the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Golfing The Meadows of East St. Paul

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Golfing The Meadows of East St. Paul on Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:38 pm

Triniman

general-contributor
general-contributor
Located at the Perimeter and Highway 59, The Meadows of East St. Paul is a course we include in our annual tour.

Unfortunately for us, the weather forecast was wrong for Friday afternoon as we had three periods of rain. We're used to the high winds, which makes some holes more difficult when you drive the ball less than 200 yards. On the other hand, some holes have the wind at your back and you can get a bit further than usual. I'd say the wind is a trade off for the mostly open layout which means on most holes you can miss the fairway but still easily find your ball...unless it ends up in the British Open-style fescue.

The weather made the course a bit more difficult than usual. It didn't help that we took a while to get used to the lightening fast greens. Compared to courses like Teulon, Winkler and Morden, the fairways at The Meadows are cut way too short and there are many patches of sparsely growing grass. When I first played the course years ago, I figured it would be a lot better as the grass grew, but I can't recall seeing enough grass on the fairways yet. Not sure why.

We encountered virtually no mosquitoes and not too many groups on the course, save for a foursome that we caught up to who had powercarts (we walked) and were painfully slow. Fortunately, they stopped for snacks and we were able to pass them.

Cost $33, I think. Senior rate was $29 or so.

― Isaac Asimov

2 Re: Golfing The Meadows of East St. Paul on Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:39 pm

cherenkov

contributor plus
contributor plus
I enjoy the Meadows, although I would like it more if they gave it more character -- higher fescue, deeper bunkers, etc.. As it is, there is little punishment for trying to cut a corner or hitting a bad shot into the rough. I have not golfed it this summer yet, so perhaps all of the rain has allowed the grass to get a little higher. It's a good course if you want to stick close to home. Par 72 with Five par-5s.

http://anybody-want-a-peanut.blogspot.com/

3 Re: Golfing The Meadows of East St. Paul on Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:07 pm

Triniman

general-contributor
general-contributor
Next week, it's Elm Creek then Carman. I still can't believe Elm Creek is only $16 to walk. Carman is one of our favorite courses, always in nice shape. They are fairly close together, close enough to play in one day.

― Isaac Asimov

4 Re: Golfing The Meadows of East St. Paul on Sat May 08, 2010 1:10 pm

Triniman

general-contributor
general-contributor
Played The Meadows yesterday, walked both rounds. Two of the guys in my foursome rode powercarts. Given how cold it was, walking actually warmed my partner and I up faster.

We started on the back nine, which is played poorly. I guess I wasn't quite warmed up. On the second nine, the front nine, I went down 14 strokes.

Overall, I went down 5 strokes on the second 18. It was colder and windier during the second round. When we finished for the day, close to 4 pm, there were only 12 cars in the parking lot, so very few people actually braved the cold that day. Fortunately, it didn't rain on us. I would love to play this course when the wind is lighter, though.

My sort of highlight for the day was on the 18th hole during the second round. It's 474 from the white tees. I hit a drive right to the 200 yard marker. I then hit a beautiful 3-wood shot to get on the green in two and leave myself a putt for eagle. Unfortunately, I proceeded to 4 putt and squander chances for eagle, birdie and par!

The Meadows is quite wide open. I joked that their rough is like their fairways. In fact, on several holes, you can save distance by going in a straight line to the green. There might be a fairway bunker or two in the way, but overall, it's a safe way to go. The grass was too short for my liking. There are some courses we play where the fairways are lush like carpet. The Meadows has never seemed to have enough grass for my liking. The greens were faster than I expected, but again, not in the best shape possible. It's early in the year, so I'm sure their greens will grow in nicer.

There is an addition to their clubhouse, a new seating area. There's a concession stand in this new section where they will make you sandwiches, hot dogs, etc. This new area is ideal for the tournaments they host. It's a welcome expansion, in my books.

In the proshop area, I noticed that they have a full Nike fitting system. While their proshop is an unlikely place to buy new clubs, given how small it is, I know they do sell sets, particularly Nike.

Cost was $34 to for the first 18 and $20 for the second round.

― Isaac Asimov

5 Re: Golfing The Meadows of East St. Paul on Sat May 08, 2010 4:14 pm

holly golightly

major-contributor
major-contributor
Played the Meadows a few years ago, not one of my favorites but in a pinch not too bad. I do however prefer it's older, more established sister course of Larter's at St Andrews. More mature course, better kept fairways and greens and much more "trouble" to get into on most holes. Love the hole with the bell on it.

6 Re: Golfing The Meadows of East St. Paul on Sat May 08, 2010 7:36 pm

Triniman

general-contributor
general-contributor
holly golightly wrote:Played the Meadows a few years ago, not one of my favorites but in a pinch not too bad. I do however prefer it's older, more established sister course of Larter's at St Andrews. More mature course, better kept fairways and greens and much more "trouble" to get into on most holes. Love the hole with the bell on it.

Larters is a nicer course, for sure. It's a bit further out and pricier, but I always enjoy going there. It's tougher, too, and my foursome prefers the tougher courses.

― Isaac Asimov

7 Re: Golfing The Meadows of East St. Paul on Sat May 08, 2010 9:40 pm

Was off to Falcon today was quite nice .

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum