the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

just in case anyone was wondering about the city's infrastructure priority

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
http://www.reelectsam.ca/news.asp?newsID=1980

To demonstrate the importance of securing funding support from the Provincial and Federal governments to address Winnipeg’s ballooning $7.4 billion infrastructure deficit, Mayor Sam Katz and Transcona Councillor Russ Wyatt today visited the site of one of the eleven priority infrastructure projects along Plessis Road where a road twinning and underpass project is much needed as endorsed by City Council.

“Winnipeg’s infrastructure is in much need of improvement. We all hear about it and notice more each day; it’s time we get to work on these projects and give Winnipeggers the peace of mind that their streets and bridges will not fall further into decay,” said Mayor Sam Katz. “ This is not an ‘either/or’ debate between rapid transit and traditional infrastructure; we can have, and deserve to have both.”
Twinning of Plessis Road from Dugald Road to Pandora Avenue West, combined with a grade separation at the Canadian National rail line will provide more effective traffic flows, reducing travel times and costs for commercial and commuter traffic. Modifications to the Active Transportation Network would also be part of a twinned Plessis Road.
“With major large employers such as the CNR Intermodal Terminal and New Flyer Industries, North East Winnipeg has become a centre of industry, commercial and residential growth,” said Councillor Russ Wyatt. “To ensure growth continues we must have modern and new strategic infrastructure such as the Plessis Road underpass at the CNR mainline.”
While detailed planning is yet to be done for this project, a preliminary estimate notes costs of approximately $50 million to achieve twinning of this portion of Plessis Road.
Upgrading existing infrastructure must be a part of the City’s overall transportation plan. As the population of Winnipeg continues to increase, our transportation networks for roads, active transportation and public transit must accommodate our city’s growth. Major roads within the City’s network, like Plessis Road, also have an important role to play in meeting the needs of local and regional businesses.
Part of the stated purpose of the federal government’s Building Canada Fund is to fund projects that contribute to the ongoing development of safe and strong communities, including local roads and bridges. The twinning of Plessis Road will fit well with Canada’s goals for the Building Canada Fund.
In April 2010, City Council voted to endorse the following infrastructure projects as City of Winnipeg priorities for intergovernmental funding through the Building Canada Fund:

• Kenaston Boulevard widening between Taylor Avenue and Academy Road
  • Polo Park Area street and intersection improvements
  • Plessis Road Twinning with grade separation at CNR Rail Line
  • Regional Streets major rehabilitation
  • Chief Peguis West extension from Main Street to McPhillips Avenue
  • St. Anne’s Road twinning from Aldgate to the Perimeter
  • Keewatin Street north of Inkster Boulevard expansion to four lanes
  • Pembina Highway underpass at Jubilee Avenue
  • Inkster Boulevard road reconstruction from Keewatin Street to Brookside Boulevard
  • Community Centre Investment Fund Contribution
  • extension of the Pembina Highway active transportation network from Jubilee Avenue to the University of Manitoba, with a transit hub at the University of Manitoba.

Livio Ci

My kind of stuff.

Let's throw in the Will Clement Parkway Extension. Critical in opening up lands to allow for 100 Thousand plus residential units.

Land, boy, do we have land.Money, well thats another issue altogether.

rosencrentz

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
kenaston Blvd and the St James Bridge has to be a Billion dollars?

Bibbly

The plessis /Pandora underpass is a stupid idea and a waste of money that should go to other projects.

Electrician

general-contributor
general-contributor
  • Regional Streets major rehabilitation

• Does this mean they will finally finish Pipeline Road all the way to the Perimeter?
    (at least 2 lanes).

wpg_idiot

contributor
    contributor
    What Route 90 needs is fewer intersections and less lights, not more pavement.

Build sound barriers down both sides between Taylor and Academy, remove all intersection crossings (and lights) except for Grant and Corydon, Re-route Academy under the Wellington underpass, redirect Taylor traffic to Grant VIA Morphen Bvld, and Centennial St.

grumpy old man

administrator
    administrator
    wpg_idiot wrote:What Route 90 needs is fewer intersections and less lights, not more pavement.
    Agreed.

wpg_idiot wrote:Build sound barriers down both sides between Taylor and Academy, remove all intersection crossings (and lights) except for Grant and Corydon,
    Agreed

wpg_idiot wrote:Re-route Academy under the Wellington underpass, redirect Taylor traffic to Grant VIA Morphen Bvld, and Centennial St.
    Not so much.

Dead end Academy, Willow, Tuxedo, Lockston, Carpathia westbound and eastbound at Kenaston. Allow traffic to EXIT off Kenaston only, if traffic demands, using proper exit lanes. Ditto allowing traffic to enter Kenaston from those streets without crossing traffic and using proper merge lanes.

Be certain to build proper turning lanes at Grant and Corydon Avenues.

BTW Could not locate a Morphen Blvd. in Winnipeg...

It's their, they're and there; in Canada it's colour, cheque, rumour and zed...

Why not build a new skyway from Wilkes to Sargent or something? It would be cheaper and cause less problems as it's difficult to make a cucumber out of a pickle (Kenaston was never meant to be a freeway imo).

grumpy old man

administrator
    administrator
    Totally agree. But with the way this city handles the common sense approach to such matters I propose baby-steps...

I think the most important thing is to come up with a workable plan and the money. The rest is political gamesmanship and selling, selling, selling the idea imo.

grumpyrom

major-contributor
    major-contributor
    Freeways in Winnipeg? Yikes, like that's ever going to happen. This city missed the boat on that one about 50 years ago, and we're all paying the price for it now. Even now our city planners haven't figured out how NOT to plug up every major artery with intersections (see Route 90 from Taylor underpass to Bishop Grandin) That entire strip has seen huge changes in the last decade, and yet not one single alternative to intersections. Why on earth are all those big box stores not connected by an access road to Route 90? What's going to happen at Route 90 and Sterling Lyon when the Ikea development opens? That intersection is already a mess and it's only a couple of years old. It's a good thing we built the underpass to avoid trains just so we could plug it up on the other side with piss poor planning.

This city needs a huge overhaul and tens of billions of dollars worth of improvements to add some improvements that will actually make a difference. We're getting close to a million people in the metro area in the coming years and we have ZERO freeways. This is a major oversight on the part of the City, and nothing I see in the improvements listed as priorities will do anything to improve the situation significantly.

I very much doubt that skyways (raised roadways) have ever been considered here in the Peg. We seems to have a linear awareness or perspective only.

Imo, the skyway system is the only cost effective solution to our lack of freeways. But we will always be up against the fact (for cost/benefit analysis) that our "rush hours" only last a half hour at the worst of times anyway.

grumpy old man

administrator
    administrator
    That is very true. As "big" as Winnipeg is traffic is not really a problem. Today. That is what concerns me. In 20 years it will become a major problem that will only become much more difficult to manage.

The flows can be managed to a point imo.

With people living closer to where they work, the traffic should be as great, for example. So to regulate the mix is important at this time.

But I don't think our city councillors, or MLAs for that matter, think about things at that level for some reason. Smile

grumpyrom

major-contributor
    major-contributor
    How is rush hour "a half hour long"? I drive through downtown at both rush hours, and usually have to go through it twice in the afternoon due to my daughters afterschool activities. I'm stuck in it from 4pm to 6-6:30pm every day, their is no way it lasts for only half an hour. For instance, Donald southbound is a parking lot everyday during that time pretty much from Ellice to Confusion Corner.

As GOM points out, it may be tolerable (barely) at this point but what will happen in 20 years? That's the problem around here, everything is designed for the now. Nothing is designed for what will be.

wpg_idiot

contributor
    contributor
    Other than idiotic insertions of intersections, downtown's biggest choke points are the bridges over rivers.

grumpyrom

major-contributor
    major-contributor
    Mostly, but not exclusively....try driving down Broadway at rush hour in either direction. Your looking at a minimum of 15 mins or so just to get between Main and Memorial Blvd. Worse now that Assiniboine is one-way due to the stupid bicycle path.

The real problem with the bridges is that they can't even be widened to accomodate future traffic growth due to the fact that there is no room on the approaches. Adding extra lanes to the Osborne or Marlyand bridges would be practically impossible. I think somone here mentioned the idea of a tunnel under the river from Osborne S. before Confusion Corner to somewhere near Broadway. That would be a great idea, but one we'll never see in our lifetime. Not in this city anyways.

Eventually we're going to need at least a few quick ways in and out of downtown as most traffic (north end to south end, east to west) ends up going through downtown only adding to the traffic of people who work downtown. We don't really have any good alternatives to crossing downtown if you live on one end of the city but work on the other, unless your fortunate enough to work and live near the perimeter.

Electrician

general-contributor
    general-contributor
    grumpyrom wrote:Mostly, but not exclusively....try driving down Broadway at rush hour in either direction. Your looking at a minimum of 15 mins or so just to get between Main and Memorial Blvd. Worse now that Assiniboine is one-way due to the stupid bicycle path.

The real problem with the bridges is that they can't even be widened to accomodate future traffic growth due to the fact that there is no room on the approaches. Adding extra lanes to the Osborne or Marlyand bridges would be practically impossible. I think somone here mentioned the idea of a tunnel under the river from Osborne S. before Confusion Corner to somewhere near Broadway. That would be a great idea, but one we'll never see in our lifetime. Not in this city anyways.

Eventually we're going to need at least a few quick ways in and out of downtown as most traffic (north end to south end, east to west) ends up going through downtown only adding to the traffic of people who work downtown. We don't really have any good alternatives to crossing downtown if you live on one end of the city but work on the other, unless your fortunate enough to work and live near the perimeter.

The Arlington St. tunnel under the CPR yards would be more needed before any other tunnel under the two rivers.

grumpyrom

major-contributor
    major-contributor
    Not really....how often traffic a problem in that area? If I'm in the northend and need a quick "out" to Portage I usually opt for Arlington and I can't remember ever encountering any real traffic issues. In what way would a tunnel be any better than a new wider bridge? What additional benefits would warrant the added cost of the tunnel?

On the other side, both the Osborne and Maryland bridges are parking lots in the afternoon rush hour, a tunnel there would make a lot of sense since there isn't room for wider approaches at either bridge.

grumpy old man

administrator
    administrator
    Actually another bridge would be the best bet... Not sure where to place it though...

wpg_idiot

contributor
    contributor
    The Stupid thing about the Osbourne and Donald St. bridges is that they both end up at the same intersection. Maybe they should change Osbourne between Broadway and Confusion corner into an alternating one way street during the day (north from 7-noon, south from noon-7).

Electrician

general-contributor
    general-contributor
    Arlington St. seems not to be a hastle to Winnipeggers because you've gotten used to the problem, and are avoiding it. Trucks and busses go around, no big deal. But then again, you have McPhillips all clogged up every rush hour, while I don't know how the Saw Rebchuk or whatever-you-call-it (ex-Salter Bridge) handles rush hour.
    Is there a master plan or detailed map of the Centreport project available somewhere in the internet. I'd like to see the railway track plans to see how they will manage the crossings, and the mainlines from the city and from the West.

grumpyrom

major-contributor
    major-contributor
    Avoiding Arlington? Hell, I use it every chance I get. It's a much better alternative to McGregor, Salter, and McPhillips even. It is definitely not a huge bottleneck like the bridges downtown. The only reason McPhillips is always bad is because it seems like there is always at least one section under construction, usually due to watermain upgrades which are sorely needed. When not under construction McPhillips and Main have more than enough capacity for the traffic they see. The main problems are downtown bridges and the Route 90/Bishop corridor.

grumpyrom

major-contributor
    major-contributor
    Actually, Polo Park, St.Vital, Lag, Pembina from Confusion Corner to Jubilee all suck too. This whole city is soooooo poorly planned traffic wise.

I still fail to see how I can cover 40-50km in Twin Cities rush hour in the time it takes to do 15km here.

I still fail to see how I can cover 40-50km in Twin Cities rush hour in the time it takes to do 15km here.

When you're here...drive faster. Smile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
    You cannot reply to topics in this forum