the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Do you talk on your cell phone while driving?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Do you talk on your cell phone while driving?

43% 43% [ 9 ]
57% 57% [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 21

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
wanna take a guess at how long that "no proof" thing holds up in court?

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
Heh heh heh... But it won't stop the police from exploiting that rule until told to stop.

It does not take a rocket surgeon to figure out that someone is talking on a hand-held cell phone. The idiots literally jump out at you.

But the police see you with a comb in your hand? Brush? Razor? They'll use it as an excuse they thought is was a "hand-operated (electronic) device" and pull you over.

Mark my words.

It's their, they're and there; in Canada it's colour, cheque, rumour and zed...

If it is deemed a violation to have the device in your hand while driving, I reckon it will hold up in court. Just having it in your hand is enough to be charged so why shouldn't it hold up in court?

grumpyrom

major-contributor
major-contributor
So does that mean that if you mount your cell phone in a holder similar to a Ipod charger or GPS unit etc. that you could use it via speaker phone, as long as it's not in your hands? What about the aforementioned hand held devices (Ipod etc.), are they ok as long as they are in a holder and not in the drivers hand? This is just silly. Using a GPS unit mounted to your dashboard is just as distracting as holding a cellphone in one hand.

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
I'd say a phone mounted in a holder on speakerphone is hands free. Ditto any electronic device.

GPS? Could be just as distracting. But how often is it hand held? I use my cell phone several times a day (I have built-in bluetooth) and my GPS once or twice, and then only at the beginning of my trip.

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
JTF wrote:If it is deemed a violation to have the device in your hand while driving, I reckon it will hold up in court. Just having it in your hand is enough to be charged so why shouldn't it hold up in court?

Lack of proof. It was my comb your honor the cell phone was sitting on the seat next to me.

Why were you driving around with a comb in your hands? That doesn't make sense.

I believe that you did have the phone in your hands and not a comb.

btw, why were you carrying a comb when your hair is 1/4 inch long?

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
The NDP is passing a law next week making it illegal to comb and drive. They are looking at other driving laws as well. Shaving and driving. Applying make-up and driving. @#$%^&* and driving.

The NDP have discussed outlawing driving altogether.

Triniman

general-contributor
general-contributor
grumpy old man wrote:The NDP is passing a law next week making it illegal to comb and drive. They are looking at other driving laws as well. Shaving and driving. Applying make-up and driving. @#$%^&* and driving.

The NDP have discussed outlawing driving altogether.

Sellinger deserves a boot to the head.

― Isaac Asimov

AGEsAces

This is for Sellinger then (and you Trini Wink)

http://www.photage.ca

AGEsAces

Yet again though...I don't understand why the stupid cell-phone law was made OTHER than to steal more money from people.

There was ALREADY a law in place to deal with drivers who use cell phones, text, comb, e-mail, eat, drink, play with radio, play with themselves, play with someone else, yell at their kids, yell at themselves, put on makeup, take off makeup, brush their teeth, shave, sleep...

You name it, it was covered...but now they want to itemize what people can and can't do. NOW they want to try and control every little thing people do.

Watch for propositions to ban drive-thrus soon. It won't be that at first. At first it will just be a policy not allowing any new drive-thrus to be opened. Then it will start targeting something else so only a few people are "targeted"...and then eventually they'll work up to targeting the businesses themselves. Probably something like they've done with alcohol where they blame the bartender for the drunk driver.

So some 16-year-old kid will be targeted as being responsible for the idiot who buys a BigMac and blows through a light killing some old lady with a walker.

http://www.photage.ca

rosencrentz

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
I don't own a cell phone any more! My wife took it away when we started to move in to our Charleswood "new" home! We don't have our 489 2999 home number anymore, after almost 25 years , of living in River Heights. We have no land phone, only the cell phone which she guards. No one phones me any more! I am being held a prisoner in our one room home in charleswood!
if it wasn't for G.O.M., who took pity on me and picked me up for breakfast last week, I would have gone "crazy"! lol

Did you know that they have the "internet" in Charleswood?? That was hooked up last night! No more free bandwidth! Damn!
I wonder if there is TV reception in Charleswood?? Any one know?

Last edited by rosencrentz on Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
Not yet rosen. They are making it an election issue. Sammy is all for bringing TV to Charleswood. Judy will only vote for it if everybody gets a free 50" plasma TV: everybody or nobody being her mantra.

winnipegceilingcat

Last night I was driving my mom home after we went for ice cream at Sub Zero on Jamison. I got a Larsen, and I'm not sure what she ordered. But anyways, it was when we where on Watt Street that I realized my ice cream was seriously distracting me from my driving.. with holding the the wheel and ice cream with one hand and the spoon to eat it with in the other. I look over at my mom, with a grin and say "I think this ice cream is a little more dangerous then a cell phone!" we both laughed, I had 2 more spoon fulls just to thumb my nose at the cell phone ban and I put my frozen treat in my cup holder and we continued on our way.

Some people don't seem to realize that even with cell phones being banned, there are a million other distractions. People will continue to drive slowly in 60, 70, 80 km/h zones and kids will continue to get run over. Its the nature of things.

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
Shoulda' had a cone.

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
12 people have voted "No - they don't talk on their cell phone" while driving.

Hmmmmm. ~60% of drivers that have a cell phone don't use it while driving? BS I'm sayin'. Me thinks 9 or 10 be fibbin'.

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
none of us have anyone to talk to

winnipegceilingcat wrote:Last night I was driving my mom home after we went for ice cream at Sub Zero on Jamison. I got a Larsen, and I'm not sure what she ordered. But anyways, it was when we where on Watt Street that I realized my ice cream was seriously distracting me from my driving.. with holding the the wheel and ice cream with one hand and the spoon to eat it with in the other. I look over at my mom, with a grin and say "I think this ice cream is a little more dangerous then a cell phone!" we both laughed, I had 2 more spoon fulls just to thumb my nose at the cell phone ban and I put my frozen treat in my cup holder and we continued on our way.

Some people don't seem to realize that even with cell phones being banned, there are a million other distractions. People will continue to drive slowly in 60, 70, 80 km/h zones and kids will continue to get run over. Its the nature of things.

I'm pretty sure you can be pulled over for having your hands full while driving...especially if you are eating.

I once got pulled over in Calgary for eating some chicken on my way home one night. Didn't get a ticket, but was told it was a no-no.

Goth_chic

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
I am posting this from my phone while driving...oooppps. Wink

Freeman

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
Must be an election call coming soon. So the NDP made a law to ban the use of cellphones when driving, even though that would be covered under "Imprudent Driving" and just for good measure, they tack on the no smoking with kids in the car. Must be slow times for Selinger, like no need to worry about the economy, the ever increasingly bloated civil service, etc. Lets make laws that attract headlines, but really do nothing for us.

Northlands

contributor
contributor
grumpy old man wrote:12 people have voted "No - they don't talk on their cell phone" while driving.

Hmmmmm. ~60% of drivers that have a cell phone don't use it while driving? BS I'm sayin'. Me thinks 9 or 10 be fibbin'.

I'm one of those few that don't use it while driving. With call display and voicemail, I don't feel the need to pick it up while driving, or when I'm not driving and I'm too busy to get to the phone. It's just a phone.

It's too bad its gotta come down to this. A relatively small percentage of idiots that ruin it for the rest of us, but there are good examples out there from time to time. It spreads to anything though that can divert one's attention away from driving, be it phones or Quarter Pounders with cheese.

Seems that some people simply cannot leave the phone alone.

If it rings, they MUST answer it.

Speaking about the tail wagging the dog eh?

I used to be there...thinking that every call was potential money.

You cannot believe the weight that was lifted from my shoulders when I took control and threw away my cell.

More people should imo. We don't need to be available 24/7. We have just made that up ourselves.

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
witnessed today.

Guy on a bike. Noise cancelling headphones on, smoking and talking on a cell phone.

How many tickets should he get?

also of note.... checkered beret on backwards.

Freeman

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
I figure that there is no one in my life so important that they're worth getting a $200 ticket over just to talk to them.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum