the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

51 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:40 pm

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
you can get some fairly large and quite decorative cold air return vent covers so how crappy you cut the whole should not be much of an issue.
but if you do need it to look pretty... listen to ages Smile

52 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:41 pm

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
"But to do that, I would need to be sure that would help a lot with the heat upstairs."

yeah you need the suction test basically then..

Also check in and around the furnace.. the cold air return ducts could be set up completely wrong.

53 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:42 pm

MrMyles

contributor
contributor
Not concerned about the end of the vent. That can be done easily.

Worried about opening up the walls to run the vent up from the main floor to the second floor.

Yesterday has passed. Tomorrow may never arrive. Today is MINE!
http://www.creativecompulsions.com

54 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:42 pm

MrMyles

contributor
contributor
Deank wrote:

Also check in and around the furnace.. the cold air return ducts could be set up completely wrong.
What would I be looking for in terms of "set up completely wrong"?

55 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:47 pm

grumpy old man

administrator
administrator
I am by no means competent when it comes to HVAC but I seem to recall that venting into a cold area (attic) might cause more problems then possibly imagined due to condensation.

Best get some expert advise. Call a contractor and explain your situation. Invite them to tour your home in order to prepare a quotation. Then decide what to do.

It's their, they're and there; in Canada it's colour, cheque, rumour and zed...

56 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:50 pm

IG Guy

contributor plus
contributor plus
AGEsAces wrote:the best thing to do, is to make sure your vents are not leaking somewhere already.

do the suction thing for the intake.

cover all but 1 of your vents and see if the pressure changes at the 1 left open.

look for signs heat/air is getting out of system somewhere else (ie. cracks, breaks) and tape them with foil tape.

if you do have to tear into the wall...remember to remove from stud-to-stud...not just cutting wide enough to squeeze a vent pipe in. It will be much easier to tie in drywall if you can hit the studs...and the tape lines will be easier to hide.

before putting tape/plaster on the existing plaster...get a belt sander or rotary sander and take off about 1/8" of an inch about the width of the tape. then put the tape on. It will make a much smoother line and blend in easier.

MyMyles, I think I know who you are hiring! lol

57 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:51 pm

IG Guy

contributor plus
contributor plus
grumpy old man wrote:I am by no means competent when it comes to HVAC but I seem to recall that venting into a cold area (attic) might cause more problems then possibly imagined due to condensation.

Best get some expert advise. Call a contractor and explain your situation. Invite them to tour your home in order to prepare a quotation. Then decide what to do.

Yes you really do want any ducting that is going through differant temp. ranges to be insolated.

58 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:02 pm

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
MrMyles wrote:
Deank wrote:

What would I be looking for in terms of "set up completely wrong"?
use some feathers..... what happens in the furnace room when the furnace kicks on?
Is the air merely being sucked from under the door to the furnace room? or any other such issues like that around the duct work.

also.... is there still that Gov rebate for getting a heating professional to come in and analyze where your heat loss is and how to fix it? Or has that expired. If it exists... all the work can be pretty close to free(ish)

59 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:07 pm

AGEsAces

Deank wrote:you can get some fairly large and quite decorative cold air return vent covers so how crappy you cut the hole should not be much of an issue.
but if you do need it to look pretty... listen to ages Smile

I'm not talking about the hole for the vent cover...in order for him to get the vent in the wall (to reach the intake return access point) he'll have to cut a section of wall out to put the pipe in. It's not like you can fish an entire pipe up into the wall.

http://www.photage.ca

60 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:09 pm

MrMyles

contributor
contributor
Deank wrote:also.... is there still that Gov rebate for getting a heating professional to come in and analyze where your heat loss is and how to fix it? Or has that expired. If it exists... all the work can be pretty close to free(ish)
Nope, ended 1 or 2 years ago.
$300 to do it now.

61 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:10 pm

AGEsAces

grumpy old man wrote:I am by no means competent when it comes to HVAC but I seem to recall that venting into a cold area (attic) might cause more problems then possibly imagined due to condensation.

Your venting should go outside...not in the attic.

A cold-air return may be placed in the attic (it's a "cold zone"), though if you have a "high-efficiency" furnace, it's better to recycle the air in the rest of the house...not pull from the attic.

62 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:10 pm

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
dont use a pipe

use the 2x4 studs and the wall coverings as the "pipe"

you just need to open the top up of the return vent in the main floor. cut a hole in the wall of the second floor(make sure it is the same "section" of the wall )

and seal off the section and the top of the new vent hole you just cut.

I have seen this in many many houses. And it works.

63 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:11 pm

AGEsAces

IG Guy wrote:
AGEsAces wrote:the best thing to do, is to make sure your vents are not leaking somewhere already.

do the suction thing for the intake.

cover all but 1 of your vents and see if the pressure changes at the 1 left open.

look for signs heat/air is getting out of system somewhere else (ie. cracks, breaks) and tape them with foil tape.

if you do have to tear into the wall...remember to remove from stud-to-stud...not just cutting wide enough to squeeze a vent pipe in. It will be much easier to tie in drywall if you can hit the studs...and the tape lines will be easier to hide.

before putting tape/plaster on the existing plaster...get a belt sander or rotary sander and take off about 1/8" of an inch about the width of the tape. then put the tape on. It will make a much smoother line and blend in easier.

MyMyles, I think I know who you are hiring! lol

My boss knows tons (oops...Canadian tonnes Wink) more than I do. He's quite an expert actually. I get most my advice for home-repair from him (since he's been doing commercial & residential construction for 17 years).

64 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:12 pm

Your thinking of a home evaluation and no the cold air is not the problem as most of the cold air is recirculated . remember hot air rises and most of the normal heat in the house will rise to the 3rd floor .
You are pulling it back down , every floor needs so many cold to hot vents depending on sq ft of area . There is a rule of thumb which I don;t have handy but can get it if you want . Also what is the BTU of your furnace can it handle x amount of extra space as it will mean less somewhere else or all over the house.

65 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:13 pm

Deank wrote:dont use a pipe

you just need to open the top up of the return vent in the main floor. cut a hole in the wall of the second floor(make sure it is the same "section" of the wall )

Also adds to your dust level alot .

66 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:14 pm

AGEsAces

Deank wrote:dont use a pipe

that's a very inefficient method of doing it. especially if he has plaster walls. this means he has wood lathe, and a gap at each 2x4. Yes, it would provide a point of suction on the 2nd floor, but it would also encourage a vacuum of the rest of the walls & plaster into the furnace.

And, if a good home inspector ever came in...they'd question why there's a hole in the wall with no vent attached.

67 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:15 pm

Deank

contributor eminence
contributor eminence
"most of the normal heat in the house will rise to the 3rd floor . " that will really depend on the air flow in the house and is one of the reasons that we started putting cold air returns in our buildings, so that the cold air has a direct path to "sink".

68 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:23 pm

rosencrentz

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
My house, 1 3/4 story has NO COLD AIR returns.
Managing the heating and cooling is a challenge. I keep the bedroom doors upstairs open to allow the cold air to drop naturally, and had a cold air return installed in the basement on the furnace.
In the summer with the air conditioning I block off all lower vents, forcing the cold air up through the 2nd floor vents, and then the cooler air will drop.
You need a professional to figure out what the problem is, and I would suggest you call in a professional and tell him what the problem is, and ask him to solve the problem.
My son in his 2 storey 1500 ft house just put in heat and air for $3000, and you have Furnasman advertising for a lot less. All costs can be put on your hydro bill at 6.5% interest so the cost become very small on a monthly basis, especially if you go from an old inefficient furnace to a high efficient one.
Figure out why there is no heat getting up through your heating vents? Is it because the upstairs rooms have the door closed, preventing cooler air from coming down to be recirculated.If your doors are closed it could be as simple as that! Your air has to circulate.
This is not a do it yourself thing, unless your furnace is the right size, than it is something that you should be able to figure out.
My stupid house has no cold air returns, was built in the 1920's and was built by army engineers, so that explains that.
The previous owner moved all the rooms around and did not understand that when you turn a heating vent at a 90* angle you cut down on the flow of the air by 50%.

Last edited by rosencrentz on Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : too hot to handle)

http://www.elansofas.com

69 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:27 pm

Talk to a pro yes and no offence house builders are not that, I have seen some of the messes they create talk to heating pro Eastside Ventalation are the old Furnasman and are much better then the present one ..

70 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:31 pm

MrMyles

contributor
contributor
Agree. Call a pro. Get someone in who can see the situation and solve the riddle.
Rooms upstairs are always open.

71 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:35 pm

AGEsAces

Eastside is good, as is Great West.

Both of them work as subtrades on our construction projects.

And Pav...no offense taken...there's a REASON we hire subtrades to do most of our work for us Smile.

MrMyles...if you call Eastside or Great West, feel free to tell them Alex from Gardon sent you. It may not mean anything...but it never hurts to try.

72 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:41 pm

MrMyles

contributor
contributor
Thanks for the help everyone.
Will call:
Eastside
Furnaceman
Great West

A good thing now, is I know a little more so I know what to look for and ask about when talking to them.

73 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:23 am

rosencrentz

uber-contributor
uber-contributor
Can you feel heat coming out of your upstairs vents? And how does the flow compare to the main floor vents?
I am not sure what side of town you live in, but in most areas hot air rises unless you are the sandbox, then one wouldn't really know in what direction the hot air goes. lol

74 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:10 am

IG Guy

contributor plus
contributor plus
I highly recommend CustomVac. They did a really good job on our place and they where super clean. You could not tell that they had been there. It was like "old crappy furance" when we left for work and magically a brand new one neatly installed, no dirt or dust peft around and no un-needed exposed wiring or piping. Very good in my opion.

75 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:33 am

Wouldn't that pretty much be an ordinary installation?

76 Re: Can anyone reccomend a good HVAC place? on Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:47 am

IG Guy

contributor plus
contributor plus
JTF wrote:Wouldn't that pretty much be an ordinary installation?

You would hope so. But when we had windows done, there were pile (and I mean literally piles) of dust and there was dirt all over our new couches, hand prints on the walls. It was horrible! So it was nice to see after CustomVac was in the house and you couldn't tell.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum