the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm


You are not connected. Please login or register

is the wagon wheel overrated?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26 Re: is the wagon wheel overrated? on Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:49 pm

Deank


contributor eminence
contributor eminence
My wife ( the real clubhouse expert ) has had all of those except Nicks Inn,

She actually rates the Salsibury house one higher then Paddle Wheel and White Star, but the Wagon Wheel is still tops.

27 Re: is the wagon wheel overrated? on Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:53 pm

grumpy old man

avatar
administrator
administrator
Heh, never tried a Sal's clubhouse either...


_________________
Yes, I really am that Grumpy...

It's their, they're and there; in Canada it's colour, cheque, rumour and zed...

28 Re: is the wagon wheel overrated? on Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:04 pm

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
its okayish .. its the quintessential truck stop clubhouse


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

29 Re: is the wagon wheel overrated? on Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:05 pm

sputnik

avatar
contributor plus
contributor plus
Stonekiller wrote:The same could be said about Kelekis and any other Winnipeg Restaurant that has been around for a while. Culinary uniqueness isn't what keeps these places going. These places must be doing something right. It may not be the most amazing sandwich you've ever had, but I would fathom that it is consistently good from day to day.

Sometimes places like that stay open out of convenience and lack of competition.

Take Lovey's as a good example. Its really the only BBQ joint in Winnipeg right now (until Famous Daves and Woody's gets here) and I know people that rave about the place.

However if you are familiar with other US BBQ places (chain and independent) and try Lovey's you will find that Lovey's is VERY dry, the meat is often over cooked and is quite poorly seasoned. Their sides are also mediocre and their sauces all taste the same.

Lovey's might do well in Winnipeg right now, but its only because they have no competition in their genre and not because they are a terribly good BBQ joint.

30 Re: is the wagon wheel overrated? on Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:08 pm

Guest

avatar
Guest
Yup. You've nailed it.

A major reason the Wagon Wheel has been around so long is because of its location. There are few restaurants downtown that are available for the lunch crowd.

31 Re: is the wagon wheel overrated? on Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:20 pm

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
JTF wrote:Yup. You've nailed it.

A major reason the Wagon Wheel has been around so long is because of its location. There are few restaurants downtown that are available for the lunch crowd.

I can count 40 off the top of my head.


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

32 Re: is the wagon wheel overrated? on Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:23 pm

Stonekiller

avatar
contributor
contributor
sputnik wrote:
Stonekiller wrote:The same could be said about Kelekis and any other Winnipeg Restaurant that has been around for a while. Culinary uniqueness isn't what keeps these places going. These places must be doing something right. It may not be the most amazing sandwich you've ever had, but I would fathom that it is consistently good from day to day.

Sometimes places like that stay open out of convenience and lack of competition.

Take Lovey's as a good example. Its really the only BBQ joint in Winnipeg right now (until Famous Daves and Woody's gets here) and I know people that rave about the place.

However if you are familiar with other US BBQ places (chain and independent) and try Lovey's you will find that Lovey's is VERY dry, the meat is often over cooked and is quite poorly seasoned. Their sides are also mediocre and their sauces all taste the same.

Lovey's might do well in Winnipeg right now, but its only because they have no competition in their genre and not because they are a terribly good BBQ joint.

Lovey's is fairly specialized, however The Wagon Wheel, and Kelekis aren't. There are so many food places that have better food than those two place, yet have been around longer than most of us have been alive. Something has to be said about consistency and atmosphere, otherwise places like Kelekis would have closed up a long time ago.

33 Re: is the wagon wheel overrated? on Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:32 pm

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
yeah I definitely dont get Kelekis.


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

34 Re: is the wagon wheel overrated? on Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:33 pm

grumpy old man

avatar
administrator
administrator
I like food.


_________________
Yes, I really am that Grumpy...

It's their, they're and there; in Canada it's colour, cheque, rumour and zed...

35 Re: is the wagon wheel overrated? on Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:57 pm

sputnik

avatar
contributor plus
contributor plus
Deank wrote:
JTF wrote:Yup. You've nailed it.

A major reason the Wagon Wheel has been around so long is because of its location. There are few restaurants downtown that are available for the lunch crowd.

I can count 40 off the top of my head.

I work near Portage Place and if you take the crappy food courts at Portage Place and City Place out of the equation, there aren't many good options within a few blocks of say Portage and Carlton.

Especially if you just want to order something to go and eat at your desk.

36 Re: is the wagon wheel overrated? on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:11 pm

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
You need to get out more Smile


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

37 Re: is the wagon wheel overrated? on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:38 pm

sputnik

avatar
contributor plus
contributor plus
Deank wrote:You need to get out more Smile

Considering I never bring a lunch... I would say that I get out enough.

Where would you go within walking distance of the Hydro building?

38 Re: is the wagon wheel overrated? on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:46 pm

grumpy old man

avatar
administrator
administrator
Wagon Wheel


_________________
Yes, I really am that Grumpy...

It's their, they're and there; in Canada it's colour, cheque, rumour and zed...

39 Re: is the wagon wheel overrated? on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:55 pm

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
well there is the obvious Like Mitzis, tavern, E&C, and those two places attached to the MTS centre, Earls,

then Oscar's Deli (one of the best burgers in the city), East India Pub and Eatery, One night in Bangkok, Affinity (vegetarian), Paragon, Convention Centre eatery, Rib Room, Jackpot Cafe ( basement of lottery building), Ivory, High and Lonesome club, Jacksprat?? Deli( the one above the pony coral), the canada post cafeteria, that little hole in the wall in the walk way just by the library near the canada post cafe, the woodsworth building cafeteria (kinda hit and miss tho),


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

40 Re: is the wagon wheel overrated? on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:57 pm

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
oo.. Pastels... forgot to include that one.


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

41 Re: is the wagon wheel overrated? on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:11 pm

Stonekiller

avatar
contributor
contributor
There is also the Line Up, Hy's, VJ's, The Toad, BP, Pony Corral, Hu's on First, Olde Spag Factory, Muddy Waters...

Though I miss the Taste of Sri Lanka in the exchange... That was a decent lunch.

42 Re: is the wagon wheel overrated? on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:22 pm

sputnik

avatar
contributor plus
contributor plus
Deank wrote:well there is the obvious Like Mitzis, tavern, E&C, and those two places attached to the MTS centre, Earls,

then Oscar's Deli (one of the best burgers in the city), East India Pub and Eatery, One night in Bangkok, Affinity (vegetarian), Paragon, Convention Centre eatery, Rib Room, Jackpot Cafe ( basement of lottery building), Ivory, High and Lonesome club, Jacksprat?? Deli( the one above the pony coral), the canada post cafeteria, that little hole in the wall in the walk way just by the library near the canada post cafe, the woodsworth building cafeteria (kinda hit and miss tho),

Since when were the some of those places within walking distance of Portage Place when going for a quick lunch? The High and Lonesome Club, Earls or Ivory is a serious walk from Portage and Carlton. As is the Woodsworth Cafeteria, but I wouldn't even bother going there a second time. It is terrible.

MTS Centre only has Moxies and Tim Hortons now. The Arby's is gone.

The CanadaPost cafeteria and the place next to it have been gone for a few months now.

43 Re: is the wagon wheel overrated? on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:22 pm

sputnik

avatar
contributor plus
contributor plus
Stonekiller wrote:Though I miss the Taste of Sri Lanka in the exchange... That was a decent lunch.

There is one in the Shops of Winnipeg Square.

44 Re: is the wagon wheel overrated? on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:24 pm

grumpy old man

avatar
administrator
administrator
Food is a mostly subjective thing.


_________________
Yes, I really am that Grumpy...

It's their, they're and there; in Canada it's colour, cheque, rumour and zed...

45 Re: is the wagon wheel overrated? on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:30 pm

Stonekiller

avatar
contributor
contributor
sputnik wrote:
Stonekiller wrote:Though I miss the Taste of Sri Lanka in the exchange... That was a decent lunch.

There is one in the Shops of Winnipeg Square.

Not the same. This was full on Indian Buffet. Not what they can stuff on a plate.

46 Re: is the wagon wheel overrated? on Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:04 pm

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
sputnik wrote:
Deank wrote:well there is the obvious Like Mitzis, tavern, E&C, and those two places attached to the MTS centre, Earls,

then Oscar's Deli (one of the best burgers in the city), East India Pub and Eatery, One night in Bangkok, Affinity (vegetarian), Paragon, Convention Centre eatery, Rib Room, Jackpot Cafe ( basement of lottery building), Ivory, High and Lonesome club, Jacksprat?? Deli( the one above the pony coral), the canada post cafeteria, that little hole in the wall in the walk way just by the library near the canada post cafe, the woodsworth building cafeteria (kinda hit and miss tho),

Since when were the some of those places within walking distance of Portage Place when going for a quick lunch? The High and Lonesome Club, Earls or Ivory is a serious walk from Portage and Carlton. As is the Woodsworth Cafeteria, but I wouldn't even bother going there a second time. It is terrible.

MTS Centre only has Moxies and Tim Hortons now. The Arby's is gone.

The CanadaPost cafeteria and the place next to it have been gone for a few months now.

all within walking distance for me Smile


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

47 Re: is the wagon wheel overrated? on Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:21 pm

sputnik

avatar
contributor plus
contributor plus
Deank wrote:
sputnik wrote:
Deank wrote:well there is the obvious Like Mitzis, tavern, E&C, and those two places attached to the MTS centre, Earls,

then Oscar's Deli (one of the best burgers in the city), East India Pub and Eatery, One night in Bangkok, Affinity (vegetarian), Paragon, Convention Centre eatery, Rib Room, Jackpot Cafe ( basement of lottery building), Ivory, High and Lonesome club, Jacksprat?? Deli( the one above the pony coral), the canada post cafeteria, that little hole in the wall in the walk way just by the library near the canada post cafe, the woodsworth building cafeteria (kinda hit and miss tho),

Since when were the some of those places within walking distance of Portage Place when going for a quick lunch? The High and Lonesome Club, Earls or Ivory is a serious walk from Portage and Carlton. As is the Woodsworth Cafeteria, but I wouldn't even bother going there a second time. It is terrible.

MTS Centre only has Moxies and Tim Hortons now. The Arby's is gone.

The CanadaPost cafeteria and the place next to it have been gone for a few months now.

all within walking distance for me Smile

Not all of us get a 2 hour lunch break.

48 Re: is the wagon wheel overrated? on Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:26 pm

grumpy old man

avatar
administrator
administrator
Too bad. They are great...


_________________
Yes, I really am that Grumpy...

It's their, they're and there; in Canada it's colour, cheque, rumour and zed...

49 Re: is the wagon wheel overrated? on Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:39 pm

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
sputnik wrote:
Deank wrote:
sputnik wrote:
Deank wrote:well there is the obvious Like Mitzis, tavern, E&C, and those two places attached to the MTS centre, Earls,

then Oscar's Deli (one of the best burgers in the city), East India Pub and Eatery, One night in Bangkok, Affinity (vegetarian), Paragon, Convention Centre eatery, Rib Room, Jackpot Cafe ( basement of lottery building), Ivory, High and Lonesome club, Jacksprat?? Deli( the one above the pony coral), the canada post cafeteria, that little hole in the wall in the walk way just by the library near the canada post cafe, the woodsworth building cafeteria (kinda hit and miss tho),

Since when were the some of those places within walking distance of Portage Place when going for a quick lunch? The High and Lonesome Club, Earls or Ivory is a serious walk from Portage and Carlton. As is the Woodsworth Cafeteria, but I wouldn't even bother going there a second time. It is terrible.

MTS Centre only has Moxies and Tim Hortons now. The Arby's is gone.

The CanadaPost cafeteria and the place next to it have been gone for a few months now.

all within walking distance for me Smile

Not all of us get a 2 hour lunch break.
hah!
order ahead,
walk over pick it up
walk back,

eat at desk or on your walk back

Note.. you will not be able to eat Oscars Deli Burger while walking


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum