the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lawless is Clueless

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Lawless is Clueless on Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:57 am

His latest theory on why governments shouldn't fund hockey arena's is truly superb.

What is even more amazing is that he makes part of his living writing.

We certainly scrape the bottom of the barrel when it comes to our media.

I've got him pegged as a shill for Asper, now he's shilling for Chipman and True North. At least he's consistent in that regard.

2 Re: Lawless is Clueless on Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:30 am

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
I read the article thinking the whole time...this is the guy who two months ago was praising the Manitoba stadium deal as making sense.

3 Re: Lawless is Clueless on Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:48 am

Do you believe that governments should be funding hockey arenas while putting off repairs to our infrastructures?

4 Re: Lawless is Clueless on Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:52 am

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator

It's their, they're and there; in Canada it's colour, cheque, rumour and zed...

5 Re: Lawless is Clueless on Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:56 am

JTF I beleive people who wish to invest in Stadiums, therby making a personal imnvestment in their Cities is the way to go.

On the other hand , I also believe cities should have the right and the power to spned tax monies returned to them whivhever way suits them best no questions asked except by the residents of the City

Of course, these types of projects would require debate consultation and a referenda by residents of the City. I also think a high percentage , say 80% would be required and a complete detailed plan be put on the table.

Take a look at our football stadium, do exactly the opposite of what we did and perhaps these projects could go ahead wothout too much angst by both sides of the argument.

6 Re: Lawless is Clueless on Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:20 am

Imo, professional sports facilities should be built only with private money.

7 Re: Lawless is Clueless on Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:25 am

I can accept that JTF, thats why I like the fractional ownership angle. I'd prefer governments assist me in finding ways to help me make the investment in order to support my City.

But the reality is it won't happen. So you are left with a poll of tax dollars being returend to you. How your local government behaves when they get their mitts on it is the question.

If Quebec gets a Billion dollars in fuel revenue they could easily leverage that money to a few billion more. Again, that would be a perfect world where people are honest and don't start skimming .

In the end, its their tax dollars being returned, its their responsibility.

8 Re: Lawless is Clueless on Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:58 am

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
Not in Quebec are those tax dollars their own. Not in Manitoba either. At least not all of them...

9 Re: Lawless is Clueless on Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:13 pm

Fuel taxes are, transfer payments are not. But if we maintain transfer payments for have nots as a basis of our confederacy then it should be their responsibility to spend it as they see fit.

Don't like the transfer payment, lobby to stop sending it if you are a Have province ( Alberta Speration ? )

10 Re: Lawless is Clueless on Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:24 pm

Charest is doing all this to deflect the controvercy from all the scandals that are plaguing him at this time. He really needed something and this came along eh....imagine that. Smile

11 Re: Lawless is Clueless on Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:36 pm

Outsider

contributor plus
contributor plus
Livio Ciaralli wrote:Fuel taxes are, transfer payments are not. But if we maintain transfer payments for have nots as a basis of our confederacy then it should be their responsibility to spend it as they see fit.

Don't like the transfer payment, lobby to stop sending it if you are a Have province ( Alberta Speration ? )
Wouldn't we be screwed if Sask & Alberta stopped sending Transfer of Payments to us?

12 Re: Lawless is Clueless on Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:48 pm

Well yes we would be screwed since we only collect 6.4 Billion in taxes but spend 10 Billion thanks to the Transfer Payments.
It is an interesting discussion to have since that Transfer Payment is what keeps this country together.
Also, the transfer payment if used properly could lead Municipalities on a road to revitalization and drilling it down further, ||Wards or Community's ( grassroots ) can begin to direct funding to progframs they would like.
The bigger question is how much of that transfer payment are we wasting supporting communities in far flung regions of the province simply because some people want to live there.
Very interesting topic with all sorts of angles. But in the end, the Feds hand over that money back to us, and we should be spending it responsibly and based on our needs. Does Manitoba do that ?

13 Re: Lawless is Clueless on Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:06 pm

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
With the ndp holding the purse strings? Heh heh

Not on your life...

14 Re: Lawless is Clueless on Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:08 pm

Provincial Conservatives aren't any better on the issue

15 Re: Lawless is Clueless on Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:10 pm

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
Been too long to say. I understand transfer payments have ballooned in the past 12 years. Ballooned!

16 Re: Lawless is Clueless on Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:18 pm

My comment is based on PC's not offering any real comment on the situation nor plan.

But then again, hard to argue against the fact the NDP provided funding to boost economic activity in the City. Has it been well spen t, some say yes, some say no.

17 Re: Lawless is Clueless on Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:49 pm

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
Winnipeg is the heart of Manitoba. Were the province NOT to have provided funding would be counter-productive.

I'd love to see how our tax dollars are collected and distributed in Manitoba. I'm willing to bet Winnipeg does not get back every cent contributed to the tax base. That means Winnipeg subsidizes the rest of the province.

So it is paramount the province throw real money towards Winnipeg initiatives.

18 Re: Lawless is Clueless on Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:42 pm

Outsider

contributor plus
contributor plus
grumpy old man wrote:Winnipeg is the heart of Manitoba. Were the province NOT to have provided funding would be counter-productive.

I'd love to see how our tax dollars are collected and distributed in Manitoba. I'm willing to bet Winnipeg does not get back every cent contributed to the tax base. That means Winnipeg subsidizes the rest of the province.

So it is paramount the province throw real money towards Winnipeg initiatives.
And it should be paramount that Winnipeg make good use of any money they do get.
And I would bet the contributors to the Canadian Equalization payments would say the same thing about the receivers. Smile

19 Re: Lawless is Clueless on Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:27 pm

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
Absolutely. Trouble is the province RARELY hands out money to the city without serious strings attached.

20 Re: Lawless is Clueless on Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:59 am

AGree on both commnents above.

I think the City should get at the bare minimum 600 Million, yearly with no strings attached.

Asa soon as the Province gets its trasnsfer payment , till such time as they exist or adjust up/down....the first line item is transfer money to municipalities.

we have about 750 housand living within the area closest to Winnipeg.

My opinion is that with theis transfer we can get on with building and planning properly. Perhaps we coukld even rein in 50 thousand residents who have fled the percieved "oppression" of City Hall.

Thats where winnipegs growth can come from. As i am experiencing here in Lake Chapala Mexicio, alot of expats are fleeing to get away from percieved oppressive local governmeents in their countries. I beleive alot of x-peggers may come back if a healthy discussion on the future of our City takes place.

Transfer paymentsw or Tirckle down with no strongs attached could be the best thing to implement for our future.

21 Re: Lawless is Clueless on Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:21 pm

How about revamping the system completely to have the taxpayers' money go first to the City (Municipality) then to the Province and lastly, to the Federal government.

That way the needs of the citizens come before that of the "government".

Just say'n....for the last 20 years. Wink

22 Re: Lawless is Clueless on Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:59 pm

Outsider

contributor plus
contributor plus
Livio Ciaralli wrote:
As i am experiencing here in Lake Chapala Mexicio, alot of expats are fleeing to get away from percieved oppressive local governmeents in their countries. I beleive alot of x-peggers may come back if a healthy discussion on the future of our City takes place.
I wonder if any of these x-peggers who have fled Canada would come back to their "oppressive local governments" in Canada if they start having health problems. Wink

23 Re: Lawless is Clueless on Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:34 pm

Xpeggers flee to stonewall east st paul etc. Expats on the other hand do travel back and forth

But yes that was the point..both expats and expeggers make use of ysytems we pay for.

Ijust think it qould bw betterif we implemented new
Ways of thinking to bring thm back and make contributions. Continually taxing people tends to drive them away...its all about nickels and dimes.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum