the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

16 Year Old Can have Sex, But Cannot Buy Liquor or Vote

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Freeman

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
AA, too true, I know from reading your post that I am much better looking than you are, but I agree with what you are saying.

AGEsAces

Freeman wrote:AA, too true, I know from reading your post that I am much better looking than you are, but I agree with what you are saying.

hmm...let's compare:
Me

You

http://www.photage.ca

Freeman

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
Told you so, you have funny ears. And thats not fair, I didn't shave that morning.

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
Miz point wrote:BRAVO......so easy for those who do not have children to be so critical and judgmental.

EdWin wrote:Then I would say that you are not giving many 16 years old the credit that they deserve, because 16 year olds indeed have the capabilities to make very smart decisions about drinking, smoking, drugs, sex, crime, etc. But it is human nature to make poor decisions at any age as no one is perfect. 16 year olds are not as incompetent as some believe they are. Not are they at their most mature, but definitely not completely devoid of common sense.

Here's the thing: I believe one does not have to be a parent to make informed opinions on children and the foibles associated with raising them.

A 16 year old can make the smartest mature decision one day and the most stupid and moronic decision the next.

That is why society has determined that 18 (in Manitoba) is an age that we believe they'll make more smart decisions than stupid.

But we're judging ALL 16 year old children equally. I think we are right in making them experience life for two more years before we hand them carte blanche with their lives...

It's their, they're and there; in Canada it's colour, cheque, rumour and zed...

grumpy old man wrote:

Here's the thing: I believe one does not have to be a parent to make informed opinions on children and the foibles associated with raising them.

A 16 year old can make the smartest mature decision one day and the most stupid and moronic decision the next.

No question that if a 16 year old is raised by 2 stable and loving parents, and chooses to act out, it's a sign of immaturity. And luckily, this is how it is, I would imagine, in most households in Manitoba.

However, unfortuante as it is, there is not an even playing field when it relates to parenting and children. And from many indications, this 16 year old girl seems to have come from a dysfunctional family.

It's much harder for the young person if their parents are absent emotionally or physically from their lives, or worse, abuse their children. True, some kids run away from home for kicks, like quite a few that hang out in the Osborne Village, and can return home any time they wish.

Unfortunately, these are the rare cases. Most kids who run away from home find it unbearable to live in the environment that they were raised. I heard something like 85% of street kids were physically or sexually abused by family members at some point of their life, so I'm sure there is a valid reason for these kids to run away, and live on the street. Sad, but true.

Freeman

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
grumpy old man wrote:A 16 year old can make the smartest mature decision one day and the most stupid and moronic decision the next.

I see you've met many 16 yr olds.

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
Yes indeed. In fact, I was one once. Fortunately I've never made a mistake.

Freeman

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
I wish I was as smart now as I was when I was 16.

EdWin

major-contributor
major-contributor
What I am most concerned about is what other young people (under the "mature" age of 18) will get from stories like these. My feeling is that there is too much emphasis put on age (which of course was instated for legalities) and maturity. So if we say that this girl was to immature to know what she was doing, are we saying that she bares 0 responsibilities for her actions? That she has 0 fault in this? If so, then my fear is that other "immature" people will feel that they have 0 responsibilities for the way they conduct themselves in society. To me, it's a slippery slope. Telling kids who sleep around and parent offspring, kids who do drugs, kids who commit crimes, kids who drink, etc. that because they are under 18 they don't know what they are doing and shouldn't be punished or suffer any consequences for what they have done is not a proper way to help them develop mentally. Allowing them to feel that they can wipe all the responsibility off of their hands because they are too "immature" and instead blame their parents for doing a poor job of parenting is a poor excuse. If we continue to do so, people under 18 will feel that they can do whatever they want and whip out the "I'm too immature to know what I'm doing so blame someone else" card as an acceptable excuse for what they do. Parents need to be attentive to what their kids do, no doubt about that, and have as much positive influence on their kids as possible. However, parents can only do so much as the kids enter teenagehood, short of locking them in the basement or dumping them off in the streets to fend for themselves, and then these "immature" people will begin to make their own decisions. If we do not teach people under the age of 18 that "if you do bad things, consequences may arise for your actions" then the rest of society will pay for this as a whole. Of course our joke of a judicial system doesn't help matter much, either.

This is where I stand on the matter.

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
No. I'm not sure anyone has said kids get carte blanche.

With few exceptions people, all people, need to be accountable and responsible for their actions.

What I am saying is kids often make stoooooopid decisions because they are young. And naive. And dumb. And inexperienced. And easily influenced.

And they should answer for their actions.

EdWin

major-contributor
major-contributor
Not referring to you GOM, but to some in our society who actually do feel this way. I know some who do, and some on this forum "appear" to think that way as well, IMO. As I said, to me, that is a slippery slope that we shouldn't ever attempt to go down.

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
I did not take your post personally...

I'd be surprised that any member of this forum believed kids should not be held accountable for their actions. Is this what you mean?

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
Red line person: give it a rest.

WTF is the point? If you're prepared to constantly red line peeps and NOT post (discuss/debate) what are you doing here?

EdWin

major-contributor
major-contributor
grumpy old man wrote:I did not take your post personally...

I'd be surprised that any member of this forum believed kids should not be held accountable for their actions. Is this what you mean?

Yes, that is what I'm referring to.

Freeman

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
I certainly believe that everyone should be called to account for their actions. This girl should be held to account to her parents. The 33 yr old guy, depending on his involvement, to the law.

BTW, now that I have posted, can I now red line someone?

EdWin

major-contributor
major-contributor
^ Agreed.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum