the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm


You are not connected. Please login or register

Five Guys Burgers in May!

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26 Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:26 pm

EdWin


major-contributor
major-contributor
I'm not kidding DeanK. That place was horrible. I lived there for four miserable months, and the thing people talked about the most was racial issues. How whites couldn't go into certain bars because they risked getting beat up or killed by indians, and vice versa as well. I was warned not to venture out too late at night by myself to avoid being robbed or beat up, as is what happens quite often up there. I would never recommend anyone live up there. Ever.
The Pas is a shithole.

27 Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:27 pm

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
Meh. No different then any town.


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

28 Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:30 pm

EdWin

avatar
major-contributor
major-contributor
Deank wrote:Meh. No different then any town.
Uhh, I've been to Fort McMurray, Prince Albert (another rough northern town), Thompson and Fort Nelson. These are probably the roughest northern cities in Western Canada. And as rough as they are, The Pas puts them all to shame, by leaps and bounds.
The only places that might be worse then The Pas are indian reservations, and that isn't saying much.

29 Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:36 pm

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
I've been to all those as well (except fort nelson) and its all the same everywhere.

I can say though I was never more concerned then of the roaming gangs of older people of a certain ethnic persuasion in downtown edmonton. 15 on 1 is never good odds.


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

30 Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! on Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:29 pm

St Norberter

avatar
major-contributor
major-contributor
sputnik wrote:
Deank wrote:fries with the skin on them taste dirty.

Really? Aside from McDonalds shoestring fries I cant think of a fry that tastes good without the peel.

The fries at places like Wendys, KFC and A&W have TERRIBLE fries. All of them are consistently dry and stale.

Compare that to something like NY Fries, Lankys, Dairy Wip, or VJs.

Kelikis' Fries = Best in the world!


_________________
It's all about the wheelie. Everything else is Bullshit.

http://bgilchrist.wordpress.com/
http://bgilchrist.wordpress.com/

31 Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! on Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:30 pm

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
too cripsy


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

32 Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! on Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:31 pm

St Norberter

avatar
major-contributor
major-contributor
2nd best = My Wife's homemade


_________________
It's all about the wheelie. Everything else is Bullshit.

http://bgilchrist.wordpress.com/
http://bgilchrist.wordpress.com/

33 Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! on Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:41 pm

Mantha

avatar
contributor plus
contributor plus
Hambo's Fries. Thumbs up!

http://yaciuk.blogspot.com

34 Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! on Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:46 pm

Mantha

avatar
contributor plus
contributor plus
EdWin wrote:The Pas is a shithole.

I agree. Sorry, Dean.

I once took a bus up to Snow Lake from Dauphin. Got off for a bathroom break in the Pas because the one on the bus was 'occupied'.

I might as well have stepped in to an old west saloon. As soon as I stepped in, heads turned to look at me, the record playing in the background ended with the scratch of the needle sliding off the turntable, and all that was left was the uncomfortable sound of people fidgeting with their cutlery. Or maybe pocket knives, I'm not sure.

Walked in to the bathroom stall, did my business, and as i turned to leave, "KILL WHITEY"* was scrawled in massive, angry red letters on the inside of the door.

I hightailed it out of there pretty quick.

It may not be worse than any other town, but it's closer to the surface there. Palpable.

* I think Whitey was spelled wrong, too...

http://yaciuk.blogspot.com

35 Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! on Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:01 pm

Miz point

avatar
uber-contributor
uber-contributor
Deank wrote:Any restaurant that makes fries from a real potato but peels the potato first are better.

Depends on which potatoes are used Dean. The peel is good for you as it has lots of vitamins and iron.

And big yes to the peanut oil - more expensive but tastier.

When I do English cut chips at home I use rendered beef fat. I keep a stash in the freezer just for the fish and chip nights.....about once every two months.


_________________
Caesar is a salad dude
http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

36 Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! on Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:06 pm

Miz point

avatar
uber-contributor
uber-contributor
AGEsAces wrote:
Deank wrote:I aint had fries done in peanut oil... Based on chips done in peanut oil, I can see this almost being enough to forgive the PEAL being left on.

I used to have respect for your fast food connoisseur level Dean...but his latest aversion to the PEEL being left on has shown a disturbing side of you.

The PEEL is absolutely the best part of the fries, or mashed, or diced, or any other way of serving potatoes. ALL places that serve fries should be required to leave the PEEL on.

And yes on the mashed with peel on.....southern style with ham or bacon bits, heavy cream, parsley, butter, nutmeg and white pepper.....yum. The trick is cut them into smaller chunks for the boiling.

As well roasted potatoes, peel on, done in olive oil or beef drippings.....some rosemary.....(cue in Homer Simpson slobbering noises)


_________________
Caesar is a salad dude
http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

37 Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! on Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:11 pm

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
Mantha wrote:
EdWin wrote:The Pas is a shithole.

I agree. Sorry, Dean.

I once took a bus up to Snow Lake from Dauphin. Got off for a bathroom break in the Pas because the one on the bus was 'occupied'.

I might as well have stepped in to an old west saloon. As soon as I stepped in, heads turned to look at me, the record playing in the background ended with the scratch of the needle sliding off the turntable, and all that was left was the uncomfortable sound of people fidgeting with their cutlery. Or maybe pocket knives, I'm not sure.

Walked in to the bathroom stall, did my business, and as i turned to leave, "KILL WHITEY"* was scrawled in massive, angry red letters on the inside of the door.

I hightailed it out of there pretty quick.

It may not be worse than any other town, but it's closer to the surface there. Palpable.

* I think Whitey was spelled wrong, too...

ha ha ha/// jokes on you.. the pas dont have record players yet.


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

38 Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! on Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:11 pm

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
" The peel is good for you as it has lots of vitamins and iron."

who the frick cares.. I am eating DEEP FRIED FOOD

Smile


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

39 Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! on Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:12 pm

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
Miz point wrote:
AGEsAces wrote:
Deank wrote:I aint had fries done in peanut oil... Based on chips done in peanut oil, I can see this almost being enough to forgive the PEAL being left on.

I used to have respect for your fast food connoisseur level Dean...but his latest aversion to the PEEL being left on has shown a disturbing side of you.

The PEEL is absolutely the best part of the fries, or mashed, or diced, or any other way of serving potatoes. ALL places that serve fries should be required to leave the PEEL on.

And yes on the mashed with peel on.....southern style with ham or bacon bits, heavy cream, parsley, butter, nutmeg and white pepper.....yum. The trick is cut them into smaller chunks for the boiling.

As well roasted potatoes, peel on, done in olive oil or beef drippings.....some rosemary.....(cue in Homer Simpson slobbering noises)

now.. MASHED potatoes or even fried in butter potatoes freshly dug out of a garden.. those can still have the peel on. I will give you that.


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

40 Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! on Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:17 pm

holly golightly

avatar
major-contributor
major-contributor
Deank wrote:
Miz point wrote:
AGEsAces wrote:
Deank wrote:I aint had fries done in peanut oil... Based on chips done in peanut oil, I can see this almost being enough to forgive the PEAL being left on.

I used to have respect for your fast food connoisseur level Dean...but his latest aversion to the PEEL being left on has shown a disturbing side of you.

The PEEL is absolutely the best part of the fries, or mashed, or diced, or any other way of serving potatoes. ALL places that serve fries should be required to leave the PEEL on.

And yes on the mashed with peel on.....southern style with ham or bacon bits, heavy cream, parsley, butter, nutmeg and white pepper.....yum. The trick is cut them into smaller chunks for the boiling.

As well roasted potatoes, peel on, done in olive oil or beef drippings.....some rosemary.....(cue in Homer Simpson slobbering noises)

now.. MASHED potatoes or even fried in butter potatoes freshly dug out of a garden.. those can still have the peel on. I will give you that.

Fully loaded mashed potatoes, made with cheddar cheese, real bacon bits (crispy/burnt bacon) and chives, baked in the oven and served with sour cream. Haven't had those in more than a year because they are soooo not good for me but man, they are soooo good.


_________________
Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

41 Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! on Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:40 pm

JT Estoban

avatar
major-contributor
major-contributor
Deank wrote:" The peel is good for you as it has lots of vitamins and iron."

who the frick cares.. I am eating DEEP FRIED FOOD

Smile

exactly!....potentially fried in the renderings of dead animals....is always extra tasty!

Seriously...frying in lard makes the best tasting fries.


_________________
Praise Science!
~
So saith the spider!

42 Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! on Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:44 pm

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
freaking jerks Miz P holly and JT..

now my stomach is all rumbly.


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

43 Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! on Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:53 pm

JT Estoban

avatar
major-contributor
major-contributor
You might be able to get some decent steak-cut fries from the Italian place @ the food court under the old TD Centre Tower...or wait till tomorrow.
Rolling Eyes


_________________
Praise Science!
~
So saith the spider!

44 Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! on Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:59 pm

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
HAH!

dont have too.. 20lb bag of potatoes and new oil in the deep fryer at home.

What a Face

and delicious onion rings in the freezer too.


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

45 Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! on Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:24 pm

Miz point

avatar
uber-contributor
uber-contributor
Beef drippings are the best for fries.....I use duck fat on occasion (I have a can of it in the fridge I rendered) for potatoes dauphinoise.....the trick with any of this decadent food is just not to eat it every bloody day - eh Dean???? hahahahahha...sorry to tease you but I have been working on a menu project for a client so these days my head is in research and recipe development.....good thing there are young men in this big old house who can eat all the starch and carbs they like otherwise I would be like one of those humans in Wall-E.....hahahah

Spinach and brown rice for me!!!


_________________
Caesar is a salad dude
http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

46 Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! on Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:58 am

Sourpuss

avatar
major-contributor
major-contributor
sputnik wrote:
Deank wrote:fries with the skin on them taste dirty.

Really? Aside from McDonalds shoestring fries I cant think of a fry that tastes good without the peel.

The fries at places like Wendys, KFC and A&W have TERRIBLE fries. All of them are consistently dry and stale.

Compare that to something like NY Fries, Lankys, Dairy Wip, or VJs.

Word. They're horrible. Fries went downhill in the early 90's when everyone came up with these horrible "extra crispy" fries. They taste nothing like fries are supposed to.

Also? Peanut oil? Nom, nom, nom.

http://www.citizensourpuss.wordpress.com

47 Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! on Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:30 pm

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
soo... is five guys open here yet?


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

48 Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! on Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:03 pm

Bartron

avatar
major-contributor
major-contributor
I went to five guys in Brandon a few weeks ago. It was pretty good, nothing to write home about though.

49 Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! on Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:02 am

wpg_idiot

avatar
contributor
contributor
Would anyone compare it to Georges?

50 Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! on Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:13 am

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
apparently unburger is open now.

gourmet burgers and they serve beer and wine.


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

51 Re: Five Guys Burgers in May! on Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:42 am

rosencrentz

avatar
uber-contributor
uber-contributor
DeanK check out cripsy in #31-


_________________
They cut my back open ! Help!
http://www.elansofas.com

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum