the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm


You are not connected. Please login or register

utility marking in backyard????

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1 utility marking in backyard???? on Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:08 am

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
so.. I go out to water the new grass I planted this morning and there is a red line marking what is perhaps utility? Running through my back yard.

I never requested it, nor was I given any notice of them coming onto my property so I would damn sure like to know who and why since whatever it is runs under my garage apparently. How do I find out?


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

2 Re: utility marking in backyard???? on Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:09 am

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
huh.. interesting.. apparently RED means hydro

http://www.callb4udig.mb.ca/APWA.htm

so I will straight out call them I guess.


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

3 Re: utility marking in backyard???? on Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:19 am

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
well.. that was a interesting. Apparently my neighbours requested it.... but.. does the utility have the legal right to come on to my side without asking?


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

4 Re: utility marking in backyard???? on Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:22 am

grumpy old man

avatar
administrator
administrator
Not in my opinion do they. At the very least they owe you a phone call to explain what they intend to do and to ensure it does not impact you in any way.


_________________
Yes, I really am that Grumpy...

It's their, they're and there; in Canada it's colour, cheque, rumour and zed...

5 Re: utility marking in backyard???? on Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:26 am

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
thats what I figure too. A phone call or a knock on the door.

Then again they probably did and my kids are just morons.


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

6 Re: utility marking in backyard???? on Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:09 am

sputnik

avatar
contributor plus
contributor plus
Why are you getting so worked up about this?

7 Re: utility marking in backyard???? on Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:17 am

grumpy old man

avatar
administrator
administrator
You're okay with someone about to dig up your back yard without even the common courtesy of a how do you do?


_________________
Yes, I really am that Grumpy...

It's their, they're and there; in Canada it's colour, cheque, rumour and zed...

8 Re: utility marking in backyard???? on Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:19 am

Guest

avatar
Guest
I bet that they got the wrong yard.

9 Re: utility marking in backyard???? on Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:18 am

sputnik

avatar
contributor plus
contributor plus
grumpy old man wrote:You're okay with someone about to dig up your back yard without even the common courtesy of a how do you do?

Who said anything about digging up a back yard? In many communities the utility ROWs are shared between houses and when one house calls to have theirs marked it will often require markings on both sides of the fence.

Contractors are required to work a certain distance from utilities, so if the ROW is partly in Dean's backyard it must be marked there too before any digging can be done on his neighbour's yard.

10 Re: utility marking in backyard???? on Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:43 am

grumpy old man

avatar
administrator
administrator
It must be wonderful to be so all-fricken-knowing eh sput?

Someone marks my backyard and I even suspect they might be digging I get concerned. Unless of course I KNOW for a fact that that would not happen.


_________________
Yes, I really am that Grumpy...

It's their, they're and there; in Canada it's colour, cheque, rumour and zed...

11 Re: utility marking in backyard???? on Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:43 am

Stonekiller

avatar
contributor
contributor
I believe that yes they do have the right to come onto your property. They do so to read the meters all the time. I don't care if they come in my yard, not like they are letting themselves into your home.

12 Re: utility marking in backyard???? on Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:57 am

grumpy old man

avatar
administrator
administrator
Just because someone does something all the time does not mean they have the right to keep doing it.

I believe (sput - you tell me what is correct k?) there is implied permission to enter my property to read meters and deliver mail.

I don't believe there is permission to mark my property or dig in my yard without permission unless there is some kind of emergency.

If Hydro had to dig in my property to get at a leaking gas line that is one thing. Otherwise I fully expect to be consulted in advance.


_________________
Yes, I really am that Grumpy...

It's their, they're and there; in Canada it's colour, cheque, rumour and zed...

13 Re: utility marking in backyard???? on Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:00 pm

sputnik

avatar
contributor plus
contributor plus
grumpy old man wrote:Someone marks my backyard and I even suspect they might be digging I get concerned. Unless of course I KNOW for a fact that that would not happen.

A one minute conversation with your neighbour would probably be all that is necessary to clear up any fears you may have about the spray paint markings on your lawn.

14 Re: utility marking in backyard???? on Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:05 pm

Goth_chic

avatar
uber-contributor
uber-contributor
My backyard is fenced and I have a lock on the gate. Hydro, MTS and Shaw (I have a green box in my yard) have to come to my door to gain access. I do not want anyone coming into my yard to do anything without me knowing. Smile


_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

15 Re: utility marking in backyard???? on Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:13 pm

sputnik

avatar
contributor plus
contributor plus
grumpy old man wrote:I don't believe there is permission to mark my property or dig in my yard without permission unless there is some kind of emergency.

If Hydro had to dig in my property to get at a leaking gas line that is one thing. Otherwise I fully expect to be consulted in advance.

Partially correct.

The markings can be placed without permission on your lawn if you neighbour requests it for work being done on their property. They can even spray paint patios and other things if they fall over the utility ROW.

It is necessary because contractors need all markings for any potential utility a given distance from where they are working. Hydro for example requires markings within a 3 meter radius of ANY excavation project. In most residential scenarios this may require markings on an adjacent property.

That said. They won't dig (unless its an emergency) without giving you advanced notice.

16 Re: utility marking in backyard???? on Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:27 pm

sputnik

avatar
contributor plus
contributor plus
Goth_chic wrote:My backyard is fenced and I have a lock on the gate. Hydro, MTS and Shaw (I have a green box in my yard) have to come to my door to gain access. I do not want anyone coming into my yard to do anything without me knowing. Smile

They will climb your fence if you aren't home.

17 Re: utility marking in backyard???? on Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:33 pm

Goth_chic

avatar
uber-contributor
uber-contributor
LOL..I'd love to see them do that. They would need a ladder to get over my gate. Smile


_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

18 Re: utility marking in backyard???? on Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:35 pm

Goth_chic

avatar
uber-contributor
uber-contributor
If they did manage to climb my gate then they would have to deal with my dog....she isn't too fond of strangers coming onto her property, so if they have no fear of big dogs then go for it!!! LMAO Smile Oh and I do have Beware of Dog signs as well.


_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

19 Re: utility marking in backyard???? on Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:57 pm

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
sputnik wrote:
grumpy old man wrote:You're okay with someone about to dig up your back yard without even the common courtesy of a how do you do?

Who said anything about digging up a back yard? In many communities the utility ROWs are shared between houses and when one house calls to have theirs marked it will often require markings on both sides of the fence.

Contractors are required to work a certain distance from utilities, so if the ROW is partly in Dean's backyard it must be marked there too before any digging can be done on his neighbour's yard.

And my neighbours can just give people the right to go in my yard without asking??


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

20 Re: utility marking in backyard???? on Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:59 pm

Mantha

avatar
contributor plus
contributor plus
Not people, Hydro. Razz

http://yaciuk.blogspot.com

21 Re: utility marking in backyard???? on Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:59 pm

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
sputnik wrote:
grumpy old man wrote:Someone marks my backyard and I even suspect they might be digging I get concerned. Unless of course I KNOW for a fact that that would not happen.

A one minute conversation with your neighbour would probably be all that is necessary to clear up any fears you may have about the spray paint markings on your lawn.

yup.. a one minute talk FROM my neighbour would have done that. or even a note in my mailbox if I was not home.

Hey budy.. we are doing XXXX the utility company might need to come in your yard.. you okay with that?


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

22 Re: utility marking in backyard???? on Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:01 pm

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
anyway.. the markings are being removed tonight so it matters very little.


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

23 Re: utility marking in backyard???? on Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:29 pm

sputnik

avatar
contributor plus
contributor plus
Deank wrote:
sputnik wrote:
grumpy old man wrote:You're okay with someone about to dig up your back yard without even the common courtesy of a how do you do?

Who said anything about digging up a back yard? In many communities the utility ROWs are shared between houses and when one house calls to have theirs marked it will often require markings on both sides of the fence.

Contractors are required to work a certain distance from utilities, so if the ROW is partly in Dean's backyard it must be marked there too before any digging can be done on his neighbour's yard.

And my neighbours can just give people the right to go in my yard without asking??

You neighbours aren't giving them permission. You are.

By living in a house on a lot that contains a utility ROW you are essentially providing them access to the property when you take ownership of the house.

Hydro can ask if its okay with you. However you can't exactly say no because they have the right to mark anything on the ROW if requested by anyone.

24 Re: utility marking in backyard???? on Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:30 pm

sputnik

avatar
contributor plus
contributor plus
Deank wrote:anyway.. the markings are being removed tonight so it matters very little.

So what was the reason for the markings?

25 Re: utility marking in backyard???? on Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:31 pm

sputnik

avatar
contributor plus
contributor plus
Deank wrote:
sputnik wrote:
grumpy old man wrote:Someone marks my backyard and I even suspect they might be digging I get concerned. Unless of course I KNOW for a fact that that would not happen.

A one minute conversation with your neighbour would probably be all that is necessary to clear up any fears you may have about the spray paint markings on your lawn.

yup.. a one minute talk FROM my neighbour would have done that. or even a note in my mailbox if I was not home.

Hey budy.. we are doing XXXX the utility company might need to come in your yard.. you okay with that?

Chances are your neighbour had no idea that Hydro would have to put markings on your lawn.

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum