the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm


You are not connected. Please login or register

Phoenix Coyotes may be coming back to Winnipeg. Manitoba Post

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 7]

grumpy old man

avatar
administrator
administrator
Lifted from the darkside. Too juicy to ignore...
The Manitoba Post has learned talks are underway with True North Sports & Entertainment Ltd. and a Phoenix real estate investment group looking to buy the Phoenix Coyotes NHL team and move them to Winnipeg. Members of the investors group flew into Winnipeg from Phoenix last night and left for Phoenix late this afternoon. A few members of the group were spotted in Winnipeg two weeks ago, and we can confirm they were meeting with True North today. True North Sports said they had no comment for the Manitoba Post. The NHL in New York said they are unaware of any deal to move the Coyotes to Winnipeg.

Posted by Manitoba Post.com at Thursday, April 30, 2009


_________________
Yes, I really am that Grumpy...

It's their, they're and there; in Canada it's colour, cheque, rumour and zed...

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
nice to see the devil at work


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

wpg_idiot

avatar
contributor
contributor
What's the MB post? I'm sure not getting my hopes up on this one!

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
and in related news..

Phoenix denies that the NHL has taken over the cash strapped team
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Phoenix-Coyotes-president-denies-report-that-NHL-has-taken-over-team.html


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

grumpy old man

avatar
administrator
administrator
Not sure who they (he? her?) are...


_________________
Yes, I really am that Grumpy...

It's their, they're and there; in Canada it's colour, cheque, rumour and zed...

Guest

avatar
Guest
I wouldn't hold my breath for this to take place...

grumpy old man

avatar
administrator
administrator
Can an NHL team "break even" playing in Winnipeg? If you owned the Coyotes would you want to continue pouring millions and millions down the drain while drowning in Phoenix? Or lose a whole lot less. Break even maybe. In Winnipeg? Or shut 'er down and write her off as I doubt there are too many gazillionaires out there looking to buy a money-hemorrhaging hockey team.

Dare to dream!


_________________
Yes, I really am that Grumpy...

It's their, they're and there; in Canada it's colour, cheque, rumour and zed...

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
LOL that would be awesome have an NHL team and a AHL team and our AHL team is not the farm team for our NHL one...


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

Bartron

avatar
major-contributor
major-contributor
If we got an NHL team they would probably get rid off the moose.

Guest

avatar
Guest
Yes as Chipman would be involved in the NHL team if and when .

rosencrentz

avatar
uber-contributor
uber-contributor
Manitoba Post??? Ha Ha Ha Ha!! Isn't that the biggest paper out of Lockport??


_________________
They cut my back open ! Help!
http://www.elansofas.com

Guest

avatar
Guest
grumpy old man wrote:Can an NHL team "break even" playing in Winnipeg? If you owned the Coyotes would you want to continue pouring millions and millions down the drain while drowning in Phoenix? Or lose a whole lot less. Break even maybe. In Winnipeg? Or shut 'er down and write her off as I doubt there are too many gazillionaires out there looking to buy a money-hemorrhaging hockey team.

Dare to dream!

It would be hard to break even in Winnipeg, since they built the arena too small (15,000). We would be at a disadvantage compared to other Canadian cities who have much larger rinks (17,000-21,000). In a perfect world we could just raise ticket prices to offset this, but I'm pretty sure most Winnipeggers wouldn't be spending $80 on an average ticket.

Having said that, I'm sure we would definitely outdraw some of the current US teams, who deliberately inflate attendance figurees. If we could find a way to add 1,500 additional seats in the arena, I see no reason why the NHL would not work here. I have no idea if that is even possible.

Electrician

avatar
general-contributor
general-contributor
HurtinAlbertan wrote:
grumpy old man wrote:Can an NHL team "break even" playing in Winnipeg? If you owned the Coyotes would you want to continue pouring millions and millions down the drain while drowning in Phoenix? Or lose a whole lot less. Break even maybe. In Winnipeg? Or shut 'er down and write her off as I doubt there are too many gazillionaires out there looking to buy a money-hemorrhaging hockey team.

Dare to dream!

It would be hard to break even in Winnipeg, since they built the arena too small (15,000). We would be at a disadvantage compared to other Canadian cities who have much larger rinks (17,000-21,000). In a perfect world we could just raise ticket prices to offset this, but I'm pretty sure most Winnipeggers wouldn't be spending $80 on an average ticket.

Having said that, I'm sure we would definitely outdraw some of the current US teams, who deliberately inflate attendance figurees. If we could find a way to add 1,500 additional seats in the arena, I see no reason why the NHL would not work here. I have no idea if that is even possible.
Make people smaller. lol!


_________________
A new revolutionary Light Rail Transit system is coming to Winnipeg! (Only if I become Mayor)
http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
heh, we are trying to... haven't you seen the immigration numbers from the phillipines?


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

FlyingRat

avatar
moderator
moderator
Make all couples share a seat!


_________________
Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion!

Guest

avatar
Guest
Cannot the sides be pushed out on the phone booth.

FlyingRat

avatar
moderator
moderator
They could but some benches up in the rafters!


_________________
Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion!

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
Pavolo wrote:Cannot the sides be pushed out on the phone booth.
you mean like when they expanded the arena?

yeah that could happen I suppose. or just go straight up and put a third level in.


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

Guest

avatar
Guest
I do believe that is in the plans they just stopped as it wasn't needed .

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
actually they were stopped because their plans to close down Hargrave permanently were denied.


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

grumpy old man

avatar
administrator
administrator
That's the way I heard it as well. Suggest we not try to shoe-horn on a few thousand more seats. Do it right or go home.


_________________
Yes, I really am that Grumpy...

It's their, they're and there; in Canada it's colour, cheque, rumour and zed...

Guest

avatar
Guest
The plans were made for it it is not shoe horning , wait if it doe's come Hargrave will close in a instant .

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
just change the roof to be a big glass roof. Winnipegers are cheap enough that enough people would pay $10 to watch an NHL game if all they had to do was lay down and look through the windows Smile


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

FlyingRat

avatar
moderator
moderator
Turn Hargrave into a tunnel!


_________________
Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion!

Guest

avatar
Guest
That is a real possibility .

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 7]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum