the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

MPI Introduces new Driver Safety Rating system

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

JT Estoban

major-contributor
major-contributor
It is a lot of bother I suppose...

But at the same time, I'm a good driver..so I will not be paying as much to subsidize the bad drivers out there.

About friggin' time.

grumpyrom

major-contributor
major-contributor
JT Estoban wrote:

• With more merit levels, it will be
    possible for a driver to have more than one at-fault crash and still
    receive a discount on premiums, MPI said very safe drivers could earn
    even better discounts after reaching the highest point on the scale.

What they don't mention is that although you may "have more than one at-fault crash and still recieve a discount on premiums", you will still face a severe reduction in your discount regardless of at least 5% and as much as 15%.

Under the new system I'm at level 7, been claims free for over 5 years and have the full 25% discount. One collision of 50% fault drops me to 10%. I'm looking at an increase in my premiums of at least $300 for the following 2 years untill I reach level 4, then $200 more till level 6, and $100 more till level 7. One single 50/50 accident after 6 years of claim free driving costs me $1100 more in premiums.

Someone dropping from level 15 to 10 is losing a 5% discount for FIVE YEARS after having a clean driving record for FIFTEEN years.
Depending on their preimums it would cost them an extra $300-500 over the course of that 5 years unless the drive a real clunker.

Again under the current system it would be a $200 surcharge. This is absurd calling this a reduction in costs for good drivers.

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
If you incur a surcharge can you really be called a good driver?

I think this comment might be unpopular but see what happens to your insurance in Ontario (for example) should you get into an accident or a driving conviction.

Drivers were petrified to report accidents for fear of being cut off completely the first time. Then the task is to find someone to insure you.

Or see what your insurance rates would be after certain convictions like DUI. If you qualify, you go to the insurer of last resort. It is a consortium of insurers that pool together under a program called facility. One day your insurance will have been $1500. The next? $10,000.

I kid you not. And maybe facility is the way to go for some drivers, but the fear of losing your insurance is genuine.

It's their, they're and there; in Canada it's colour, cheque, rumour and zed...

grumpyrom

major-contributor
major-contributor
Can you really be called a bad driver if you've been involved in a single 50/50 collision with damages totaling <$3,000 total in a span of say 6-7 years? Do you really deserve to be dinged an extra $1,000 or more in premiums over a period of 5 years after having paid over $10,000 in premiums during your claim free period?

The $200 surcharge for 1 single accident in a 6 year period was fair, this is just a cash grab.

I for one don't consider someone who get's in a fender bender every 6-10 years a "bad" driver. Perhaps they should make the scale based on damages incurred rather than treating all accidents the same.

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
So. You're not a good driver after one accident. Nor are you a bad driver after one accident. So, what are you? An average driver? A sub-par driver?

Is there a rate for an average driver? A sub-par driver?

Just sayin'...

Anywho, I don't look at it as a cash grab as long as there are increased discounts for longer periods of claims-free driving. If you get into an at-fault accident your rates should go up. It's indicative of a greater risk for the insurer no?

Besides don't you get one "gimme". The first accident does not count against your merits if you pay a $200 premium? That's a get out of jail free card no?

It's their, they're and there; in Canada it's colour, cheque, rumour and zed...

grumpyrom

major-contributor
major-contributor
Right, the $200 surcharge is the "gimme" under the current system. There appears to be no such "gimme" under the new system. From playing around with the calculator it appears that ANY collision of 50% or more fault reduces your DSR by 5 merit points. This results in losing 5% of your discount for 5 years if your at the 30% (15 merit) level, and as much as 15% depending where you are on the scale. There is no mention anywhere of not losing your discount if you pay the surcharge as is currently the rule.

So, using the new system someone like Freeman who is accident free for 35 years and is involved in a 50/50 collision would lose 5% of his discount for 5 years untill he gets back up to 15 merits. This would add $300-500 in premiums (over the 5 years) per vehicle he has registered depending on his total premium. Under the old system he keeps his enitre discount provided he pay the $200 surcharge.

With no "get of jail free" card for "good drivers", this new system is bunk. I predict a huge surge in the amount of claims assigned 50/50 fault with this new system and huge profit increases in 2-3 years.

If they really wanted to keep things fair they would do something like assign drivers found 100% at fault 5 demerits, but those found 50% only 2 demerits thus removing the incentive for MPIC to increase premiums by finding both drivers at fault. I've dealt with MPIC claims at one of my former employers and they are bastards when it comes to finding everyone at fault unless there is overwhelming evidence otherwise.

Freeman

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
They once found my wife 50% at fault as she pulled out of a parking lot onto a 1 way street, and a guy backed into her from the wrong direction. No fault = everyone's fault.

Ahh, but to long for the days of private insurance.

Hey Freeman, how is the wife?

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum