the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is the forks all hype no substance?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26 Re: Is the forks all hype no substance? on Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:43 pm

holly golightly

major-contributor
major-contributor
As Pav indicated, the only part of the Forks that is nationally designated it the section where the sundial (Path of Time Sculpture) is as well as the Ooneda Circle which is located beside the Children's Museum, the tall grass prairie section, the South Point, and the rail bridge as well as the Ampitheatre area which is the start of the river walk at the north end of the Red River walk. At one time there was an archeological dig that was going on right beside the kids park that is close to the sundial that was very interesting but it has since been finalized and covered with grass.
I remember when the Forks Market was originally proposed, the concept was each vendor in the Market was to be unique unto itself. For exmple, there was only to be one ice cream shop, one frozen yogurt shop, one hemp clothing store, one butcher, one win shop, one cheese shop,one grocery store/vegatable store. As for the restaurants, they too needed to be unique in what was on their menu. To some extent they have maintained that part of the concept and that may be the reason behind not having a Farmer's Market like the one in St Norbert as it breaks with the concept of individuality. However if they were to do a Farmer's Market they could design the concept after the hand crafted store upstairs where it is on a consignment concept and then each "farmer" would bring their product in for the one "vendor" to sell and then divide the "consignment" up accordingly. I don't know if it would be as big of a draw as St Norbert, the folks who go there to sell their product each summer enjoy and like it there as it is in a good location for them to get to and the space is large enough that there is no over crowding. And the price is right for them, much cheaper than what would be charged at the Forks.

27 Re: Is the forks all hype no substance? on Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:49 pm

AGEsAces

I think the Forks needs to run more "attractions" as well to bring people in, though their limited hours makes that difficult.

The one downside to the Forks is they are mostly a "weekend" attraction because the stores close so early during the week.

http://www.photage.ca

28 Re: Is the forks all hype no substance? on Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:32 pm

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
That might be a catch 22 scenario. They close early because of little traffic. There is little traffic because they close early...

...and...

It's their, they're and there; in Canada it's colour, cheque, rumour and zed...

29 Re: Is the forks all hype no substance? on Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:49 pm

holly golightly

major-contributor
major-contributor
The Market hours in the summer, July 1st to Labour Day are 9:30 AM to 9:00 PM but not all stores opt to stay open to 9:00 pm and they are not obliged to either. For the ones that do close it is not at a loss finacially to them as what they would pay an employee to stay open does not balance the moeny brought in. The winter hours (September 4th to June 30) are 9:30 am to 6:30 pm with Fridays being open to 9:00 PM. When we do go their in the evenings in the summertime, if we go inside it is usually for an ice cream/frozen yogurt or specifically to dinner at one of the restaurants. However I don't like the Pancake House, disappointed that Branigan's left the city so the only restaurant left there that I like is Sydney's and it is not one of my faves either. I will not go back to whatever replaced Branigan's, had a horrible experience there (a tale for another time). If given a choice of menus in the Forks area, I would choose The Current for a formal dinner/brunch/celebration, The Old Spaghetti Factory for a nice family dinner where the kids don't have to be really quite or Hu's on First just for the fun of it.

30 Re: Is the forks all hype no substance? on Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:53 pm

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
the forks is to far out of the way.

The bus service to and from the forks is terrible.

Too many of the free parking spots are taken up by the hotel and other businesses.

Prices for things are too high compared to other places in the city (due to higher rents and lower traffic rates) dont know why, but do know it makes it difficult to want to go spend money there doing shopping.

Maybe once they get finished the redevelopment of the park/play area it will start to thrive again.

31 Re: Is the forks all hype no substance? on Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:57 pm

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
I went to the Old Spaghetti House once in the last 4 years. Big family event - maybe 10 of us. It was a horrid experience. Imagine screwing up a spaghetti dinner.

They did do a decent job of apologizing and sent me and my sister each $50 gift certificates as compensation.

Have not been back since though.

Been to Hu's on First once for lunch. Food was delish. Prices were HIGH.

It's their, they're and there; in Canada it's colour, cheque, rumour and zed...

32 Re: Is the forks all hype no substance? on Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:00 pm

anny

contributor
contributor
The Forks is too far out of the way? I don't really understand the reasoning behind this statement. It's centrally located! If you live in the neighbourhoods surrounding the Forks, it's a nice bike ride or walk there and if you don't, there is ample parking. I think the parkade is a good choice because it puts a lot of parking in one area instead of the sprawling parking lots (one of which is now taken up by the CHRM site).

I think the baseball diamond hogs a lot of spring/summer parking as a site that's not really related to the Forks site. The Children's Museum and the new hotel/restaurant I would definitely count as part of this tourist, family, and cultural site, so the parking their customers take up don't really take away from the Forks - they're part of the Forks.

http://dineoutwinnipeg.tumblr.com/

33 Re: Is the forks all hype no substance? on Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:02 pm

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
I do like old spag factory. unfortunately sometimes their staff can not be as trained as one would like. and the tend to think that people want to sit in that one room that has the sunlight beating in melting the butter on the tables and blinding them in sunlight.

food is good, when they dont mess up tho.. love the spaghetti ala homer with mizthra cheese.

34 Re: Is the forks all hype no substance? on Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:03 pm

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
I stand by my statement that it is too far out of the way with not enough parking.

35 Re: Is the forks all hype no substance? on Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:15 pm

FlyingRat

Funny, I often find parking in the hotel parking lot!

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion!

36 Re: Is the forks all hype no substance? on Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:38 pm

holly golightly

major-contributor
major-contributor
To each his own, I enjoy going to the Forks, never have a problem finding parking and for us we are willing to walk to get to where we are going. If we are going there just to enjoy the place, we sometimes will park in St Boniface and walk over the Promenade just because... We also ride our bikes there quite often as that is a nice ride and very easy to get to from most places in the city.
Now for Dean who lives in the Tyndall Park vacinity, I understand his comment about it being out of the way for him, it is a bit of a drive when he can get to places like Polo Park or Garden Shi//y in 10 minutes or less. But it is part of our City's attractions for tourists so we enjoy it as much as we can.

37 Re: Is the forks all hype no substance? on Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:51 pm

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
Its not at all that its a bit of a drive. I go there when I can because I enjoy it. But the parking and transit it to it are insane.
try taking transit there in the evening or on a weekend. I dare you.

38 Re: Is the forks all hype no substance? on Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:58 pm

holly golightly

major-contributor
major-contributor
I have but for me it is easy as live close to route 38??? Salter so it is not an issue for me. And if I have to go there and it is more economical for us to bike or walk we will do that as opposed to transit. And as I said, if you don't mind the walk, parking shouldn't be an issue as there is plenty of parking available, just that all the "prime" parking is taken by people who don't like to walk.

39 Re: Is the forks all hype no substance? on Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:55 pm

AGEsAces

Starting next month, we'll be biking in every weekend instead of driving.
The ride in down either Portage or Broadway are the hardest part of the trip.

Once in, they have ample bike-lock stations around...even for the electric bike we ride.

And for the free parking, I seriously doubt the hotel patrons or employees are parking there. It's a 3-hour parking lot...and they get free parking closer to the hotel.

If they would just make a couple of minor closures...they could open up a whole new area, avoid congestion at the markets, and make nice area in front for some vendors and/or entertainment.

http://www.photage.ca

40 Re: Is the forks all hype no substance? on Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:36 pm

FlyingRat

There's a pic-a-pop in Johnston Terminal!?!?

41 Re: Is the forks all hype no substance? on Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:38 pm

Freeman

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
FlyingRat wrote:There's a pic-a-pop in Johnston Terminal!?!?

That would be a real draw wouldn't it?

42 Re: Is the forks all hype no substance? on Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:39 pm

FlyingRat

Not if I have to lug my empties from the parkade!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum