the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ruby Dhalla vs. the nannies

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26 Re: Ruby Dhalla vs. the nannies on Fri May 15, 2009 10:53 am

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
the rules are actually quite clear on bringing nannies over to work and what work they can do..not alot of them know their rights.

you know like the RIGHT to not have your passport seized by your employer.

27 Re: Ruby Dhalla vs. the nannies on Fri May 15, 2009 10:58 am

AGEsAces

Deank wrote:the rules are actually quite clear on bringing nannies over to work and what work they can do..not alot of them know their rights.

you know like the RIGHT to not have your passport seized by your employer.

Is that a right?

That's true...many don't know their rights. I'm an immigrant myself, and I didn't know my rights either.

I'm not saying Dhalla did not overstep some boundaries (such as the passport thing)...though from the rules I learned, when someone sponsors you in, if you commit crimes or violate the rules the sponsor is held responsible...so I can understand a precaution being made...but it sounds more like some whining by immigrants who expected to live like queens.

It's like the teenager who goes to work and expects to be manager and make six figures. No real training, no real experience and yet expects to be treated like a god...and then gets upset when he's told to do dishes.

http://www.photage.ca

28 Re: Ruby Dhalla vs. the nannies on Fri May 15, 2009 11:01 am

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
There were rules put in place to hire foriegn nannies specifically because they were so very often abused extensively. Several of those rules were broken and from the sounds of it they were indeed treated like slaves. Never mind an elected politician paying people under minimum wage and under the table.

29 Re: Ruby Dhalla vs. the nannies on Fri May 15, 2009 11:06 am

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
AA, where do you glean the nannies $50k/live like queens opinion from? Did you read something to that effect or is that your opinion?

It's their, they're and there; in Canada it's colour, cheque, rumour and zed...

30 Re: Ruby Dhalla vs. the nannies on Fri May 15, 2009 11:19 am

AGEsAces

It's my opinion based upon the statements by the nannies.

Rule violations aside (passport thing and all), they seem to be crying that they aren't being paid enough, and that their duties are too extraneous for them.

I broke down the pay system earlier, they are effectively earning about $10/hour (maybe a bit more) if you take into account the food, housing, etc.
The duties they are performing are housekeeping & cleaning...things you or I might do every day for NO pay at all.

Now...I also have to question some of the accusations. Shampoo carpet EVERY day? You can't do that...and nobody would. You'll ruin the carpets, ruin the floors, and never be able to walk in the house.

Cleaning a friend's house? That might be extreme...but if it's during regular work hours, and you're my employee and I send you to another company to do some work for them...does it really matter? You're still getting paid.

The accusations seem minor...at least from the nannies. The passport thing is a violation of a rule, but it's not mistreatment. I don't know all the laws/rules...and if there are rules violated, there are also punishments for the violations...so apply those.

If there was verbal or physical abuse made, then again...charge Dhalla with that.

All the details aren't clear though. The nannies seem to be colluding to gain something...Dhalla seems to be skirting around technicalities...so it's not entirely clear. So far though...it seems the nannies are crying over things they think they are "entitled" to.

31 Re: Ruby Dhalla vs. the nannies on Fri May 15, 2009 11:21 am

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
"he passport thing is a violation of a rule, but it's not mistreatment"

Its acutally extremely unlawful and is almost as bad as throwing someone in jail without a chance to talk to anyone.

32 Re: Ruby Dhalla vs. the nannies on Fri May 15, 2009 11:36 am

AGEsAces

Deank wrote:"he passport thing is a violation of a rule, but it's not mistreatment"

Its acutally extremely unlawful and is almost as bad as throwing someone in jail without a chance to talk to anyone.

ok...again..violation of a rule...but not mistreatment.

Not having a passport just keeps you from leaving the country. You can still travel within, provided you have your work/visitor's visa.

33 Re: Ruby Dhalla vs. the nannies on Fri May 15, 2009 11:38 am

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
"You can still travel within, provided you have your work/visitor's visa."

and being an immigrant from a country where your passport is your life you know this how?

34 Re: Ruby Dhalla vs. the nannies on Fri May 15, 2009 11:38 am

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
and so you dont think that basically threatening you with never seeing your family ever again is not mistreatment?

35 Re: Ruby Dhalla vs. the nannies on Fri May 15, 2009 11:45 am

AGEsAces

Deank wrote:"You can still travel within, provided you have your work/visitor's visa."

and being an immigrant from a country where your passport is your life you know this how?

Passport is your life? Most Americans don't even have a passport. A driver's license is more important to them.

I didn't even get my Passport till the year 2000, cause I needed it to go on my honeymoon.

But...immigrating here...I was told I needed to carry my visitor's/work visa with me wherever I went. That I didn't need my passport with me unless I wanted to leave the country, though it would be a good idea to keep the two together.

36 Re: Ruby Dhalla vs. the nannies on Fri May 15, 2009 11:47 am

AGEsAces

Deank wrote:and so you dont think that basically threatening you with never seeing your family ever again is not mistreatment?

Taking their passport isn't saying that (unless that's what they were told when it was taken). It's saying "hey, I sponsored you in here, and if you do something wrong I'm responsible for you and don't want you to run off leaving me holding the bill. So follow the rules, and if/when you want to leave, just ask me and I'll give this back to you".

Again...a violation of a rule...but I would not see it as mistreatment.

37 Re: Ruby Dhalla vs. the nannies on Fri May 15, 2009 11:48 am

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
AA, you minimize the nannies "fear" based upon your experience in the US/first world country? Third world peeps are unsophisticated and are likely scared outta their minds when they land on our shores.

It seems like a very common threat used against unsophisticated peeps. Be they nannies or "dancers".

Plus you're speculating about what went on and what the nannies were thinking.

Last edited by grumpy old man on Fri May 15, 2009 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total

38 Re: Ruby Dhalla vs. the nannies on Fri May 15, 2009 11:49 am

AGEsAces

grumpy old man wrote:AA, you minimize the nannies "fear" based upon your experience in the US/first world country? Third world peeps are unsophisticated and are likely scared outta their minds when they land on our shores.

It seems like a very common threat used against unsophisticated peeps. Be they nannies or "dancers".

So do you have links to prove they are unsophisticated? lol!

39 Re: Ruby Dhalla vs. the nannies on Fri May 15, 2009 11:51 am

FlyingRat

GOM, you minimize the nannies' sophistication based upon their country of origin?

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion!

40 Re: Ruby Dhalla vs. the nannies on Fri May 15, 2009 11:52 am

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
AGEsAces wrote:
Deank wrote:"You can still travel within, provided you have your work/visitor's visa."

Passport is your life? Most Americans don't even have a passport. A driver's license is more important to them.

I didn't even get my Passport till the year 2000, cause I needed it to go on my honeymoon.

But...immigrating here...I was told I needed to carry my visitor's/work visa with me wherever I went. That I didn't need my passport with me unless I wanted to leave the country, though it would be a good idea to keep the two together.

americans understand freedom, most of these nannies really do not

41 Re: Ruby Dhalla vs. the nannies on Fri May 15, 2009 11:55 am

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
AGEsAces wrote:
Deank wrote:and so you dont think that basically threatening you with never seeing your family ever again is not mistreatment?

Taking their passport isn't saying that (unless that's what they were told when it was taken). It's saying "hey, I sponsored you in here, and if you do something wrong I'm responsible for you and don't want you to run off leaving me holding the bill. So follow the rules, and if/when you want to leave, just ask me and I'll give this back to you".

Again...a violation of a rule...but I would not see it as mistreatment.

uhh AA from reports they were actually threatened.. DO THIS JOB EVEN THOUGH ITS NOT PART OF YOUR DUTIES YOU AGREED TO, or you wont get your passport back... not only illegal to take the passport, that would actually be something along the lines of blackmail

and again these nannies are not coming from FREE societies like America they are coming from areas where employers are KING and can pretty much do what they want to you, so they really dont understand what they can do.

42 Re: Ruby Dhalla vs. the nannies on Fri May 15, 2009 11:59 am

AGEsAces

Same request for you Dean Wink.

I have several friends who come from the Philippines.

No...this is not to be prejudice...but to apply the stereotype. Many Filipinos you meet, you would assume them to be reasonably uneducated, 2nd-world people, because of their English skills, appearance, and certain mannerisms. Speaking to some of my friends, is like speaking to my 3-year-old daughter. I feel like I have to repeat myself 20 times till they understand what I"m saying, and quite often even then they seem to be clueless.

Yet, 2 of them are doctors, 1 is a high-level marketing executive, 1 is a mid-management project planner, 2 have their own companies here in Winnipeg.

They are ALL immigrants over the past 5-15 years to Winnipeg. Some come from very poor backgrounds, a couple of them gave up mansions and maids to live here because of the opportunities for their children.

I try not to judge intelligence, understanding, or education based upon race or national background. Dhalla may be doing that though...assuming that these are stupid women because of where they come from...and now she's getting it handed back to her...though again, based on what these nannies have been accusing...it seems more like a scam of some sort.

43 Re: Ruby Dhalla vs. the nannies on Fri May 15, 2009 11:59 am

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
FlyingRat wrote:GOM, you minimize the nannies' sophistication based upon their country of origin?
I said third world countries. So yes.

44 Re: Ruby Dhalla vs. the nannies on Fri May 15, 2009 12:02 pm

AGEsAces

grumpy old man wrote:
FlyingRat wrote:GOM, you minimize the nannies' sophistication based upon their country of origin?
I said third world countries. So yes.

Philippines is considered 2nd world, not 3rd world.

45 Re: Ruby Dhalla vs. the nannies on Fri May 15, 2009 12:03 pm

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
Ages its not typically the smarter ( wealthier because they got an education even in the phillipines ) people who agree to be nannies and brought over on that specific program.

Its the poorest of the poor who are jumping at the chance to get out of the hell hole they are in and into a better life. That kind of change makes it very hard to understand and know what is what.

46 Re: Ruby Dhalla vs. the nannies on Fri May 15, 2009 12:05 pm

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
I did not realize the Philippines was a second world country. I also did not know they were Filipino nannies.

47 Re: Ruby Dhalla vs. the nannies on Fri May 15, 2009 12:06 pm

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator

48 Re: Ruby Dhalla vs. the nannies on Fri May 15, 2009 12:06 pm

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
it really depends on where you are in the phillipines, some areas its exceedingly poor, others not so much.

49 Re: Ruby Dhalla vs. the nannies on Fri May 15, 2009 12:13 pm

AGEsAces

Yeah...try "developing" countries there GOM.

still not "third world".

And there are "third world" areas in every country, including the US & Canada.

Many of the reserves in Canada could be considered "third world" conditions.

But the Philippines is under US protection (military wise) and considered part of their territory.

50 Re: Ruby Dhalla vs. the nannies on Fri May 15, 2009 12:29 pm

FlyingRat

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion!

51 Re: Ruby Dhalla vs. the nannies on Fri May 15, 2009 1:23 pm

A'Ace. You don't happen to be a Liberal eh? Smile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum