the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

thanking god now deemed illegal

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1 thanking god now deemed illegal on Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:50 pm

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence

2 Re: thanking god now deemed illegal on Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:00 pm

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
Another example of taking PC too far.

It's their, they're and there; in Canada it's colour, cheque, rumour and zed...

3 Re: thanking god now deemed illegal on Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:04 pm

AGEsAces

a rule about "not drawing attention to themselves"?

what kind of stupid asinine rule is that?

You score a goal in soccer, you rip your shirt off and run around cheering
you score a run in baseball, your whole team comes out and cheers you on
You spike a ball in volleyball...you high-five all around
but if you score a touchdown in football you can't even take a bow?

that's one of the main points of playing in sports...the glory of the goal/score!!!

http://www.photage.ca

4 Re: thanking god now deemed illegal on Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:11 pm

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
isn't scoring the goal calling attention to one self all by itself?

5 Re: thanking god now deemed illegal on Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:29 pm

Freeman

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
Maybe the other team should have tried a little prayer, they got beat 63 - 27!! I understand that in your face type of celebrations are unsportsmanlike, but a simple acknowledgement, which is what this seems to be, is no problem.

BTW, in soccer, pulling your jersey over your head is a yellow card. Removal of the jersey in celebration of a goal is a dismissal.

6 Re: thanking god now deemed illegal on Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:34 pm

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
unless you are a hot woman?

7 Re: thanking god now deemed illegal on Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:57 pm

AGEsAces

Freeman wrote:BTW, in soccer, pulling your jersey over your head is a yellow card. Removal of the jersey in celebration of a goal is a dismissal.

Tell that to Mia Hamm (and others) next time in the World Cup.

8 Re: thanking god now deemed illegal on Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:58 pm

Freeman

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
She's one of of the reasons why FIFA instituted the rule.

9 Re: thanking god now deemed illegal on Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:45 pm

holly golightly

major-contributor
major-contributor
Actually it was Brandi Chastaine who tore her jersey off to bare her sports bra and that is why FIFA initiated the yellow card rule. Pulling your jersey over your head or taking the jersey off is a yellow card offense only, not a red but if you do it twice in a game it is a red (for 2 yellows).

As for the rule, I tend to agree with it (likened to the autographing of the football in the NFL) but I also think that the referree's should show a bit of discretion when it comes to "celebrating". Pointing to the sky to give thanks is not drawing attention to yourself, but belly bumping, flips and cartwheels are. There are times when you celebrate your goals/touchdown/home run but after a certain amount to score (because I play soccer I will say 5 goals) the celebration should come down a notch. When I was young, I had a coach who taught me one basic thing, it takes a good loser to be a gracious winner. I think that by being respectful of your opponent, you and your team are looked upon as being a great team as opposed to being a team you would rather not have to face again.

10 Re: thanking god now deemed illegal on Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:55 pm

rosencrentz

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
That rule is to protect teams like Eastwater who got murdered and would feel that God hated them! 63-27
"God must hate us!

11 Re: thanking god now deemed illegal on Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:15 pm

Triniman

general-contributor
general-contributor
holly golightly wrote:Pointing to the sky to give thanks is not drawing attention to yourself...

Disagree. It is drawing attention to yourself. Thing is, if God is everywhere and can know all our thoughts, there's no reason to make a public display of one's faith, at that moment, especially if it will cause a penalty.

What's next, having Moslem players bow down for a quick prayer after getting a TD? People should publically practice their faith in the appropriate venues otherwise we're allowing everyone to do as they please.

― Isaac Asimov

12 Re: thanking god now deemed illegal on Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:25 pm

Mantha

contributor plus
contributor plus
Meh. The showboating is very entertaining. If the guy flips the crowd off, or makes gestures that make it seem like he's having sex with a goat, then fine him...

Pointing at the sky, moonwalking, throwing your glove in the air and shooting it as if your hockey stick was a rifle - all fine.

Imagine if Teemu Selanne's record breaking goal celebration consisted of a polite nod to the screaming fans of Winnipeg Arena. Booooring. Smile

http://yaciuk.blogspot.com

13 Re: thanking god now deemed illegal on Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:34 pm

holly golightly

major-contributor
major-contributor
holly golightly wrote:

Pointing to the sky to give thanks is not drawing attention to yourself,

Where in my comment does it say praying to God or any other higher power? Pointing to the sky to give thanks may be thanking a passed on loved one for all we know. And it can be done very discreetly, as the player is running back to the sideline/bench/dugout or restart position.

14 Re: thanking god now deemed illegal on Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:38 pm

rosencrentz

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
On Monday, my wife quietly wrote up a $16,000 order! I ran outside looked up to the sky, and was rewarded by a bird shitting on me!

15 Re: thanking god now deemed illegal on Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:40 pm

Triniman

general-contributor
general-contributor
Sorry, I thought it was implied. My mistake.

― Isaac Asimov

16 Re: thanking god now deemed illegal on Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:44 pm

AGEsAces

I disagree vehemently...

There's a HUGE difference between someone celebrating a goal scored vs. belittling the opponent.

Someone doing a dance in the endzone, or ripping a shirt off, etc. is someone who, in the heat of the moment, is celebrating their achievement...and there should be NO penalty for such celebrations...provided they are not directed at the opponent in an attempt to berate or belittle them (and yes...you CAN tell the difference).

It's somewhat reasonable to curb outlandish celebrations (like cartwheels & backflips), but not for "PC" reasons, moreso to prevent player injury from unnecessary overexertion.

But penalizing a player for enjoying the moment of a point scored or a play well done teaches players NOTHING, but to ignore the fact that in sports...there is a winner & loser...and part of winning is the celebration.

17 Re: thanking god now deemed illegal on Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:48 pm

rosencrentz

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
Triniman is right about the outside display of one's faith being distasteful to some people, but it doesn't matter what anyone does, there is someone who is going to complain about it!
That is human nature, and I pray to God that they be forgiven! lol
It takes all kinds and our Great Country is just a perfect melting pot of individuals from every background trying to live together, in harmony, and being quite successful at it! Thank God!

18 Re: thanking god now deemed illegal on Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:00 pm

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
I'm totally okay with people thanking their "god(s)" in such fashion. That is almost never an in-your-face belittling display.

19 Re: thanking god now deemed illegal on Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:03 pm

Triniman

general-contributor
general-contributor
Just wait until it's Moslems then watch the complaints flood in.

― Isaac Asimov

20 Re: thanking god now deemed illegal on Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:06 pm

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
Trin, What makes you so sure he was not a muslim?

21 Re: thanking god now deemed illegal on Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:52 pm

holly golightly

major-contributor
major-contributor
AGEsAces wrote:I disagree vehemently...

There's a HUGE difference between someone celebrating a goal scored vs. belittling the opponent.

Someone doing a dance in the endzone, or ripping a shirt off, etc. is someone who, in the heat of the moment, is celebrating their achievement...and there should be NO penalty for such celebrations...provided they are not directed at the opponent in an attempt to berate or belittle them (and yes...you CAN tell the difference).

It's somewhat reasonable to curb outlandish celebrations (like cartwheels & backflips), but not for "PC" reasons, moreso to prevent player injury from unnecessary overexertion.

But penalizing a player for enjoying the moment of a point scored or a play well done teaches players NOTHING, but to ignore the fact that in sports...there is a winner & loser...and part of winning is the celebration.

I don't disagree with celebrating your goals/points/score, I feel that all goals should be celebrated, but at what point does the celebration become belittling? For me if you know that your opponent is not as strong and you have already scored 5 goals in say 15 minutes and the game still has 75 minutes to go, do you celebrate the same after the 10th goal, 15th goal or do you begin to calm things down a bit after each goal? That is where it becomes a matter of choice individually or to some extent team "policy". I personally like the attitude of certain professional soccer players who for example last year played for team X and this year play for team Y and because of the strong friendships/mentor-ships that were developed at team X, they do not celebrate when they score a goal against team X. I look at that player as being extremely gracious.

22 Re: thanking god now deemed illegal on Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:01 pm

AGEsAces

Sure...you can calm down if you like...and if I was a player who scored 6 goals against a weaker team (and I've done it)...I did not celebrate the same on the 6th as on the 1st.

But if (as usually happens) a coach sends in the "weaker players" when a big lead is achieved...and those weaker players score goals even against a weaker team...to THEM it's a big achievement...and should be allowed to cheer all they want...provided it's not deemed as "taunting" the other team.

And that last statement is really the reason the rule is made. It's to take that "perception" factor out of the referee/umpire's hands, and blanketly require anyone who celebrates to be punished...and that's not right!!!

I am a referee, and we have guidelines to follow. Heck, in some areas we work...if we even HEAR a profane word come from the court...whether directed at someone else or not...we're supposed to pull out our violation cards. Now I'm sorry...but if I make a bad play...I might curse myself for it...there's no reason for a ref to give me a card for cursing myself...provided it's not extreme...and/or does not delay or detract from the game.

MORE and MORE the "rule-makers" are becoming like the politicians we all complain about. They sit behind desks because they can't (and in some cases never could) play...and say "well, I should make it look like I'm doing something so I can keep my job...let's make some new rules...and make everyone "like" each other while they are playing"

The way things are going...boxers will only be allowed to hit each other above the belly button & below the chin...and only if they don't use a force greater than that of a glancing blow.
Football players will no longer be able to tackle anyone...they'll have to run up and just touch the guy's shirt.
And heaven forbid if a soccer player gets kicked in the shin...that should be a 10 game expulsion.

I don't condone violence or excessive aggression in ANY sport...but part of the game is the excitement and adrenaline rush of the score, the goal, the tackle, the win. And sometimes...ya just gotta show your excitement!

23 Re: thanking god now deemed illegal on Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:12 pm

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
I don't think any player should celebrate overtly if their team is kicking a weaker team. Respect needs to come into play. A good coach would not allow his team to embarrass their opponent.

24 Re: thanking god now deemed illegal on Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:15 pm

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
I dunno.

My son was on this one team. He scored 3 goals in one shift. He was so proud of himself. Being on defence he rarely gets a chance to score. But we were decimating the other team the coach moved all the players around, forced them to shoot from the blue line if they already had a goal or pass it to someone else. Not much more we could do to stop the slaughter. Its not like we could tell the kids to just stand there, that is more insulting then anything.

Was my son, who has never gotten a hat trick before in his life.. nor likely ever will again since he is on defence.. supposed to not be happy for himself?

25 Re: thanking god now deemed illegal on Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:25 pm

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
No, the kids should acknowledge the good plays of teammates. But there are graceful and dignified ways to do it. That is what I'm suggesting. Let's just not allow anyone to think over-the-top in-your-face celebrations are acceptable all the time.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum