the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

now the usa is getting into the apologize for something they didn't do business

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/100701/world/us_kidnapped_girl_settlement_1

California lawmakers have approved a $20 million settlement with the family of a girl who was kidnapped and held captive for 18 years by a paroled sex offender......Dugard, her mother and daughters filed a claim saying state corrections officials failed to do their jobs. They claimed psychological, physical and emotional damages.

MissFae

You don't think the state is responsible for failing to adequately supervise this guy's parole? How does a sex offender get away with keeping a girl in his backyard for 18 years when they have his address and are supposed to be keeping an eye on him? Neighbours had called the cops about things they'd heard and seen in the backyard and the cops didn't bother to check anything out past the front door.

AGEsAces

yeah...i normally would say it's just the guy's fault and go after him with a pair of rusty scissors...but in this case...the state failed to deal with a known offender, and potential risk and should be held accountable.

If I was the father of that girl...I would make sure the state paid every dime of that $20M to me...PLUS any legal expenses it would cost me to get it.

http://www.photage.ca

MissFae

That 20M goes straight to her and her daughters now.

Northlands

contributor
contributor
This has the potential to open up a flood gate of past instances where people have been wrong or felt like they have been wronged by the state.

Please remember this. When money from the government is paid out in liability cases, it is coming from the taxpayer base. Let's hope the justice system down there doesn't let this get out of hand.

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
whats next.. suing the state for not putting Li away for long enough when he kills again?

AGEsAces

I would say yes...and maybe it will give a wake-up call to the lawmakers/enforcers on how to deal with things.

Again...we're not talking about some idiot who just appeared on the scene and the government had no way of knowing or controlling it.

Even in that article it said the neighbours called the police about suspicions, but they never checked past the front door. Well...the officers presumed they didn't need to. So I wouldn't say hold the state responsible for that.

But in this case they had also arrested the guy, and he was on parole. Why was he out if he's a risk to reoffend? If he's a KNOWN criminal who may commit another crime...there is NO reason for him to be out. In fact, if they honestly believe he WILL commit another crime...there's no reason for him to be ALIVE!!! He's a useless member of society and unworthy of any care or support from the rest of us.

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
Look at how our parole department performs. Lot's of black marks reported in the past year.

It's their, they're and there; in Canada it's colour, cheque, rumour and zed...

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
Granting the family $20 million is one thing. Making the taxpayer pay is another. You want accountability? Take the awards from the salaries of those making the stupid decisions about who should stay out on parole after breeches.

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
heh.. gonna be hard to do that considering Arnold just ordered that all State workers only get paid federally mandated minimum wage, and since Doctors and Lawyers are not required to make minimum they will be working for free

The system failed it should pay , it is an insurance thing anyway . this man only makes life sentences seem more the way to go . And before all tear into me about Capital punishment , this country has not elected a pro capital punishment goverment in 60 yrs or better. Don't want to get our hands dirty.

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
I wonder how many governments buy insurance for such things? Or do they self-insure?

Let's say they are insured I'd imagine one or two $20 million settlements and their premiums become astronomical or they are cut off outright.

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
I really doubt there is "private" insurance on this.

AGEsAces

actually, all lawyers & judges in the US are required to have insurance...similar to malpractice insurance doctors have.

That's who should be getting sued...not the taxpayer...however judges and prosecutors work FOR the government...so what will most likely happen if the courts grant the lawsuit, is the insurance company for those involved will end up paying.

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
Pretty sure the story said the state is on the hook for the $20 mil. However, if they sued the judges or prosecutors then I guess their malpractice insurance will cover it.

It wouldn't be judges and prosecuteors that would be sued but rather the cops that didn't investigate, or some other low payed schmuck that screwed up I'd bet.

It costs more to keep a prisoner on death row til they're killed than to keep someone in jail for life I understand. So, for financial reasons alone, I say keep 'em in jail til they die.

AGEsAces

Then again..maybe it will be government insurance:

Tiny Maywood, Calif., laid off every single one of its city employees on Wednesday.But that doesn't mean the city is closing up shop. City Hall will still be open, as will Maywood's park and recreation center. Police will continue to patrol the streets.They just won't be staffed by Maywood employees.
The city can't have any staff because it can't get liability or worker's compensation insurance for them. Maywood's carrier, the California Joint Powers Insurance Authority, dropped it earlier this month in part because of several police-related claims.Instead of declaring bankruptcy, Maywood officials decided to outsource all city functions.
The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department will patrol the streets, while the neighboring city of Bell will cover other city functions, such as staffing City Hall. Maywood already relies on contract workers and outsources many city services. The director of parks and recreation, for instance, is a contractor, and the city's lights, landscaping and street sweeping are handled by private companies. Los Angeles County maintains the library and fire department.Some of Maywood's 96 employees -- which include 41 police officers -- will also continue as contract workers.
Elected officials, such as the city council and the city clerk, will remain on the job in the 1.5-square-mile municipality, which has about 45,000 residents."Odds are residents will see the same faces as in years past, just under a different administrative process," said Magdalena Prado, the city's community relations director, who is a contract worker and is keeping her post.
Maywood is billing itself as the first American city to outsource all of its city services. In an odd twist, officials say it can provide even better services because the shift will help it save money and close a $450,000 shortfall in its $10 million general fund budget.For instance, the contract with the sheriff's department costs about half of the more than $7 million spent annually to maintain the Maywood police department, Prado said.
And patrols will be increased."Our community will continue to receive quality services," Mayor Ana Rosa Riso said in a statement. "Maywood's streets will continue to be swept, our summer park programs will continue to operate and our waste will be collected and hauled as scheduled."Stressed cities A growing number of cities are looking to contract out or share services regionally as the economic downturn takes its toll on municipal budgets."Everything is on the table," said Chris Hoene, research director at the National League of Cities. "The fiscal stress cities are feeling mean they are looking for alternative options to deliver services that cost less money."Some 7 in 10 city officials said they are cutting personnel to balances their budgets, while another 68% are holding off on capital projects, according to a survey the league did in May.
More than half of respondents say they will make to further slash city services next year if taxes or fees are not raised.Not everyone is distressed by Maywood's unusual plan for providing city services.
While Jesus Padilla feels sorry for the workers being affected, he thinks things might improve. He's made lots of calls to the county sheriff's department when he worked as a security guard and said officers always responded promptly."The council made the best decision it could," said Padilla, a local activist who has lived in Maywood for more than 30 years. "It's going to be good for the city and the citizens."

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
WTF?

"41 police officers -- will also continue as
contract workers.
Elected officials, such as the city council and the
city clerk, will
remain on the job in the 1.5-square-mile municipality,"

CEERRRAPPP that sounds like crazy lots of cops.. mind you it works out to less then 1 cop per 1000 and since winnipeg is at 1 cop per 500 residents I guess it aint that bad.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum