the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm


You are not connected. Please login or register

16 Year Old Can have Sex, But Cannot Buy Liquor or Vote

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

rosencrentz


uber-contributor
uber-contributor
So it sounds to me that the girl's Mom is advocating her daughter get liquored up, have sex and then go out to vote? lol
I think this is the 1st time that a young teenager has had a falling out with her parents in Manitoba?

http://www.elansofas.com

AGEsAces

avatar
moderator
moderator
I think it's interesting that so many people are hung up on age (except maybe Rosen if you look at one of his early posts).

Why is it ok for a 50-year-old actor to date a 23-year-old model? Didn't Dennis Hopper just tell his current wife/girlfriend to take a hike because he wanted to be "alone" in his old age? And I think she's in her early-to-mid 20s.

But...33 with 16 is COMPLETELY wrong? Is that societal? religious morals?

It's interesting how society does change. On CBC last night they had part of a program about sexual development in history. They talked about the Greeks in the 3rd Century BC and what was "normal" then. To be fair, the life expectancy was only to about 40/50...so if you made it to 40 you were considered an "old man"...but it was interesting to hear the standards of life at that time.

Girls...within about a month of having their first menstrual cycle, were "married" off to have kids and start a family. That's what? about age 12? sometimes younger?

Boys...at the age of 8...were expected to go out to parties with their fathers, drinking parties, and learn how to work. They were also expected to start learning about sex, and it was usually with men.

Women were locked in the home, to cook, clean, have children...and women who ventured outside of that were usually cast out or killed.

Now obviously, society has changed...but biologically...and in most cases...emotionally...the youth have not. From about age 12, all kids start thinking/wondering about the opposite sex...they start to experiment...either with themselves or with their friends. I have met VERY FEW women who have not "practiced" kissing with their girl friends when they were younger.

While crude and obnoxious in today's society...that stupid line Tick posted last year about "if it bleeds it breeds" is truly just biological fact.
Anyone who teaches Junior High, or deals with kids of that age, will tell you that age is worse than most High School students when it comes to sexual contact. When I was a school bus driver, our cameras would consistently catch the 6th graders hiding in the back fooling around...yet rarely would catch High School students doing the same.

So...IMHO...AGE has little to do with any of this. The 33-year-old guy might be insecure himself...the 16-year-old girl might be mature for her age. I myself dated a 35-year-old woman when I was 19. She enjoyed it because it was fun...and I got to learn a few things. It may be nothing more than that with these two. It may be nothing with these two other than him understanding she has problems at home, and would rather hide her than have her walking the streets.

Again...the mom needs to reflect on the "why" rather than blaming everyone else...and trying to change the world due to her incompetence.

http://www.photage.ca

Guest

avatar
Guest
AGEsAces wrote:
Didn't Dennis Hopper just tell his current wife/girlfriend to take a hike because he wanted to be "alone" in his old age? And I think she's in her early-to-mid 20s.


Actually, he's dying of cancer right now, has been on the outs with his wife for some time, and wants to spend his last days with his past wife.

AGEsAces

avatar
moderator
moderator
JTF wrote:
AGEsAces wrote:
Didn't Dennis Hopper just tell his current wife/girlfriend to take a hike because he wanted to be "alone" in his old age? And I think she's in her early-to-mid 20s.


Actually, he's dying of cancer right now, has been on the outs with his wife for some time, and wants to spend his last days with his past wife.

Thanks...I didn't study the story...just made note of him being old (I think in his 70s?) and his wife in her 20s. Very Happy



Last edited by AGEsAces on Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.photage.ca

Guest

avatar
Guest
It's cool. I was shocked to hear of his condition...

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Missing-Russell-teen-found-hitchhiking-83035822.html
"
A 16-year-old girl who ran away from the Russell area has been found.
On Thursday night, a motorist in the Killarney area recognized Lisa McCormick as she was hitchhiking at about 9:30 p.m.
The teen reported missing from the Russell area on Jan. 6 was the subject of media reports earlier in the day.
The motorist picked her up and escorted her to the Killarney RCMP detachment. She was found alone and unharmed. McCormick ran away on her own accord and was avoiding police efforts to locate her.
She was last seen on Jan. 6 at Major Pratt high school in Russell. She was living with her biological mom in Binscarth at the time.
RCMP issued a media bulletin appealing to the public for help in finding the girl.
Family members believed she ran away to the Killarney area to be with her older boyfriend, who has a criminal record for violence. There had been recent sightings of the girl within the community."

the boyfriend should sue the family


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

Guest

avatar
Guest
Deank wrote:
Family members believed she ran away to the Killarney area to be with her older boyfriend, who has a criminal record for violence. There had been recent sightings of the girl within the community."


Do not mean to judge the man, but someone with a criminal record for violence, chances are he was not some kind of knight in shining armour, taking her away from a bad home environment. Probably had more sinister motives in mind. But who am I to judge?

EdWin

avatar
major-contributor
major-contributor
Deank wrote:http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Missing-Russell-teen-found-hitchhiking-83035822.html
"
A 16-year-old girl who ran away from the Russell area has been found.
On Thursday night, a motorist in the Killarney area recognized Lisa McCormick as she was hitchhiking at about 9:30 p.m.
The teen reported missing from the Russell area on Jan. 6 was the subject of media reports earlier in the day.
The motorist picked her up and escorted her to the Killarney RCMP detachment. She was found alone and unharmed. McCormick ran away on her own accord and was avoiding police efforts to locate her.
She was last seen on Jan. 6 at Major Pratt high school in Russell. She was living with her biological mom in Binscarth at the time.
RCMP issued a media bulletin appealing to the public for help in finding the girl.
Family members believed she ran away to the Killarney area to be with her older boyfriend, who has a criminal record for violence. There had been recent sightings of the girl within the community."

the boyfriend should sue the family

If this is truly the case, and she is aware of his temperament, then she is an idiot who will likely learn a valuable lesson of why not to run away with dangerous people the hard way. It's rather unfortunate.



Last edited by EdWin on Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Miz point

avatar
uber-contributor
uber-contributor
Sure, blame the girl.....


_________________
Caesar is a salad dude
http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

EdWin

avatar
major-contributor
major-contributor
Right, because it's always the fault of men for women who make stupid decisions, eh? You are something else.

Guest

avatar
Guest
AGEsAces wrote:I think it's interesting that so many people are hung up on age (except maybe Rosen if you look at one of his early posts).

Why is it ok for a 50-year-old actor to date a 23-year-old model? Didn't Dennis Hopper just tell his current wife/girlfriend to take a hike because he wanted to be "alone" in his old age? And I think she's in her early-to-mid 20s.

But...33 with 16 is COMPLETELY wrong? Is that societal? religious morals?

It's interesting how society does change. On CBC last night they had part of a program about sexual development in history. They talked about the Greeks in the 3rd Century BC and what was "normal" then. To be fair, the life expectancy was only to about 40/50...so if you made it to 40 you were considered an "old man"...but it was interesting to hear the standards of life at that time.

Girls...within about a month of having their first menstrual cycle, were "married" off to have kids and start a family. That's what? about age 12? sometimes younger?

Boys...at the age of 8...were expected to go out to parties with their fathers, drinking parties, and learn how to work. They were also expected to start learning about sex, and it was usually with men.

Women were locked in the home, to cook, clean, have children...and women who ventured outside of that were usually cast out or killed.

Now obviously, society has changed...but biologically...and in most cases...emotionally...the youth have not. From about age 12, all kids start thinking/wondering about the opposite sex...they start to experiment...either with themselves or with their friends. I have met VERY FEW women who have not "practiced" kissing with their girl friends when they were younger.

While crude and obnoxious in today's society...that stupid line Tick posted last year about "if it bleeds it breeds" is truly just biological fact.
Anyone who teaches Junior High, or deals with kids of that age, will tell you that age is worse than most High School students when it comes to sexual contact. When I was a school bus driver, our cameras would consistently catch the 6th graders hiding in the back fooling around...yet rarely would catch High School students doing the same.

So...IMHO...AGE has little to do with any of this. The 33-year-old guy might be insecure himself...the 16-year-old girl might be mature for her age. I myself dated a 35-year-old woman when I was 19. She enjoyed it because it was fun...and I got to learn a few things. It may be nothing more than that with these two. It may be nothing with these two other than him understanding she has problems at home, and would rather hide her than have her walking the streets.

Again...the mom needs to reflect on the "why" rather than blaming everyone else...and trying to change the world due to her incompetence.

I agree with most of what you say Ages, especially when it comes to the mother. Kids don't typically run away from their family unless it is seriouly dysfunctional.

IMO, if my daughter was seeing a 33 year old at that age, I would obviously ask her why she isn't dating someone her age, and encourage her to think about the consequences of going out with someone twice her age (aside from wanting to give the man a 'fine tuning'...lol). There is a big gap in maturity level, and that could be a big problem.

I agree with your take on the mother. She sounds like she is in denial. To prevent it from happening, I obviously spend time with her and take interests in what she does, and tell her I love her. After all, most girls who end up doing things like this, in this case, or dating some a**hole who treats them like crap usually in my experience have fathers who either aren't there physically or emotionally.

Miz point

avatar
uber-contributor
uber-contributor
EdWin wrote:Right, because it's always the fault of men for women who make stupid decisions, eh? You are something else.

That is not what i said but hey, run with it if that is what you believe.

She
is 16 years old. She is still a kid in some ways and kids do not always
make rational decisions no matter what gender they are. Her so-called
boyfriend is an ADULT of 33. He should know better.


_________________
Caesar is a salad dude
http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

EdWin

avatar
major-contributor
major-contributor
Miz point wrote:
EdWin wrote:Right, because it's always the fault of men for women who make stupid decisions, eh? You are something else.

That is not what i said but hey, run with it if that is what you believe.

She
is 16 years old. She is still a kid in some ways and kids do not always
make rational decisions no matter what gender they are. Her so-called
boyfriend is an ADULT of 33. He should know better.

I'm not saying he isn't a creep because he is. However, she is sixteen, not six. At the age of 16, I would like to believe that people have at lease some common sense to make proper choices in their lives. With that said, however, sometimes we make stupid decisions at any age, as is her decision, and sometimes with stupid decisions come consequences that people will have to accept. (I hope to God it doesn't come to that for her). She needs to accept responsibility for her actions.

Guest

avatar
Guest
Miz point wrote:Sure, blame the girl.....

Nobody is blaming the girl. I think some are upset with the double standard in society. When a man dates a girl, we want to lock him up. But when the situation is the reverse, we either tend to look the other way.

When I was in Alberta, there was a well publicized case (even made it on the CBC), where a 26 year old man was suing a 41 year old woman, and the school division where she worked. Turns out that when the man was 15, he was seeing the 30 year old woman, who happened to be his Grade 10 teacher.

He fell in love with her, even though she was married, and in a position of authority. He ended up getting her pregnant, and she got scared, ended the relationship, and went back to her hubby. It was a relatively small town, and it was no secret to the school, but they chose to look the other way.

The woman would not allow the man to see his child, and moved away shortly afterwords. The guy said being manipulated by an older woman, and being dumped after fathering a child with her, made him suffer from years of personal problems.

When they interviewed people of the town, they just laughed, and the general consensus was "lucky guy." So obviously it can be damaging for either way.

Freeman

avatar
uber-contributor
uber-contributor
EdWin wrote:
I'm not saying he isn't a creep because he is. However, she is sixteen, not six. At the age of 16, I would like to believe that people have at lease some common sense to make proper choices in their lives. With that said, however, sometimes we make stupid decisions at any age, as is her decision, and sometimes with stupid decisions come consequences that people will have to accept. (I hope to God it doesn't come to that for her). She needs to accept responsibility for her actions.

First, he is a creep. Second, having been through this 4 times, 16 yr olds can be void of common sense very easily. Its one thing to make a stupid decision, its another for an adult to be part of that decision. As far as responsibility for her actions, thats between her and her parents. As far as the 33 yr old "friend", thats up to the law.

Guest

avatar
Guest
AGEsAces wrote:

Girls...within about a month of having their first menstrual cycle, were "married" off to have kids and start a family. That's what? about age 12? sometimes younger?

I read in this book of history of sexual customs in different cultures my grandfather had, the Japanese, especially soldiers, would consider girls who were about to menstrate (11-12), very sought after in medievel times. I guess they figured that the girl would mature in a year or less, and this way it was most likely they were "pure and innocent", having not been deflowered.

In North America, it has obviously been taboo, but for some cultures, it isn't really that big of a deal, especially in countries where arrainged marriage is common.

Guest

avatar
Guest
Freeman wrote:
As far as responsibility for her actions, thats between her and her parents. As far as the 33 yr old "friend", thats up to the law.

The law won't punish him, unless she was forced to go with the man, against her will. The age of consentis 16 now (it was recently raised form 14 by the Conservative Government when they took power). Oddly enough, many Liberal Party members were opposed to raising the age of consent.

Miz point

avatar
uber-contributor
uber-contributor
LennyJessop wrote:
Miz point wrote:Sure, blame the girl.....

Nobody is blaming the girl. I think some are upset with the double standard in society. When a man dates a girl, we want to lock him up. But when the situation is the reverse, we either tend to look the other way.

When I was in Alberta, there was a well publicized case (even made it on the CBC), where a 26 year old man was suing a 41 year old woman, and the school division where she worked. Turns out that when the man was 15, he was seeing the 30 year old woman, who happened to be his Grade 10 teacher.

He fell in love with her, even though she was married, and in a position of authority. He ended up getting her pregnant, and she got scared, ended the relationship, and went back to her hubby. It was a relatively small town, and it was no secret to the school, but they chose to look the other way.

The woman would not allow the man to see his child, and moved away shortly afterwords. The guy said being manipulated by an older woman, and being dumped after fathering a child with her, made him suffer from years of personal problems.

When they interviewed people of the town, they just laughed, and the general consensus was "lucky guy." So obviously it can be damaging for either way.

sheesh....remember the Letourneau case or how about the one unfolding in alberta right now?


_________________
Caesar is a salad dude
http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

Miz point

avatar
uber-contributor
uber-contributor
Freeman wrote:
EdWin wrote:
I'm not saying he isn't a creep because he is. However, she is sixteen, not six. At the age of 16, I would like to believe that people have at lease some common sense to make proper choices in their lives. With that said, however, sometimes we make stupid decisions at any age, as is her decision, and sometimes with stupid decisions come consequences that people will have to accept. (I hope to God it doesn't come to that for her). She needs to accept responsibility for her actions.

First, he is a creep. Second, having been through this 4 times, 16 yr olds can be void of common sense very easily. Its one thing to make a stupid decision, its another for an adult to be part of that decision. As far as responsibility for her actions, thats between her and her parents. As far as the 33 yr old "friend", thats up to the law.

BRAVO......so easy for those who do not have children to be so critical and judgmental.


_________________
Caesar is a salad dude
http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

Guest

avatar
Guest
Miz point wrote:

sheesh....remember the Letourneau case or how about the one unfolding in alberta right now?

Sorry, not familiar with the Letourneau case. Would you have a link for that? I would like to read up on it

Edit: Ahhh...just googled the name. It's that infamous teacher that had a child with the 13 year old boy in California. Yes, she is clearly disturbed. I heard that her dad was a leader in the White Supremacist movement, which is ironic since I believe the boy was of Puetro Rican heritage.

JT Estoban

avatar
major-contributor
major-contributor


_________________
Praise Science!
~
So saith the spider!

EdWin

avatar
major-contributor
major-contributor
Freeman wrote:
EdWin wrote:
I'm not saying he isn't a creep because he is. However, she is sixteen, not six. At the age of 16, I would like to believe that people have at lease some common sense to make proper choices in their lives. With that said, however, sometimes we make stupid decisions at any age, as is her decision, and sometimes with stupid decisions come consequences that people will have to accept. (I hope to God it doesn't come to that for her). She needs to accept responsibility for her actions.

First, he is a creep. Second, having been through this 4 times, 16 yr olds can be void of common sense very easily. Its one thing to make a stupid decision, its another for an adult to be part of that decision. As far as responsibility for her actions, thats between her and her parents. As far as the 33 yr old "friend", thats up to the law.

Then I would say that you are not giving many 16 years old the credit that they deserve, because 16 year olds indeed have the capabilities to make very smart decisions about drinking, smoking, drugs, sex, crime, etc. But it is human nature to make poor decisions at any age as no one is perfect. 16 year olds are not as incompetent as some believe they are. Not are they at their most mature, but definitely not completely devoid of common sense.



Last edited by EdWin on Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

EdWin

avatar
major-contributor
major-contributor
Miz point wrote:
Freeman wrote:
EdWin wrote:
I'm not saying he isn't a creep because he is. However, she is sixteen, not six. At the age of 16, I would like to believe that people have at lease some common sense to make proper choices in their lives. With that said, however, sometimes we make stupid decisions at any age, as is her decision, and sometimes with stupid decisions come consequences that people will have to accept. (I hope to God it doesn't come to that for her). She needs to accept responsibility for her actions.

First, he is a creep. Second, having been through this 4 times, 16 yr olds can be void of common sense very easily. Its one thing to make a stupid decision, its another for an adult to be part of that decision. As far as responsibility for her actions, thats between her and her parents. As far as the 33 yr old "friend", thats up to the law.

BRAVO......so easy for those who do not have children to be so critical and judgmental.

Freeman

avatar
uber-contributor
uber-contributor
EdWin wrote:[quote="Freeman
Second, having been through this 4 times, 16 yr olds can be void of common sense very easily.

Not are they at their most mature, but definitely not completely devoid of common sense.[/quote]

Never said completely, just said can be void very easily. And yes, some 16 yr olds can act mature, but we are referring to a young, 16 yr old girl, who comes from a split family reacting to an "affair of the heart", and if she was going after a young man, then that would be a different story, but this creep is 33 yrs old (twice her age for those who are mathematically inclined). If she was in contact with him, as a "friend", he should have contacted the parents and the RCMP, afterall, that would be the mature thing to do.

AGEsAces

avatar
moderator
moderator
I (vaguely) remember when I was 16 (or even 14)

I knew everything...knew that my teachers were morons, my parents had no clue, and I could do anything.

To this day, I know I was right...but I was still an idiot.

The problem MOST people have, is to believe that ANYONE has as much or more intelligence than they do. When you meet someone...it is natural to look for the good and bad points of those you meet, and try comparing them to your own "self".
You compare size, shape, behaviour, etc.
If someone has a shaky hand...you think "wow...parkinson's? too much caffeine? something's wrong!" Maybe they just shake their hand...nervous twitch?

So this 16-year-old probably believes she knows what's best for HER...and she's not wrong...she DOES know what's best for HER. It may not be what's best for her future, or what everyone else believes is best for her...but she's looking for something. Comfort, support, love...SOMETHING...and she knows she can't find it at home.

Everyone also has their opinions as to how to help others. This 33-year-old may or may not have been helping her. He may have just told her "hey...need a place to crash...come here" so she didn't go sleeping in a box.

They found her hitchhiking though...so what was she looking for now? Where was she hiking to? Maybe the guy wasn't for her...and she's looking for someone else?

Ultimately though...communication seems to be the biggest flaw here.

http://www.photage.ca

Freeman

avatar
uber-contributor
uber-contributor
AA, too true, I know from reading your post that I am much better looking than you are, but I agree with what you are saying.

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum