the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm


You are not connected. Please login or register

nurses care so much about patients they walk off the job

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

St Norberter

avatar
major-contributor
major-contributor
Yeah, sounds like that and the issue of their hours changing ( never mind that they would be changing to the hours that nurses in the same department at other hospitals worked)


_________________
It's all about the wheelie. Everything else is Bullshit.

http://bgilchrist.wordpress.com/
http://bgilchrist.wordpress.com/

Guest

avatar
Guest
Good timing eh.

Freeman

avatar
uber-contributor
uber-contributor
So why didn't the MNU and other health care unions put this in their ads that they ran before the election?

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
good question.. but you wont get an answer


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

darkwind

avatar
contributor
contributor
Scheduling changes are the number one reason nurses stay in or leave a job, in my experience. It makes a huge impact on your life, the pattern of shifts you work, etc. It affects how much energy you have to live your "real" life. Being on-call to get phoned in the middle of the night is definitely something significant that would change my job satisfaction. How many of you here work rotating shifts and on-call hours? It's not easy. I've seen nursing units decimated several times in my career due to scheduling and management issues, both. Every single time management changes the master schedule rotations, you get a significant staff turnover. On any unit. It's not new. It's just news because it affects the heart patients this time.

I also wonder about the issue of new management coming in - I have seen times where half the staff are leaving because of a particular boss, but so many won't say so in so many words. When you leave, move on, it's often really for multiple reasons, so you give the PC reasons rather than shooting yourself in the foot. If you say you are leaving because you hate your boss, it makes you look bad to every other employer. So people have to play the game.

If upper management really did know that staff were going to leave if they made these changes, but made them anyway without a contingency plan, who is really to blame.

Outsider

avatar
contributor plus
contributor plus
Strange that the HSC dept was closed for about 3 months and the FP just found out about it.

According to the article, HSC used to do 100 procedures per month.
The St B. is picking up about 20 extra per week.
What happened to the other 20 per month?

darkwind

avatar
contributor
contributor
DeanK, I read your comments on the freep and you really don't have a clue what you are talking about. All that happened here is that several nurses took jobs in other departments. It looks like a mass exodus (and probably is) because they are leaving X____ department that reporters deem semi-newsworthy. But really, you can't stop nurses from applying for jobs in other departments when they want to move on. It's the prerogative of the hiring manager in the new job if they want to hire that nurse. But it's not like you can put a freeze on hiring JimRN into another dept (that needs staff or the new job wouldn't have been posted) just because he came from X___ department that you need to keep open.

People leave all kinds of jobs due to scheduling concerns (don't we all have lives and families), and people leave all kinds of jobs if they know their boss is going to cause a tense atmosphere at work. Life is too short for that. In every career. With the changes to moving around the city to different sites and adding on-call nights into the schedule to people who never had to do that - it's not surprising some left.

It's not like new nurses are refusing to work there. If they have difficulty recruiting new staff,that's supply and demand reality. Many units go through a time where they are having a hard time finding nurses that want to work there and positions are left vacant. People just don't want to stay in a place where they are not happy at work. It's been three months, what kind of huge WRHA can't cope with a few nurses moving on in three months?? I really do think there might be bigger problems, either that or the freep is late to the table and the story is no longer that dramatic.

The best nurses in the world are the ones that are satisfied in their jobs. Unfortunately, the job itself isn't rewarding enough to outweigh the detractors of scheduling changes, tension from managers, etc. After a while, those things wear you down. Kudos to those nurses who left, imo, that they recognized they could not be happy in that situation and moving on, rather than staying and perhaps becoming unhappy nurses who don't do as good of a job.

Outsider

avatar
contributor plus
contributor plus
I really don't understand why the nurses were complaining.
Its only working between the St.B. and the HSC.
According to Google, they are about 10 minutes apart.
Its not like they were working in Winnipeg on Monday and Brandon on Tuesday.

darkwind

avatar
contributor
contributor
Outsider wrote:I really don't understand why the nurses were complaining.
Its only working between the St.B. and the HSC.
According to Google, they are about 10 minutes apart.
Its not like they were working in Winnipeg on Monday and Brandon on Tuesday.

I'd be willing to bet the other issues mattered more, (or at least as much) but put all together it made the whole package look less appealing. Frankly, when a workplace is going through a time io significant changes, it is almost expected to get a high turnover of staff.

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
and if they want to quitand go to another employer fine.. but not same employer. its that simple

spoiled little brats who think they are better then the rest of us and can dictate how the health of our province is run

they cant and they should not be allowed to
but they were allowed to and the health of many manitobans sufferred because of them..


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

darkwind

avatar
contributor
contributor
Dude, if you are a critical care or acute care rn in Winnipeg, there IS only wrha. Are you saying that nurses should have to stay if they become unhappy in their job? That's a breeding ground for burnout and decreased quality of care. You don't even know where people moved on TO, but you can bet those nurses are filling shortages in other areas.

Possibly other areas that don't make as good news copy as the cardiac program, mind you. The real solution is to fill positions when people move on, not to prevent people from moving on. Fresh blood can revive a place.

I don't think I see ANY cath lab jobs on the wrha posting site right now....

darkwind

avatar
contributor
contributor
Deank wrote:and if they want to quitand go to another employer fine.. but not same employer. its that simple

spoiled little brats who think they are better then the rest of us and can dictate how the health of our province is run

they cant and they should not be allowed to
but they were allowed to and the health of many manitobans sufferred because of them..

.... and why do you blame the nurses and not the management for creating this situation? It's not like nurses are doing this as a personal affront against you or someone you love, your rants feel a touch personal to me.

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
nope they can move or take a job outside of hospital work

JUST LIKE ANY OTHER EMPLOYEE



_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

darkwind

avatar
contributor
contributor
Deank wrote:nope they can move or take a job outside of hospital work

JUST LIKE ANY OTHER EMPLOYEE



lol.... and that's why you're not a manager! You sure as heck wouldn't have too many staff working for you under that tone. king

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
sorry for just replying and notqouting. stupid ipad is being stupid


It is personal it should be personal with every manitoban. these asshat nurses made everyone elses health suffer because of their own personal reasons. jobs change, especially in health care where we are trying to get every single penny of use. What these nurses could have done is say. I dont like these changes, however if you will allow me another job in the system I will train the new employees and then move on


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
just like the latest little article about the doctors

"agreeing to implement" xxx strategy

you goddamn rights you agree to it..otherwise frick off and go start your own province somewhere OR run for elected office


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

darkwind

avatar
contributor
contributor
Deank wrote:sorry for just replying and notqouting. stupid ipad is being stupid


What these nurses could have done is say. I dont like these changes, however if you will allow me another job in the system I will train the new employees and then move on

Ummmmm that IS what happens.

What creates a situation where new nurses are not hired fast enough for the olbies to train them up? Managers who say "my way or the highway" (sort of like you seem to be saying) and don't get on top of that recruitment and training bandwagon fast enough. Managers are told to EXPECT staff turnover when a new boss is hired, why isn't a big organization like WRHA planning for it. It also sounds like these nurses TOLD the top brass they could expect staff to leave, and top management did nothing about it.

So whose fault is it that the unit is understaffed and can't function?????

This idea that a caring profession means people should have to take sh1t in their jobs just because of the patients is bunk. Haven't you or a loved one ever been cared for by an unhappy nurse who probably should not have been working? Satisfaction makes a difference to quality of patient care as well as to the life of the employee doing that care. Like I said above, the satisfaction of working with your patients isn't enough to combat tension at work, scheduling stress, etc. Sorry, but is just isn't.

It doesn't make people "asshats" to be honest about that, it makes them honest and professional and adult enough to know when it's time to move on.

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
and staff haveevery right to leave

the entire organization. if they could not leave so easily and keep their jobs. they wous suck it. up and learn what its liketo work in the real world


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

darkwind

avatar
contributor
contributor
Deank wrote:and staff haveevery right to leave

the entire organization. if they could not leave so easily and keep their jobs. they wous suck it. up and learn what its liketo work in the real world

What makes you think the hospital isn't the real world? Like I said, you sound really not knowledgeable about the stresses and strains of that kind of work.

I really hope you have the pleasure of being taken care of by a burnt out nurse who could have moved on but chose not to. Because that's what you are telling me you want. Tough it out, right? What happens to the patients caught in that?? Don't you care about them?

darkwind

avatar
contributor
contributor
BTW, here is the job posting site for WRHA. You can just click all facilities, all types of jobs and you get a listing of everything that is open. I don't see any cath or angio jobs.... http://www.brainhunter.com/frontoffice/enterSeekerHomeAction.do?sitecode=pl545

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
nurses are NO different then anyone else


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

Jondo

avatar
major-contributor
major-contributor
I agree. I'm tired of the ransom dynamic that the nursing contingent has evolved to. Fact is - we need to start expecting people to be responsible for their own primary health (diet and activity) versus going bankrupt on the care side. No amount of money can keep up with the self-inflicted health decline that we're seeing. I was at the HSC at 6am this morning for an MRI brain scan (tumor) and it made me sick seeing people outside the building when I left (7am) in wheelchairs - hooked up to drips while they smoked. I regularly see people outside in wheelchairs with missing limbs, grossly obese, smoking, eating chips, drinking pop etc. We have a healthcare shortfall/crisis?? Huh?? We have a personal responsibilty crisis - which nobody wants to talk about. This will change. I know that because it is wholly unsustainable.

darkwind

avatar
contributor
contributor
Deank wrote:nurses are NO different then anyone else

Nobody said they were.

They did leave for different positions. The fact that "WRHA" owns all of acute care is not the nurses fault. You would have people trapped with no options.

I know it's upsetting that a cath lab closed, but iron fisted management only serves to make those in charge feel righteous. On a practical, "this is how real people react to how their supervisors treat them", it would only make things worse. Wasn't there a thread about customer service deteriorating? Think about a life on the line and not just your phone bill. Lots of less than ideal management in lots of places.

darkwind

avatar
contributor
contributor
Jondo wrote:I agree. I'm tired of the ransom dynamic that the nursing contingent has evolved to. Fact is - we need to start expecting people to be responsible for their own primary health (diet and activity) versus going bankrupt on the care side. No amount of money can keep up with the self-inflicted health decline that we're seeing. I was at the HSC at 6am this morning for an MRI brain scan (tumor) and it made me sick seeing people outside the building when I left (7am) in wheelchairs - hooked up to drips while they smoked. I regularly see people outside in wheelchairs with missing limbs, grossly obese, smoking, eating chips, drinking pop etc. We have a healthcare shortfall/crisis?? Huh?? We have a personal responsibilty crisis - which nobody wants to talk about. This will change. I know that because it is wholly unsustainable.

So when you end up in hospital, can we judge your imperfections and refuse to treat you then?

I agree about needing more personal responsibility, but it isn't that simple.

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum