the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place?

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1 Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:37 pm

MrMyles

contributor
contributor
I want to get a new furnace in spring, possibly new AC as well.
Current furnace does nearly nothing to heat the second floor of the house.
I have kids upstairs who need 3+ blankets to keep warm at night.
Figure they can suffer one more winter, and surprise them next winter with the gift of heat (awww thanks dad, your the best!).

Any recommendation on where to go and where not to go?
What are prices like (I have no clue)?
1200 sq ft 1.5 story house.

Thoughts / Comments / Suggestions / Questions

Yesterday has passed. Tomorrow may never arrive. Today is MINE!
http://www.creativecompulsions.com

2 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:41 pm

AGEsAces

the odds are high...it's NOT the furnace.

It's most likely the balancing, or the insulation of the house.

How old is the house?
What type of walls do you have?
What type of siding do you have?

We do renovations all over the place, and find quite frequently, the furnace is NOT the issue.

In fact we've done several renovations for people who just got "high-efficiency" furnaces put in thinking it was the furnace, and found out it was just as cold.

http://www.photage.ca

3 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:42 pm

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
also.. buy those $44 oil heaters for upstairs for now... throw off some nice heat and are very safe.

4 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:48 pm

MrMyles

contributor
contributor
I thought it was not the furnace for years.
Not so sure now. Could be though, but I dunno.

1) 62 years young.
2) Plaster (frick!)
3) Vinyl siding on the front, stucco on the sides and back.

4) I replaced all second floor windows with nice new ones. and that helped a little, cuz the old ones could not stop water let alone wind.

5) No attic, but in the crawl space there is blown in insulation on the floor, and 4" pink insulation on the walls. Which I doubled to 8" 2 years ago (no help).

If there is something to do that is cheaper than a new furnace, I am more than willing to give it a shot.

5 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:50 pm

MrMyles

contributor
contributor
Deank wrote:also.. buy those $44 oil heaters for upstairs for now... throw off some nice heat and are very safe.
Thanks

I have a ceramic heater in the bathroom up there. Works well enough for there. Looking for more permanent solution for long run.

6 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:54 pm

AGEsAces

MrMyles wrote:I thought it was not the furnace for years.
Not so sure now. Could be though, but I dunno.

1) 62 years young.
2) Plaster (frick!)
3) Vinyl siding on the front, stucco on the sides and back.

4) I replaced all second floor windows with nice new ones. and that helped a little, cuz the old ones could not stop water let alone wind.

5) No attic, but in the crawl space there is blown in insulation on the floor, and 4" pink insulation on the walls. Which I doubled to 8" 2 years ago (no help).

If there is something to do that is cheaper than a new furnace, I am more than willing to give it a shot.

Same boat I'm in.
If you have plaster upstairs, then you have little/no insulation in the walls. You probably have wood-slat walls, with plaster slapped on, which means NO insulation inside the wall, or what IS there has probably fallen.

I don't know if you've heard this, but you're not supposed to put insulation in the roof joists of your house anymore, only on the floor of your attic/crawl space...unless you're using the attic for a "living" space.

Check your windows upstairs, feel around the edges/moulding for drafts coming in. Just because the window was replaced, does not mean the frame was. Typical window replacements just take the casings out and put a new one in the old frame. Frames leak more than windows do.
Some caulking around the window moulding right to the wall should help. If you're feeling "handy", take the moulding off and look around the frame for foam insulation or batt insulation tucked around the edges. If you don't see any...put either one of those in (foam is best...but more expensive).

Crawl along the floor of an "outside wall", where the floor meets the wall. If you have baseboards, maybe take one off. Feel for drafts coming in under the baseboard (or above it). If you have carpet...try pulling the carpet back a few inches...see if you feel cold air from the gap between the floor and wall.

The only way to stop the air coming in there is to seal it. Again, foam insulation works best, but if you have carpet, it could get messy.

7 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:55 pm

AGEsAces

Oh yeah, and if you have kids...DON'T buy those oil heaters.

Stick to ceramic with fans, so the heating component is covered.

There's nothing more dangerous than a hot surface and kid's curiosity.

8 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:58 pm

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
those oil heaters dont get hot enough to burn anything .. at least the one I have does not.

9 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:01 pm

Don't use Parson's P & H.

I did and wouldn't again.

10 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:04 pm

MrMyles

contributor
contributor
I replaced all windows myself, straight swap old to new.
They were my first concern, and have cut the heat bill and improved the temp a good bit. No drafts from the windows or around the windows now.
Foam insulation used around the windows.

In the crawl space there is insulation on the inside walls, but outside walls have none. I was going to add some, but was told not to.

I removed the carpet on the second floor last year, but being summer did not notice anything. Will check again though.

I am pulling out the main floor carpet just after x-mas, and will check baseboards then, but am unsure of the difference that will make, as the main floor has 0 heat issues.

Thanks

11 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:05 pm

MrMyles

contributor
contributor
JTF wrote:Don't use Parson's P & H.

I did and wouldn't again.
Thanks

Parson's P & H is now on my naughty list.

12 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:13 pm

I know it's a silly thing to mention, but make sure all the dampers are open...the butterfly dampers on the venting...especially to the upstairs.

Sometimes they get loose, so when checking, have someone in the basement and someone by the vent.

Just sayn'....

13 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:16 pm

FYI

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/residential/personal/new-home-improvement/choosing/insulation-sealing/roofs-attics/khi-halfstorey-attics.cfm?attr=4

14 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:16 pm

Eastside Ventilation did mine my brother in laws and s friend all happy as punch if you want this can be financed on your gas bill as can reno work . So it makes it much easier on the pocket . If you want email me and I cangive you more details .

15 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:41 pm

IG Guy

contributor plus
contributor plus
My girl friend and i just had everything (A/C and Furnace) replaced by Custom Vac. they did a super good job, clean and pretty much always on time and for good price! Custom vac will do the hydro finance aswell.

16 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:21 pm

rosencrentz

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
Ceramic heaters for upstairs?? That is what caused the fire yesterday where one lady died trying to save her pets.
My house was horrible, and we insulatd the attic, made a huge difference, then I realized that there were no cold air returns so the air wasn't circulating. No one could solve that problem, but how can the hot air not get to the upstairs? That maks no sense at all. Check your heating vents and the air flow. Leave the doors open to allow the heat to get up.
My son just put in a high efficiency furnace and air conditoner for $3300 for his 2 storet 1500 sq ft home. Really inexpensive price.

17 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:18 pm

AGEsAces

rosencrentz wrote:Ceramic heaters for upstairs?? That is what caused the fire yesterday where one lady died trying to save her pets.
My house was horrible, and we insulatd the attic, made a huge difference, then I realized that there were no cold air returns so the air wasn't circulating. No one could solve that problem, but how can the hot air not get to the upstairs? That maks no sense at all. Check your heating vents and the air flow. Leave the doors open to allow the heat to get up.
My son just put in a high efficiency furnace and air conditoner for $3300 for his 2 storet 1500 sq ft home. Really inexpensive price.

Last I read, they don't KNOW what started the fire yet.

And a heater with a fan that is PROPERLY used is of no threat. The problem is morons take off the cases to try and get "more" heat out, or they plug 4 heaters into one outlet, etc.

If you don't feel ANY air coming out of your vents upstairs...you probably need to check the baffles and perhaps get your ducts cleaned. You could have something blocking the flow. During the summer months, small animals are famous for crawling in and finding a nice home.

If there's air coming out of the ducts...then your furnace and ducts are probably not the problem...it's probably the insulation of the walls and/or windows.

18 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:48 pm

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
Yeah, they announced that a ceramic heater placed too close to curtains was the cause of the fire.

It's their, they're and there; in Canada it's colour, cheque, rumour and zed...

19 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:03 pm

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
IG Guy wrote:My girl friend and i just had everything (A/C and Furnace) replaced by Custom Vac. they did a super good job, clean and pretty much always on time and for good price! Custom vac will do the hydro finance as well.
Might I ask how much did you pay? What kind of furnace (High Efficiency)?

20 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:47 am

IG Guy

contributor plus
contributor plus
We had a Lennox Super high efficiency gas furnace, High efficiency hot water tank and a Mitsubishi Dustless A/C and heat pump. http://www.mitsubishielectric.ca/ductless/M_Series.html <-- has more info on the Mitsubishi unit. We also had to have all the eletrical panel changed to 200 amp service as we had 100 amp before. We were sure to have them install digital themrostats. The grand total was $11,678 and change. Keeping in mind that the Mitsubishi unit ate up about $6,000 of that. But that unit is highly recommended and was heating our hole house in till the sub 30 weather hit and that was the first time we fired up the furnace. So it was about a month and a half longer that we did not have to run the furnace. After the MB hydro rebate, we paid a little over $10,000.

Last edited by IG Guy on Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

21 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:01 am

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
How are the heating bills now that you've got a high efficiency furnace? I'd considered getting that ductless A/C system but the cost scared me away. Wow, they've not come down much eh?

It's their, they're and there; in Canada it's colour, cheque, rumour and zed...

22 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:08 am

Mine Air and furnace high efficient was 5300 installed and the gas bill went from budget 130 a month to 72 a month . Hydro on the 13 seer air not sure how much difference it made not much as it is only used for 2,3 months of the year . The rating is determined in California where it is used more .
Love the system though as it is much more reliable and under warranty for 10 yrs, lifetime on most major components.

23 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:28 am

IG Guy

contributor plus
contributor plus
Yea the price of the unit almost caused a minor heart attack and as I watched them install it and how small it is, I thought "there's no way this thing can cool the whole house, let alone heat it". But now I would do it again in a heart beat. The bills the mitsubishi running are around $80-$100. This is the first month actually running the furnace, so I'm not to sure how much it will cost to run yet.

24 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:48 pm

MrMyles

contributor
contributor
Sorry for the big delay on my reply. Super busy as of late.

Upstairs is pretty damn cold right now, so a new furnace is on my mind even more.

Ventilation is no doubt an issue. No cold air return that I know of on second floor. I have checked everything I can on my own, and see no issues (but what the hell do I know). I suppose it cannot hurt to have the ducts professionally cleaned though. Cheaper than a new furnace. Any thoughts on that?

Insulation in the attic (the section I can access) was normal with yellow fiberglass insulation on the inside walls. But 2 or 3 years ago I doubled it up. Bought bags of new pink insulation and lined it up horizontally in front of the existing insulation, giving it 2 layers (8").

Like This:

25 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:53 pm

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
no cold air return? well thats probably the bigger problem no?

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum