the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

16 Year Old Can have Sex, But Cannot Buy Liquor or Vote

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

rosencrentz

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
Missing teen’s parents frustrated

It’s absurd she’s legally old enough to have sex, but not old enough to vote -- that's according to the father and step-mother of a 16-year-old girl who is believed to have run away to be with her 33-year-old "boyfriend."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Missing-teens-parents-frustrated-82942797.html

http://www.elansofas.com

AGEsAces

Yeah...I was listening to this tirade this morning on the radio.

Mother is whining about how her daughter can go out and have sex, but can't be legal for other things.

Also how if she were to beat her daughter, she could go to jail for child abuse, but not the guy the kid's shacking up with can't be charged with the same.

First...it's alleged the kid is sleeping with the guy. It's sure the girl has been turning to him for shelter and escape...but nothing has proven that they are having sex.

Second, the mother admits the guy is/was an old family friend. So it's possible the girl turned to him when she needed some help...and they have grown close...maybe even only uncle/niece type of relationship.

Third, this mother is blaming everyone but herself for her daughter's problems. Instead of being addressing the "why" the kid is leaving...she's blaming everyone else for allowing her to leave.

And, now the parents (or at least the mom) is trying to have EVERYONE ELSE affected because of her incompetence. She wants the government to RAISE the "age of consent" again up to 18...so that ALL parents have to deal with this type of stupidity an extra two years.

I have a daughter...who's only 4 (going on 14).
I would love to think she'll be an angel all through her teen years, and that I won't have these issues...but I'm not dumb...of course there will be problems.
But there will be rules too...and if, at the age of 16...she thinks her life would be so much better...that's her decision. Doesn't mean I'd support it...but it would be my issue with her...not my issue with everyone else in the country!!!

What this mother SHOULD be doing, is sitting down with her daughter and finding out WHY there's a problem. And perhaps stop being so over-protective.

What would happen if she were in the US? Where the drinking age is 21? Would THAT be the new "age of consent" for her? She can get married in many states in the US at the age of 16...but she can't have sex with her husband till she's 18/21?

This woman needs to get a clue...and accept that her daughter is trying to be her own version of an "adult". And...one thing I've learned from my 4-year-old...kids try their hardest to grow up to be like their parents...cause that's who they ultimately are trying to impress!!!

http://www.photage.ca

JT Estoban

major-contributor
major-contributor
AGEsAces wrote:Yeah...I was listening to this tirade this morning on the radio.

Mother is whining about how her daughter can go out and have sex, but can't be legal for other things.

Also how if she were to beat her daughter, she could go to jail for child abuse, but not the guy the kid's shacking up with can't be charged with the same.

First...it's alleged the kid is sleeping with the guy. It's sure the girl has been turning to him for shelter and escape...but nothing has proven that they are having sex.

Second, the mother admits the guy is/was an old family friend. So it's possible the girl turned to him when she needed some help...and they have grown close...maybe even only uncle/niece type of relationship.

Third, this mother is blaming everyone but herself for her daughter's problems. Instead of being addressing the "why" the kid is leaving...she's blaming everyone else for allowing her to leave.

And, now the parents (or at least the mom) is trying to have EVERYONE ELSE affected because of her incompetence. She wants the government to RAISE the "age of consent" again up to 18...so that ALL parents have to deal with this type of stupidity an extra two years.

I have a daughter...who's only 4 (going on 14).
I would love to think she'll be an angel all through her teen years, and that I won't have these issues...but I'm not dumb...of course there will be problems.
But there will be rules too...and if, at the age of 16...she thinks her life would be so much better...that's her decision. Doesn't mean I'd support it...but it would be my issue with her...not my issue with everyone else in the country!!!

What this mother SHOULD be doing, is sitting down with her daughter and finding out WHY there's a problem. And perhaps stop being so over-protective.

What would happen if she were in the US? Where the drinking age is 21? Would THAT be the new "age of consent" for her? She can get married in many states in the US at the age of 16...but she can't have sex with her husband till she's 18/21?

This woman needs to get a clue...and accept that her daughter is trying to be her own version of an "adult". And...one thing I've learned from my 4-year-old...kids try their hardest to grow up to be like their parents...cause that's who they ultimately are trying to impress!!!

Kudos to you AA!

Plus, now I don't have to write out a paragraph saying the exact same thing! (I really don't have a leg to stand on, considering I don't yet have children of my own, just a naive idea of what kind of parent I would like to be)

Freeman

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
JT Estoban wrote:
(I really don't have a leg to stand on, considering I don't yet have children of my own, just a naive idea of what kind of parent I would like to be)

I have spares, send me a PM and we can trade. Do you have a DeWalt Circular Saw? We can deal. They're housebroken.

rosencrentz

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
So when will this relationship be acceptable?
16-33 not good
21-38 OK?
26-43 OK?
36-53 OK?
46-63
When is someone mature? Certainly one doesn't think 16 is OK to buy cigarettes, but if 2 people were in high school together and having sex, no one would care?

Freeman

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
Does a 16 yr old have the maturity to make decisions regarding the intimacy of relationships? What is a parents obligation to protect their children?

My daughter would not be allowed to have such a relationship under after I'm dead.

You hit the nail on the head AA

It's pretty sick that someone my age would prey upon a 16 year old girl. If he were 21 or under, it would not be such a problem, but 33???? That's just not right.

Miz point

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
Any dude who would "hook up" with a 16 year-old GIRL is not a man. He is twisted, retarded, insecure - in other words, not man enough to be with a real WOMAN. Gee, guess a real woman would actually challenge him and force him to sexually gratify her as well as himself????

Just a theory as I am reminded of an acquaintance from the olden post-secondary days who would routinely dump a girlfriend once she went into second-year studies. Infer whatever.....

AGEsAces wrote:

With friends like that, who needs enemies?

Miz point

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
Okay, Ages Aces, I understand what you are saying but....man, I feel for this girl because what she is into (perhaps or not) may not be the needed panacea?

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
Just for the record... none of my kids will ever have sex and there is no way in hell my parents or grandparents ever did either... that just sick/..

EdWin

major-contributor
major-contributor
I wonder what the reaction of some would be if the "adult" was a woman, and the "child" was a boy. I am curious to know if the guilty party would be chastised as much. Of course either way doesn't sit right with me, but still curious to know.

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
The older woman - boy angle would never be viewed the same. There are indeed double standards at play. All the guys are sayin' atta boy to the kid and wimmin dismiss it.

It's their, they're and there; in Canada it's colour, cheque, rumour and zed...

EdWin

major-contributor
major-contributor
Yes, and isn't it a sad reflection on our society. Where some things are acceptable for one gender and demeaning for another. Too bad that us being in the 21st century we are unable to make circumstances more equal between the sexes instead of these stereotypical beliefs that separate the two. I guess some things never change and that is a real shame.

EdWin

major-contributor
major-contributor
When I was in grade 9, a girl I went to school with ran away with a 28 year old man (twice her age), had a child, got married and are still married to this day sixteen years later. I still have reservations about that whole situation, but obviously her parents didn't think much of the matter to allow her to remain with this man at the age of either 14 or 15. But ultimately it's her life that she chose for herself.

Freeman

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
But, isn't that point? Can a 14, 15 or 16 year old have the life experience and maturity to honestly make that kind of choice? I don't think so, and while that age when someone can give informed consent may vary, it is not that young.

Miz point

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
I emancipated myself at the age of 16 - enacted said process at 15. It was a difficult choice and path to embark upon but suffice to say, a good one being that I had control of my life, my money and my educational paths. As to dealings of the romantic sort that came much later when I was more secure and prepared.

Infer what one wants to - children do sometimes what they must in order to thrive and survive but one can only hope that along the way they are not exploited.

rosencrentz

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
Are we assuming much too much in this situation without knowing the truth?
What kind of a miserable "home" life would this young girl have, tht she had to get away?
We need her story for sure! All we have is conjecture and that is letting us go wild in our assumptions about the situation , which is what this forum is all about!
I assume that she was being tortured in her home situation, mentally and physically, and had no where to hide!
I assume that the long time family fiend is just looking after her because he is a long time family friend!

rosencrentz wrote:Are we assuming much too much in this situation without knowing the truth?
What kind of a miserable "home" life would this young girl have, tht she had to get away?

I have no doubt that her home situation was horrible, to say the least, but running away with a 33 year old is not the answer. There is no easy solution to this problem, as CFS is overwhelmed, and putting her in a group home would be no better.

rosencrentz

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
The day she disappeared was her second at her new high school.
The family’s suspicions are based on two previous disappearances.
Lisa McCormick ran away in November and was found at the man’s brother’s home, and disappeared again in December but was found at the man’s house in Killarney, Kim McCormick said.
worries her daughter is being manipulated

I bet she's being more than manipulated. Wtf is the matter with this picture? Why hasn't the 33 year old guy been arrested?

libermom

I had a sister who ran away all the time. Not because she had a miserable home life. She just didn't want to follow the house rules.

Good point.

Another point, which is significant, is that the teenage brain is growing and teenagers can do things that are really, really dumb, without thinking or considering anything, never mind the consequences.

rosencrentz

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
So it sounds to me that the girl's Mom is advocating her daughter get liquored up, have sex and then go out to vote? lol
I think this is the 1st time that a young teenager has had a falling out with her parents in Manitoba?

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum