the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

olive garden unlimited pasta bowl again

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26 Re: olive garden unlimited pasta bowl again on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:12 pm

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
CitizenSourpuss wrote:No. Way. You're kidding? They exist? OMFG! I'm going to have to tell my father that when he gets here later. Not only is there still a Foodie Goodie in Winnipeg, but genuine Bonanzas? *dances a happy dance*

Dude. You just made my day. They disappeared out here around the time I started high school, and I just assumed the chain died. People traded salad bars for sushi. This is amazing!

skip foody goody.. go to buffet square.

27 Re: olive garden unlimited pasta bowl again on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:13 pm

Miz point

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
Seeing is believing when it comes to the existence of a Bonanza in Regina. Their steaks were trippy - they had those bbq grill marks "painted" on them.....good reason never to eat at a chain restaurant (unless it is a super serious craving on occasion and one needs to satisfy SOME urges) as the food is fake, fake, fake.....excepting of course the obvious stuff like salads which even now come pre-treated in big bags....thank you Sysco Food Systems.......Bleccccch!!!!

28 Re: olive garden unlimited pasta bowl again on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:15 pm

Miz point

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
CitizenSourpuss wrote:
Miz point wrote:
CitizenSourpuss wrote:
Miz point wrote:
CitizenSourpuss wrote:Good Post!

That. I cannot contemplate being compelled to eat multiple bowls of pasta. Never mind gorging on unlimited pasta. It's as weird to me as the unlimited fish and chips deals I see all over the place. *wretch*
One has to wonder how often or not the oil is changed in the fryers and what kind of "fish" is used at say a chain operation like Joey's? As for the Olive Garden, I reserve comment as when it comes to food not everyone is into an authentic experience.

I know that there are a lot of people who do NOT want an authentic anything experience. A lot of people prefer the white-y experience.

And that is why many of them are resembling that other "whitey" thing - the Pillsbury Dough Boy.

Right you are. Every trip to the US has proven this repeatedly.

hahahahah.....wait til' you hit a Walmart in Winnipeg or one of those tacky dollar stores!!!! Lots of Pillsbury types in Canada too!

29 Re: olive garden unlimited pasta bowl again on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:16 pm

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
there was a bonanza in PA taken over by a mom and pop couple.. somehow made it even better.. cant remember the name tho

30 Re: olive garden unlimited pasta bowl again on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:16 pm

EdWin

major-contributor
major-contributor
I always went for the salad bar in Bonanza; by far the best in town!

31 Re: olive garden unlimited pasta bowl again on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:18 pm

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
yup.
damn am I hungry now.

32 Re: olive garden unlimited pasta bowl again on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:20 pm

Sourpuss

major-contributor
major-contributor
Deank wrote:
CitizenSourpuss wrote:No. Way. You're kidding? They exist? OMFG! I'm going to have to tell my father that when he gets here later. Not only is there still a Foodie Goodie in Winnipeg, but genuine Bonanzas? *dances a happy dance*

Dude. You just made my day. They disappeared out here around the time I started high school, and I just assumed the chain died. People traded salad bars for sushi. This is amazing!

Personally, I could do without the Foodie Goodie. My father, who is the King of Buffets used to drag us to Foodie Goodie when the franchise still existed in BC. It was one of these family vacation halmarks. Eventually the Foodie Goodie in Richmond was nailed by food inspectors after dog/rat carcasses were found in the freezer, and they disappeared. That is, until I saw one in Winnipeg, and had to take pictures for my Dad. Huge family joke.

http://www.citizensourpuss.wordpress.com

33 Re: olive garden unlimited pasta bowl again on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:23 pm

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
yeah the one here is "okay" lots of food inspection issues at one time.. biggest being them neglecting to replace the serving utensils when they add more food.

But by far and above the worst problem is the "ice cream" station. Dear god.. I think I have seen people lick the spoons before putting them back for others to use.

34 Re: olive garden unlimited pasta bowl again on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:27 pm

Miz point

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
Buffets are the best way to get a dose of the Norwalk Virus.....the bane of cruise ships and Vegas-style all-you-can-eat extravaganzas. I am wondering these days what the findings will be regarding the latest E-coli outbreak at the Russian Pavillion being that many ate their food but did not get ill.....E-coli can be transferred in ways other than the food itself which makes me wonder just how often diners wash their hands BEFORE eating.

35 Re: olive garden unlimited pasta bowl again on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:28 pm

Sourpuss

major-contributor
major-contributor
Communal utensil lickers deserve a special place in hell, right next to the people who don't wash their hands after going to the can. *shudders* Meditating on that for too long is psychic torture for me.

36 Re: olive garden unlimited pasta bowl again on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:28 pm

Goth_chic

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
CitizenSourpuss wrote:
Deank wrote:

Personally, I could do without the Foodie Goodie. My father, who is the King of Buffets used to drag us to Foodie Goodie when the franchise still existed in BC. It was one of these family vacation halmarks. Eventually the Foodie Goodie in Richmond was nailed by food inspectors after dog/rat carcasses were found in the freezer, and they disappeared. That is, until I saw one in Winnipeg, and had to take pictures for my Dad. Huge family joke.

I could tell you stories about Foody Goody...one of my first office jobs was as a office manager for a pest control company. Oh man, the technicians would have some pretty gross stories to tell.

37 Re: olive garden unlimited pasta bowl again on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:29 pm

Miz point

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
Deank wrote:yeah the one here is "okay" lots of food inspection issues at one time.. biggest being them neglecting to replace the serving utensils when they add more food.

But by far and above the worst problem is the "ice cream" station. Dear god.. I think I have seen people lick the spoons before putting them back for others to use.

I hope you pointed that out immediately to the staff....ewww.

38 Re: olive garden unlimited pasta bowl again on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:30 pm

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
Miz point wrote:Buffets are the best way to get a dose of the Norwalk Virus.....the bane of cruise ships and Vegas-style all-you-can-eat extravaganzas. I am wondering these days what the findings will be regarding the latest E-coli outbreak at the Russian Pavillion being that many ate their food but did not get ill.....E-coli can be transferred in ways other than the food itself which makes me wonder just how often diners wash their hands BEFORE eating.

unless the hand washing stations are outside the lavatories.... just leaving after washing the hands could have been the culprit. heck even if all the people that got sick were shaking hands with one of the dancers or ambassadors..

39 Re: olive garden unlimited pasta bowl again on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:30 pm

Miz point

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
CitizenSourpuss wrote:Communal utensil lickers deserve a special place in hell, right next to the people who don't wash their hands after going to the can. *shudders* Meditating on that for too long is psychic torture for me.

Reminds me of the "double-dipping" episode/rant of Seinfeld.

40 Re: olive garden unlimited pasta bowl again on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:32 pm

Miz point

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
Deank wrote:
Miz point wrote:Buffets are the best way to get a dose of the Norwalk Virus.....the bane of cruise ships and Vegas-style all-you-can-eat extravaganzas. I am wondering these days what the findings will be regarding the latest E-coli outbreak at the Russian Pavillion being that many ate their food but did not get ill.....E-coli can be transferred in ways other than the food itself which makes me wonder just how often diners wash their hands BEFORE eating.

unless the hand washing stations are outside the lavatories.... just leaving after washing the hands could have been the culprit. heck even if all the people that got sick were shaking hands with one of the dancers or ambassadors..

In Vegas at the spots I ate at that were buffet-style, there were three hand-sanitizing stations one could utilize before getting near the food and plates....good reason for that particular year, 2004, three hotels had to shut down their food services for a Norwalk outbreak....two places were the Flamingo and the Imperial Palace.

41 Re: olive garden unlimited pasta bowl again on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:37 pm

EdWin

major-contributor
major-contributor
I think that you need to consider the risks when you eat out at restaurants, buffet or not. There is always a chance that proper hygene practices are not always implimented. No one knows this for sure (except maybe those who work in such places?), so if you are that concerned about your well being, then stay at home and cook your own food to put your mind at ease. Myself, I choose not to be so paranoid about such things and enjoy a decent dining experience once in a while.

42 Re: olive garden unlimited pasta bowl again on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:40 pm

Miz point

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
I work as a food professional and rarely worry about my dining experience. It is the hygiene of other diners that many of find disturbing.

43 Re: olive garden unlimited pasta bowl again on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:46 pm

Sourpuss

major-contributor
major-contributor
Even the best run kitchens, cleaned constantly, and monitored all the time STILL attract vermin and pests. I used to work in a large corporate hotel, with a well managed, immaculate kitchen, and the damn rats/roaches would find a way to get into the storage areas.

It's the hand washing/germ transfer issues that freak me out.

44 Re: olive garden unlimited pasta bowl again on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:54 pm

Miz point

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
CitizenSourpuss wrote:Even the best run kitchens, cleaned constantly, and monitored all the time STILL attract vermin and pests. I used to work in a large corporate hotel, with a well managed, immaculate kitchen, and the damn rats/roaches would find a way to get into the storage areas.

It's the hand washing/germ transfer issues that freak me out.

Exactly!!! For example, when leaving a bathroom after hand-washing, I never touch the door handle with my bare hands but rather use a bit of paper and I have carried pocket hand sanitizer for years as another precaution.

I learned that habit living in warm climates....I noticed how folks would not shake hands but rather knock fists as a friendly greeting....makes sense.

Vermin of any kind is not necessarily an indicator of uncleanliness....right now as we speak, rodents will be trying to find their way into your homes to make winter condos....does it mean your house should be slapped with a health code violation? No. Does it mean you may have to store foods better and bleach out your storage areas on a regular basis to discourage the little buggers? Yes.

Most restaurant kitchens, if run well, are cleaner than the average home kitchen. I saw that on some discovery channel program about germs and vermin one day....fascinating stuff.

45 Re: olive garden unlimited pasta bowl again on Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:08 pm

Goth_chic

uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I was at Olive Garden today for lunch, I had soup, salad and sticks. It was packed and most were having the unlimited pasta bowl. Man can some people pack it away!

46 Re: olive garden unlimited pasta bowl again on Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:16 pm

Miz point

uber-contributor
uber-contributor

47 Re: olive garden unlimited pasta bowl again on Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:10 pm

SMW

major-contributor
major-contributor
Goth_chic wrote:
I could tell you stories about Foody Goody...one of my first office jobs was as a office manager for a pest control company. Oh man, the technicians would have some pretty gross stories to tell.

After suffering two bouts of illness after dining there, I began to refer to them as "Foody Poisoning".

48 Re: olive garden unlimited pasta bowl again on Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:28 pm

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
I et there once. I won't be going back.

It's their, they're and there; in Canada it's colour, cheque, rumour and zed...

49 Re: olive garden unlimited pasta bowl again on Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:38 pm

Jondo

major-contributor
major-contributor
As a reformed over-eater I stay away from the all-you-can-eat joints. Upon exiting, a racing heart and red face (deep-fried MSG?) just didn't seem like such a good deal anymore at $7.99. Plus I couldn't see my feet anymore.

50 Re: olive garden unlimited pasta bowl again on Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:12 pm

Northlands

contributor
contributor
Miz point wrote:
Deank wrote:

In Vegas at the spots I ate at that were buffet-style, there were three hand-sanitizing stations one could utilize before getting near the food and plates....good reason for that particular year, 2004, three hotels had to shut down their food services for a Norwalk outbreak....two places were the Flamingo and the Imperial Palace.

Not surprised it was those two places at all. Especially the Flamingo.

51 Re: olive garden unlimited pasta bowl again on Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:14 pm

Northlands

contributor
contributor
SMW wrote:
Goth_chic wrote:

After suffering two bouts of illness after dining there, I began to refer to them as "Foody Poisoning".

You went back after the first time being sick? lol!

Ouch!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum