the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm


You are not connected. Please login or register

For People Who May Not Have Read The Winnipeg Free Press Thursday

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

grumpy old man

avatar
administrator
administrator
Caldwell made a really stupid comment a few years ago that got him in serious hot water. I'll see if I can find it.

In any event the dude comes across as a little smarmy.


_________________
Yes, I really am that Grumpy...

It's their, they're and there; in Canada it's colour, cheque, rumour and zed...

Freeman

avatar
uber-contributor
uber-contributor
Champagne socialists.



Not meaning to take a jab at womens rights or anything like that, but why doesn't Caldwell's wife share his last name? Hyphenated at least.



Interesting that one of comments to the article was written by Derry Decter, a director of the same organization, and the husband of the current mayor of Brandon.

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
oh dont worry outsider, the NDP will investigate and if he did do something wrong they will assure us it was accidental and that he will say sorry.

on a slightly different note.
(anyone notice who some of the directors were that just got appointed to the new ligour/gambling board?) odd how some of those people are qualified for this position.


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

Freeman

avatar
uber-contributor
uber-contributor
Damn right they're qualified. It says so on their NDP membership card.

St Norberter

avatar
major-contributor
major-contributor
Why the hell isn't this all over the front page of the paper.

Such a sh1t rag the free press is.


_________________
It's all about the wheelie. Everything else is Bullshit.

http://bgilchrist.wordpress.com/
http://bgilchrist.wordpress.com/

St Norberter

avatar
major-contributor
major-contributor
Deank wrote:oh dont worry outsider, the NDP will investigate and if he did do something wrong they will assure us it was accidental and that he will say sorry.

on a slightly different note.
(anyone notice who some of the directors were that just got appointed to the new ligour/gambling board?) odd how some of those people are qualified for this position.

What the hell is with that BOD? Seems like it should be more suited to MPI.

And Viewpoints research, that's Gary Doer's wife's company, so you know how the vice chair got there.

The nurse - is that Paul Moist's wife?

And the practicing lawyer - they conveniently left out that he's a member of the Provincial NDP executive,

Cronyism at it's best.

This arrogant bunch of jackasses just keeps getting more and more corrupt!


_________________
It's all about the wheelie. Everything else is Bullshit.

http://bgilchrist.wordpress.com/
http://bgilchrist.wordpress.com/

AGEsAces

avatar
moderator
moderator
Freeman wrote:Not meaning to take a jab at womens rights or anything like that, but why doesn't Caldwell's wife share his last name? Hyphenated at least.

How is that a woman's rights issue?

Just a note, my wife doesn't have my last name, even hyphenated...and I'm probably more "right-wing" than most people you'd meet (just read my posts).

Taking a name is an individual right...and should be a choice for anyone...not an expectation.

Just like I have the option to change my name legally.

http://www.photage.ca

rosencrentz

avatar
uber-contributor
uber-contributor
Does anyone have a problem with a non-profit corporation applying for funds?

This would be a fantastic benefit for Brandon, to have a 450 seat theater!

I cann't see them raising the $500,000 locally, but if thy get everyone else's grant money, they should be OK!



This is what happens with grants. You apply and apply and hope that you get some of the money.

Winnipeg has 64 non-profit community centers and many have someone doing nothing but applying for grants.

That is the way the system works.

Look at the Human Rights Museum- a perfect example of the system working as planned!


_________________
They cut my back open ! Help!
http://www.elansofas.com

Outsider

avatar
contributor plus
contributor plus
rosencrentz wrote:
Winnipeg has 64 non-profit community centers and many have someone doing nothing but applying for grants.

If Winnipeg has people whose sole job is applying for grants, then its definitely time to change the system.
Or else Manitoba will end up in the same leaky boats as countries like Greece.

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
its their sole VOLUNTEER job, and most of the applications are turned down


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

Outsider

avatar
contributor plus
contributor plus
Deank wrote:its their sole VOLUNTEER job, and most of the applications are turned down
What are the other ways community centres can raise funds which are allowed by the city besides applying for grants?

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
renting out space...if they have space

for sports, meetings, baby shower, dances whatever

if they have space

bingo
poker
raffles


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
carnivals
sports tournaments
beer gardens
garage sales


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

Deank

avatar
contributor eminence
contributor eminence
it all gets down to number of voluteers and how many hours they want to put in

many "volunteers". dont even put in enough hours to fulfill the effort of putting thei name on a CCwebsite, others put in hundreds or thousands per year for nothing,


_________________
Why do we call them fingers if no one has ever seen them fing?

Freeman

avatar
uber-contributor
uber-contributor
AGEsAces wrote:
Freeman wrote:Not meaning to take a jab at womens rights or anything like that, but why doesn't Caldwell's wife share his last name? Hyphenated at least.

How is that a woman's rights issue?

Just a note, my wife doesn't have my last name, even hyphenated...and I'm probably more "right-wing" than most people you'd meet (just read my posts).


Taking a name is an individual right...and should be a choice for anyone...not an expectation.

Just like I have the option to change my name legally.



It has been held out by the feminist movement that changing surnames at marriage takes the individuality away from a woman.



If you want to change your name, go for it.



In this discussion, I find it noteworthy that the surname of a board member is not the same as her MLA husband who is using his position to lobby for something that his wife is involved in.

Freeman

avatar
uber-contributor
uber-contributor
rosencrentz wrote:Does anyone have a problem with a non-profit corporation applying for funds?

This would be a fantastic benefit for Brandon, to have a 450 seat theater!

I cann't see them raising the $500,000 locally, but if thy get everyone else's grant money, they should be OK!



This is what happens with grants. You apply and apply and hope that you get some of the money.

Winnipeg has 64 non-profit community centers and many have someone doing nothing but applying for grants.

That is the way the system works.

Look at the Human Rights Museum- a perfect example of the system working as planned!



The issue is not applying for grants but the politicalization of the process. Seems everyone likes to b1tch if a "friend" of Katz gets something out of City Hall, but its ok for an NDP MLA to openly lobby for something that his wife is involved in.



As far as applying for grants, go for it, but the politicians have gone to great lengths to apprently remove them from the process, but, case in point, they are active when they want to. If they want to politicize it, fine, just get rid of the bureacracies that absorb a large portion of the grant money, and they can distribute it themselves, and take the heat from those who don't receive the money.



As far as the cc's, it just further illustrates how screwed up that whole process is. Time for an overhaul.

Freeman

avatar
uber-contributor
uber-contributor
As DeanK explains, there are other options for cc's to increase revenue, but much of that is dependent on the resources they have, both physical and human. A small cc doesn't have space for rentals, carnivals and the like. Likewise a small catchment area, means access to fewer volunteers. As participation declines, it becomes more difficult to draw volunteers. The larger cc's (Dakota, Southdale, Central Corydon, Valour) continue to grow and the smaller ones continue to decline. But, thats the plan. The concept of Super Centres has been out for a long time, but it is not stated publicly.

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum