the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brian Sinclair issue

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 6]

26 Re: Brian Sinclair issue on Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:10 am

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
The Manitoba Nurses Union

27 Re: Brian Sinclair issue on Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:19 am

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
I'd say they belong. They are directly impacted.

It's their, they're and there; in Canada it's colour, cheque, rumour and zed...

28 Re: Brian Sinclair issue on Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:21 am

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
How?

29 Re: Brian Sinclair issue on Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:27 am

JT Estoban

major-contributor
major-contributor
Wasn't it the nurses who didn't triage him in the first place..?

30 Re: Brian Sinclair issue on Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:38 am

Freeman

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
Th eonly one that belongs is WRHA, as it was their facility, their process and it happened on their watch. Isn't the objective of any enquiry to determine fact and make recommendations? Why do all these groups need standing?

31 Re: Brian Sinclair issue on Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:20 pm

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
Freeman wrote:Th eonly one that belongs is WRHA, as it was their facility, their process and it happened on their watch. Isn't the objective of any enquiry to determine fact and make recommendations? Why do all these groups need standing?

exactly my point. The UNION was not there. hospital employees were. There is NOTHING the UNION needs standing for. THEY are not repsonsible for implementing new procedures or for punishing/training employees.

32 Re: Brian Sinclair issue on Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:24 pm

holly golightly

major-contributor
major-contributor
It is unfortunate that Brian Sinclair died because of a simple infection and I am going to play the "bad guy" here. Everyone is saying that the nurses did not triage him, no one looked after him. My question would be, was he mute, did he not speak English, and if he could speak and was waiting for a long time, watching others go forth to be treated while he sat there, why didn't he wheel himself to the triage desk and say "hey I've been waiting for XX amount of time, why am I not being looked after".
This will no doubt be a question that the lawyers will be asking, maybe not in those words but they will ask.
As for standing, if the family wants lawyers to fly in from Toronto ( I believe that is where the family is from as well), let them pay the expenses for air fare and hotel and use the $40,000 to pay for the legal fees only.
If there are groups that are local that are requesting standing as well as their National org's (Mental Health is one on the list) let the National org have standing and the local org be a consultant. Same should go for the Aboriginal org's, let only one organization have standing and the others be consultants to those who have standing. If the judge had any balls, that is what he would do to save the tax payer some money or the minister would mandate that be then again it is Chomiak's department so.............. nuff said.

33 Re: Brian Sinclair issue on Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:33 pm

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
I guess unless we all get to view the entire tape of the entire time the dude was there we will never really know ourselves.

but here is my guess. dude arrives. Goes and stops in the one place. Boredom, exhaustion, being in the nice comfortable air of the hospital room sits in and dude falls asleep in a short time before he can even start to think of complaining about not being seen. Body is fighting a severe infection, and sleep turns into a coma. Coma turns into death.

to blame? no one really

sucks.. but sometimes people die without anyone else being to blame. Yep.. going to a hospital should help save you. BUT if no one knows you are sick and needing help, how do they know to help? I heard that sometimes homeless people go to the hospital waiting rooms to warm up and have a nap and that usually the staff will let them be. Should we stop that process?

34 Re: Brian Sinclair issue on Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:37 pm

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
At the very least SOMEONE should know who everybody is, from a security POV. But this is also a two-way street. EVERYBODY has a responsibility to look out for themselves. I can't for the life of me imagine I'd wait an hour without speaking with someone.

Some might argue the dude was mentally handicapped. Then the people that sent him to the hospital should have made absolute certainty that dude was properly triaged. No pinning note to shirt horsesh1te.

35 Re: Brian Sinclair issue on Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:55 pm

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
yeah.. when you arrive by ambulance... you get seen quickly.. when you arrive falling down in pain... you get seen quickly

Problem was this guy was triaged and put at the bottom of the pile. An ever increasing pile.

Its the way our system is working because of the amount of people seeking medical help and the shortage of doctors. Its scarey to see that old regulations had you being seen in as much as 8 hours and this was posted on the walls.

What should happen ( and is easy to do now that we have computers )

Is that every single person is quickly reviewed every hour or two to ensure that they have not gotten alot worse and their priority should be re-evaluated. Well really what should happen is that people who dont need to go to emergency.. dont go and thus freeing up alot more time.

But then we would probably end up with more people dieing at home because they judged it themselves incorrectly. My son almost lost his eyesite in one eye because we judged it incorrectly.

36 Re: Brian Sinclair issue on Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:39 pm

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
I understood he was not triaged. He stepped up to the triage desk but did not speak with the triage nurse.

But you are correct. Technology exists to not only know who is waiting but where they are and if they've left the building.

Peeps should not be going to ER for seemingly minor issues. There are clinics to attend. The WRHA is also building Access clinics throughout the city that should be used for non emergency issues.

37 Re: Brian Sinclair issue on Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:43 pm

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
I think that an inquiry is not even needed at this point. TONS of new best practice procedures have been put in place already and more are in the pipe.

Unless we are looking to lay blame so someone can sue.

38 Re: Brian Sinclair issue on Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:45 pm

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
Laying blame is one motive. Determining that racism played a role is another motive. You can bet your life on this...

39 Re: Brian Sinclair issue on Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:50 pm

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
True.
But I bet if it was indeed a client they had seen many times before that was white and had the same sort of issues as Mr Sinclair, they would have ignored him just as much

More of a classism perhaps then racism.

40 Re: Brian Sinclair issue on Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:46 am

Freeman

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
We all know that the racism card will be played and what better place to play it, a very public enquiry, with the expenses of all the players covered by the tax payer. The whole thing makes me sick already, but no point going to the ER.

41 Re: Brian Sinclair issue on Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:00 pm

Yes Dean you are probaly right, after awhile you shut your eyes to it poverty.

42 Re: Brian Sinclair issue on Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:50 pm

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
The family of a man who died after waiting more than 34 hours to see a doctor is in court this morning fighting for more funding to represent them at an upcoming inquest.

The provincial government has offered the family of Brian Sinclair the equivalent of $80 an hour to pay for lawyers to represent their interests at an inquest set to start early next year.

The funding proposal is "inferior, inadequate and discriminatory," lawyer Murray Trachtenberg told inquest Judge Ray Wyant.

Lawyers representing the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority will be paid the equivalent of $210 an hour, Trachtenberg said.

The provincial government "is unwilling to provide funding necessary to participate in the inquest in any meaningful way," he said.

Sinclair's family has previously threatened to boycott the inquest into his death unless the province pays their legal fees at a rate equivalent to what the WRHA pays its lawyers.

Sinclair died while waiting for care in the emergency room at Health Sciences Centre, a hospital run by the WRHA. His wait began on Sept. 19, 2008.

Justice Minister Dave Chomiak has said he has no problem with paying reasonable legal costs for the family but suggested the family's desire to fly in three Toronto-based lawyers and an articling student was too much for the government to cover.

43 Re: Brian Sinclair issue on Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:51 pm

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
WTF? I say let them boycott the inquest then.

Holy sh1t, the hands extended never ends...

44 Re: Brian Sinclair issue on Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:52 pm

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
yeah... no reason for them to even be part of the damn inquest to begin with. Would it be nice to be there? Most certainly. is them being their with their lawyers going to impact the outcome at all? I cant see how.

45 Re: Brian Sinclair issue on Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:56 pm

Miz point

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
I would gladly take 80 bucks an hour for a lawyer!!!! Any lawyer will do.....christ, these people......and they are using a high-priced Toronto attorney to do their bidding right now - who the hell is paying for that? If these jokers want Manitobans to pay for a lawyer it best be a lawyer who belongs to the Manitoba Law Society and not some joker from Bloor Street! Or whatever street his office is on.

People, this is an inquest not a trial - huge difference in terms of what kind of representation is necessary.

46 Re: Brian Sinclair issue on Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:03 pm

Goth_chic

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
Too bad for them. If they want this high priced parasite from Toronto then they can pay for it themselves. Wait, do any of them even have jobs?

47 Re: Brian Sinclair issue on Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:06 pm

Freeman

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
The family wants to be at the enquiry. Too bad they couldn't have been with him in the ER.

48 Re: Brian Sinclair issue on Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:08 pm

usedtoliveinstb

Goth_chic wrote:Too bad for them. If they want this high priced parasite from Toronto then they can pay for it themselves. Wait, do any of them even have jobs?

lol "high priced parasite?" ya sure, until you need a good lawyer then he'll be your best friend.

49 Re: Brian Sinclair issue on Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:08 pm

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
"Too bad they couldn't have been with him in the ER."

50 Re: Brian Sinclair issue on Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:08 pm

usedtoliveinstb

Miz point wrote:I would gladly take 80 bucks an hour for a lawyer!!!! Any lawyer will do.....christ, these people......and they are using a high-priced Toronto attorney to do their bidding right now - who the hell is paying for that? If these jokers want Manitobans to pay for a lawyer it best be a lawyer who belongs to the Manitoba Law Society and not some joker from Bloor Street! Or whatever street his office is on.

People, this is an inquest not a trial - huge difference in terms of what kind of representation is necessary.

80 bucks an hour gets you about 1/3 of a lawyer.

51 Re: Brian Sinclair issue on Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:08 pm

Miz point

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
Who is paying for this attorney they already have? I really wished the press would get the cojones to dig a little deeper as I find it repugnant that while they can retain the services of this out of province shark they want the Mb government to pay for another shark to rep their interests at the inquest, an exercise that is debatable with regard to dire need for representation.

One simple question.......come on Press.....or is that too controversial?

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum