the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm


You are not connected. Please login or register

PROVINCE ACKNOWLEDGES ABORIGINAL VETERANS DAY

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1 PROVINCE ACKNOWLEDGES ABORIGINAL VETERANS DAY on Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:27 pm

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
http://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.html?archive=&item=7177

"
Aboriginal and Northern Affairs Minister Eric Robinson has invited everyone to pay special tribute to the contributions of Aboriginal veterans today and throughout Veterans Week.



“Many Aboriginal men and women have made tremendous sacrifices defending Canada and keeping peace in war-torn places around the world. Aboriginal Veterans Day is a special day to honour and remember all of the Aboriginal brothers and sisters who have served. We must keep their spirit strong by acknowledging their contributions to this country and the world,” said Robinson.



The province officially recognized Nov. 8 as Aboriginal Veterans’ Day following a private member’s resolution accepted unanimously by the Manitoba legislative assembly in 1994. Throughout Manitoba, Aboriginal veterans are recognized and remembered in various ways by numerous organizations and communities. They are often honoured at events, Remembrance Day ceremonies, powwows and schools.



“During Veterans Week, I encourage everyone to take time to think about all those who have served on land, sea and in the air to protect this country and the freedoms we enjoy today,” said Robinson. "


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
aint it great when one segment of society is better then the rest?


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

grumpy old man

avatar
administrator
administrator
Next day is Caucasian Veterans Day. Followed by Jewish Veterans Day, then Irish Veterans Day. And don't forget the Midget Black Muslim Veterans Day...

Last night (???) there was an Aboriginal Music Awards show. Wonder what the chiefs would say were there to be a Caucasian Music Awards show???

death128, can you explain why this is necessary?


_________________
Yes, I really am that Grumpy...

It's their, they're and there; in Canada it's colour, cheque, rumour and zed...

holly golightly

avatar
major-contributor
major-contributor
Manito Ahbee, a Festival for All Nations, yet the only "nation" that was featured in the whole festival was the "first" nation, with the music awards and the pow wow and the Aboriginal Veterans Day. I guess with Remembrance Day coming up on Wednesday they need it to be in our face just because "we" may not think "they" did the same job as every other Canadian in the time of war. Talk about racism at its finest.


_________________
Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

Guest

avatar
Guest
How lame and politically correct can we get? Who cares if someone is Aboriginal or not? If you fight for your country, you should be treated the same not matter what ethnic background you are.

Freeman

avatar
uber-contributor
uber-contributor
This concept of making a distinction makes me want to puke.

If we all recall, Remembrance Day is set on November 11 as it signifies the signing of the armistice to end WW I. It is a day set aside from all other days to remember the sacrifices made and hopefully through that, never go through it again. It does not make a distinction on those who served in either world war, or Korea, or any of the peacekeeping missions, or the current mission in the Middle East. It is not meant to make a distinction between Tommy Prince or Karine Blais.

This is just another case of political correctness gone amok.

Guest

avatar
Guest
Well said.

Guest

avatar
Guest
It is also to make atone for the crappy way some of these natives were treated after the war . Wonder how many realize that as Indians they could have not been drafted , but they went on their own free will .
Most never getting the benefits the whites did upon return cause they were natives . They never got the land entitlement nor the assistance to start business;s or to find a job . Many were paid less for their service then the whites , take the time to talk to a native vet and they can tell you .

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
who the frick cares that they were not treated the same? How does this make them better then any other vet?


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

Guest

avatar
Guest
Where did I say better , they were treated worse .

http://www.abheritage.ca/eldersvoices/history/culture_veterans.html
Just one of many places to read about it .



Last edited by Pavolo on Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add)

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
How does them being treated like crap before make them better so that they deserve their own day?



That better? You understand what I am asking now?


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

EdWin

avatar
major-contributor
major-contributor
All of my sentiments have already been expressed here so no need to repeat them. However, I would like to know how much of Manitoba taxpayers money is going towards this "my race is better than all the rest" holiday?
Do any other provinces have this as well?

grumpy old man

avatar
administrator
administrator
Well, there's this: Honouring Metis vets

Ah, the PC fun never ends eh?


_________________
Yes, I really am that Grumpy...

It's their, they're and there; in Canada it's colour, cheque, rumour and zed...

EdWin

avatar
major-contributor
major-contributor
This is a huge slap in the face to all other vets out there, this bs segregation. Pure racism. This is just one of many example why I no longer sympathise with the "plight of native people" in this country.

Goth_chic

avatar
uber-contributor
uber-contributor
Give me a break....all vets should be remembered...why does everything come down to race? Seems to me natives are just as, if not more racist then said white people. Maybe we should acknowledge all the Caucasians, blacks, chinese etc who died in WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Bosnia, Rwanda, Afghanistan etc....


_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

EdWin

avatar
major-contributor
major-contributor
I'm very anxious to hear how death128 is going to justify this.

death128

avatar
contributor
contributor
How am I to justify this to your collective consciousness of 'Everyone should be treated equally'. Yet this is not the case, ever. The battle to cure historical disadvantages is ever present. The battle to cure perceptions based on racism is ever present. Maybe one day everything will be evened out.

Read Pav's link. These people fought for your freedom and lands and their lands were taken away from them (again read the link and don't just spout nonsense). Simply accepting this fact isn't going to make it go away.

If you were a cop and I took your wallet because you owed me money and I had to feed my kids (but you're disputing that fact because I owe you for something else), you will fight for it. Others will fight with you for what they see is right. While others that don't know the situation or know that you owe me money might fight against you. And others will think we're all a bunch of uncivilized louts for fighting ALL THE TIME. You'd obviously win any arguments because you're a cop and the judge's would favour your judgment.

The situation above is much more simple than what's going on....

'We will fight, but not out of spite. Because somebody must stand up to do what's right.' -Jewel

I'll continue to fight..... and I haven't answered your question... It's a part of the fight... Your battle to protect your lands and rights ended on November 11th... ours (First Nations) still rages on....

grumpy old man

avatar
administrator
administrator
From that link:
It is estimated that between 7,000 to 12,000 Aboriginal Peoples fought for Canada in the Korean War and in World Wars I and II.

Here are some interesting statistics to consider:
* Well over 100,000 Canadians DIED in the Korean, WWI and WWII.
* Over 1.1 million Canadians fought in WWII from a total population of 11 million; 47,000 DIED
* 619,636 served for Canada and over 66,000 gave their lives in WWI

So you'll excuse me if I take offense to a small group of first nations doing their duty for their "nations" demanding special consideration on this day. Every single service MAN and WOMAN deserve special praise today and every day for their sacrifices. NONE more than anyone else.


_________________
Yes, I really am that Grumpy...

It's their, they're and there; in Canada it's colour, cheque, rumour and zed...

Guest

avatar
Guest
grumpy old man wrote:From that link:
It is estimated that between 7,000 to 12,000 Aboriginal Peoples fought for Canada in the Korean War and in World Wars I and II.

Here are some interesting statistics to consider:
* Well over 100,000 Canadians DIED in the Korean, WWI and WWII.
* Over 1.1 million Canadians fought in WWII from a total population of 11 million; 47,000 DIED
* 619,636 served for Canada and over 66,000 gave their lives in WWI

So you'll excuse me if I take offense to a small group of first nations doing their duty for their "nations" demanding special consideration on this day. Every single service MAN and WOMAN deserve special praise today and every day for their sacrifices. NONE more than anyone else.

well said...

death128

avatar
contributor
contributor
Meh. Between 2 Million and 100 Million Native Americans DIED after 1492. And yes, every single service person deserves special praise today. Aboriginal VETERANS deserve something for what they went through, especially in Manitoba as we have the highest proportion of Aboriginals.

Guest

avatar
Guest
death128 wrote:How am I to justify this to your collective consciousness of 'Everyone should be treated equally'. Yet this is not the case, ever. The battle to cure historical disadvantages is ever present. The battle to cure perceptions based on racism is ever present. Maybe one day everything will be evened out.

i think you have a sense of entitlement based solely upon the fact that you are from an Aboriginal background. Dwelling on the past never brings positive results. Why not make the present a better place?

Read Pav's link. These people fought for your freedom and lands and their lands were taken away from them (again read the link and don't just spout nonsense). Simply accepting this fact isn't going to make it go away.

We all, as Canadians fought for Canada, regardless of ethnic background, political views, or skin colour. Do you think other visible minorities, especially Japanese Canadians during WW2 had it any easier?


I'll continue to fight..... and I haven't answered your question... It's a part of the fight... Your battle to protect your lands and rights ended on November 11th... ours (First Nations) still rages on....

The problem with that attitude is you have a "us vs them" mentality. True healing comes from within. To blame 'whitey' for every problem or dilemma your people are facing is conterproductive and accomplishes nothing.



Last edited by HurtinAlbertan on Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling mistake)

death128

avatar
contributor
contributor
And what of the money you owe me, copper? >.<

Guest

avatar
Guest
death128 wrote:Meh. Between 2 Million and 100 Million Native Americans DIED after 1492. And yes, every single service person deserves special praise today. Aboriginal VETERANS deserve something for what they went through, especially in Manitoba as we have the highest proportion of Aboriginals.

So in other words, Aboriginal veterans are superior to other Canadian veterans?

Goth_chic

avatar
uber-contributor
uber-contributor
Wow death128...your thinking is one of the reasons why natives have such a sense of entitlement. Get over it and get on with your lives. Start treating yourselves and others with the same respect you keep demanding. I use to feel for the natives now I just find myself annoyed. Always wanting more and more from the taxpayers...time to stand up and become accountable.


_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

death128

avatar
contributor
contributor
HurtinAlbertan wrote:
death128 wrote:Meh. Between 2 Million and 100 Million Native Americans DIED after 1492. And yes, every single service person deserves special praise today. Aboriginal VETERANS deserve something for what they went through, especially in Manitoba as we have the highest proportion of Aboriginals.

So in other words, Aboriginal veterans are superior to other Canadian veterans?

Why would you say that?

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum