the Grey Cup. It was so cold that my youngest froze his toes as I was too dumb to figure out and check his feet for proper warm socks etc.
It somewhat dampered the experience. I don't remember what the temp was, but the stadium was sold out. At half time I was out on St James street looking for wool socks.

haha..
I remember that all too well, as I froze my toes as well. It was the 91' Grey Cup and I believe the temperature at game time was -20C.

168 Re: stadium news on Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:57 am

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
Yeah. I was there too. I dressed for the weather. As did about 50,000 others. We all had a grand old time...

169 Re: stadium news on Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:59 am

Bartron wrote:Have you ever watched football in a dome? It sucks. The stale canned air and the crowd noise bounces around and echos it's an odd experience. Football is meant to be enjoyed outside, I'm sure most Winnipegers are hardy enough to handle October and rarley November games. Ask any football fan, most will tell you domes suck.

I totally agree with you. I've been to a couple of games at BC Place and playing the game indoors seems to take away from the overall experience of football games. Montreal left the Big O', and it was the best move the franchise has ever made. Even Toronto is trying to ditch playing at the Skydome in favor of a outdoor venue.

170 Re: stadium news on Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:14 am

Yes I remember the 91 Grey Cup and 20 years worth of cold games and snowy ones before that as was a season ticket holder for them .

171 Re: stadium news on Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:04 pm

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
Pavolo wrote:

Hell Asper could get around that , lots of people have said that is a signed memorandum of understanding that's all. Between Chipman and the City.

The stadium would not want concerts as it will not be acoustically sound Truck pulls what once a year , mostly for indoor soccer and track events during winter . A deal could be reached retractable is the best .

nope... not just the city... the province too.

Why would one NOT want to have the ability to bring in every act possible? Someone would be crazy too build a dome/retractable roof and not try to get it booked to capacity as much as they can.

172 Re: stadium news on Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:08 pm

rosencrentz

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
A domed stadium for Winnipeg is out of the question! I have it on good authority that the noise from the retractable roof would not be tolerated by the people living in Tuxedo!
And the roads would were out from their traffic promblems!

173 Re: stadium news on Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:46 am

FlyingRat

I am a firm believer that the wind is part of the game.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum